Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,067,383 times

Advertisements

Facebook is killing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
I grew up going to an enormous extended family reunion each year in southwestern Ohio, and we frequently attended smaller family parties (but still big by today's standards) a few times a year. We all lived in the same general area, and the family was very close. As time has gone by, though, the dozen siblings who were at the center of the events have mostly died. My grandfather is one only a few who survive, and he's in his nineties. So, no, we don't have those reunions any longer. I miss them.

I know very little about what happened to the other grandchildren and their children/grandchildren. Of course, how could I possibly keep track? The numbers have gotten HUGE! A dozen siblings multiplied by four-to-five children each, all of their children, and now yet another generation, and that's just one line. I don't know how I could possibly keep track of all of those people, so I tend to focus on staying in touch with my surviving grandfather, my parents, my siblings, and their children. That's more than enough.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM

7,686 posts, read 13,090,446 times
Cool reunions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Facebook is killing them.
You are soon the money with that statement!

But what else is killing them is, "texting while in the present of others". That last reunion I attended, I was trying to have a conversation with my older sister and all she wanted to do is, "sit there and text someone else the whole time". So I got up and walked away from here. The funny part is, she's the one who keeps pushing for a annual reunion and anytime you want to find her, "Just look on FB".

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 PM

30,463 posts, read 17,888,365 times
Unfortunately, I haven't been to a real family reunion. But most of my father's family doesn't live in the US, and my mother's family stopped having real reunions when my great grandmother died (and I never went to one while she was living, unfortunately).

Old 05-02-2016, 12:07 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
My 6 siblings and I have gotten together with our families including the grandparents, cousins and some aunts and uncles every two years, for a week, since we were young adults in our 20s. We rotated locations by taking turns choosing, and if it was our turn we would rent the houses, plan the activities, and collect money for a food kitty.

Now our kids are in their 20 and 30s and they don't seem motivated to keep it up. If one of the parents suggests a reunion, then the cousins are on board, but they're several years older than we were when we took the initiative and haven't taken over. We hear a lot more complaints about cost too. The cousins always have a great time together, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it appears as though we'll be relying more on weddings and funerals to see each other now.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,734,916 times
Facebook is replacing family reunions.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,352 times
Hello aries63, I think you and the others do have a point. I myself have rarely been to any true family reunions - in fact, the only "true ones" (which had upwards of 50 or so people) took place on my dad's side of the family, down in Cairo, Georgia and Havana, Florida, and maybe a few other places. (I live in Birmingham but since my mom and dad are divorced, I spend a lot of time in Tallahassee, where he lives.)
But the last time I went to a family reunion, I was real young - I'd say no older than 13 at the oldest, and I'm now about to turn 20.
The last "big ones" I can remember are from when I was around 5.

I do think these big get togethers are starting to become a thing in the past, if they're not already - especially in
big cities. It is true, as I can say so first hand; the internet generation just isn't interested like the baby boomers or even great depression/prohibition generations previously were. It's sad, but sometimes reality is ugly.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
When my maternal grandmother was dying of cancer, my aunt (her daughter-in-law) organized a family reunion so everyone would get to say goodbye to her. There was one more family reunion the year after that but that was it. Both times it was done as a picnic at a large public park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy