U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM

20 posts, read 17,594 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 PM

816 posts, read 725,628 times
Not surprising since Spain is European. I thought she did a DNA test when she did an older show with Henry Gates, though it was a bit ago.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:34 PM

9,528 posts, read 20,321,878 times
Our education system needs some work if even a successful woman like her never learned that Spain is part of Europe. Anymore the US media treats 100% European Spaniards like they are racial minorities.

On a more general note it is common for people to identify more with the underdog nations on their family tree. There is probably more English ancestry in the USA and yet almost no English heritage festivals but tons of Scottish festivals. In my own family - England and Scotland dominate the family tree - there are people who still hate England for how they treated Scotland. The same thing plays out for racially mixed people, they tend to disown their European ancestors and identify more with their Native American and / or African ones.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 3,378 times
@censusdata
nice point made by you.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 AM

816 posts, read 725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Our education system needs some work if even a successful woman like her never learned that Spain is part of Europe. Anymore the US media treats 100% European Spaniards like they are racial minorities.

On a more general note it is common for people to identify more with the underdog nations on their family tree. There is probably more English ancestry in the USA and yet almost no English heritage festivals but tons of Scottish festivals. In my own family - England and Scotland dominate the family tree - there are people who still hate England for how they treated Scotland. The same thing plays out for racially mixed people, they tend to disown their European ancestors and identify more with their Native American and / or African ones.
True, on top of all that Humans have a long pattern of being attracted to things that are different, something that stands out from the rest.

Regarding Alba and Spain as being part of Europe. I blame the host for that. She lacked a confidence in that knowledge but she responded with the right idea and seemed to connect the dots pretty quick that her name was probably Spanish hence European in DNA, the host's vague answer and avoidance seems to have added more confusion... really that was a horribly presented sequence by the host.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:11 AM

2,922 posts, read 4,449,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There is probably more English ancestry in the USA and yet almost no English heritage festivals but tons of Scottish festivals. In my own family - England and Scotland dominate the family tree - there are people who still hate England for how they treated Scotland.
There was also that little thing called the American Revolution. Caused a lot of Americans to "disown" their English roots and forge a new identity.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 AM

2,922 posts, read 4,449,814 times
About the video, it was really sad that you could tell Alba really wanted to know her ancestry breakdown, but they are using some company that found that Larry David was Native American. I mean, come on. The guests are being cheated.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM

5,086 posts, read 12,492,911 times
What did she think she was?
I always thought she was Mexican.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,731,213 times
Why did she do it again? Gates did it for her and the results showed that she was the most "mixed" person ever to be on his show. I still remember when he said that, and she nodded her head. His company showed that she is Spanish and other European, Native Mexican Indian and African.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:32 PM

585 posts, read 420,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
True, on top of all that Humans have a long pattern of being attracted to things that are different, something that stands out from the rest.

Regarding Alba and Spain as being part of Europe. I blame the host for that. She lacked a confidence in that knowledge but she responded with the right idea and seemed to connect the dots pretty quick that her name was probably Spanish hence European in DNA, the host's vague answer and avoidance seems to have added more confusion... really that was a horribly presented sequence by the host.
Anyone should know that the vast majority of Mexicans have Spanish surnames and that this does not necessarily indicate Spanish descent, their ancestors may simply have been given Spanish names. Alba's results are right in line with what is to be expected of a child of a European-descended mother and a father of 100% Mexican descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy