Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:49 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh, I forgot to include this one above, because I've posted about the issue before.

My Mom swore up and down that her paternal grandparents, my great-grandparents, had come over from Germany to Philadelphia, then died in the Flu Pandemic of 1918. I don't know if my mother's father (who I never knew) told her this, or if she just created this story because she didn't know anything, and then she came to believe it over the years.

What I learned later was that, although these great-grandparents had German heritage, they were both born in Philadelphia, and their parents had come over from regions that later became "Germany" in the mid-late 1800s. None of them died in the Flu Pandemic.

My mom inherited that kind of storytelling from her grandmother (see my earlier post). They paint a picture of history that they decide is better than history, so it "becomes" fact.
Mine came over in '14, In a wave of Ethnic Germans from Russia arriving into Philly. Those they left behind were forced into boxcars by Stalin in '41. I traced them down and made a visit in '00. I remember both my GG's well. GG pa lived until he was 92. most of their stories were from after they came to the US. They didn't talk to much about the old country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I have lots of great memories and stories of my great grandparents.

My maternal great grandfather (mom's grandfather) was born in "the country" in Kentucky and his wife, my great grandmother was born in Ohio in the city I now live in as was her mother and grandmother. Grandad (what I called my great grandfather), was therefore "country" and he trapped and killed squirrels, rabbits, racoons, and possums in his citified neighborhood. I remember looking outside from a 2nd floor porch/balcony to their backyard and seeing a lot of bunnies and squirrels in the neighbors yard and asking Granddad how come they didn't have any animals in their yard. He said "cause they know better than to be in our yard. They know they'll end up in the pot!" lol.

Grandad, IMO was the last breed of great men of the "Greatest Generation" class. He was just a wonderful man. He died of a heart attack at a bowling alley in the mid 1990s after bowling a strike.

He came from a very fractured family, he had 3 siblings to die young (one was 16, on 11 and one was 3 years old). His mother died when he was 10 years old and so as an adult he was very family oriented. He didn't tell me a lot about his own family though but he was just a great man and people who remember him today still tell me what a wonderful man he was and a great singer. He also made wine in the basement!

His wife, my great grandmother was very beautiful and known to be stern and blunt. I am a lot like her in the blunt-ness. She was very talented and painted ceramics, she knitted and sewed and embroidered and baked (like expert baking she did wedding cakes for extra money a few times a year that I helped her put together).

I bothered her a lot when I got into genealogy. She gave me the family bible and many picture books of the family and she told me about her mom and her grandmother. She also told me some lies I found out in that she said we were "part Indian" and she said her grandmother was from Oklahoma. I found out her grandmother was born in Ohio where we are from in the 1850s lol. Other family members said she (grandma) may not have known about her grandmother, but her grandmother lived with grandma until she died in the 1950s and she was 91 years old.

On my dad's side, I don't remember my great grandfather all that well. He died when I was 5 but I do remember he was very nice and had a comforting southern drawl. He was from SC. He also adored his wife, who I later found out was my step great grandmother. My biological great grandmother died in the 1930s after falling/jumping, or being pushed out of a hospital window when she was 25 years old. My "Granny" married my great grandfather in 1940 and so I never knew any other great grandmother on that side. She was a very stern woman as well and could be hard on people in regards to their appearance and especially on education. She expected excellence and I adored her because I believe, like she believed that when much is expected (especially of children) much is achieved. Her family was one of the founding families of the first black Baptist church in our area and they were well known and respected people.

My dad's maternal grandmother, who I also called Granny was also a wonderful woman. She died in 2003 and was very kind and loving. She had 10 children die before the age of 5 and endured domestic violence at the hands of her first husband, my great grandfather but later left him and found happiness after moving away from that area. She liked to dance and party and loved her family and IMO was my great grandparent who was the most down to earth and lovable like grandmothers are.

The only of my great grandparents who told a lot of stories was my grandma mentioned above who painted and baked, etc. She was a very interesting woman and told me lots of funny stories about her family members. It has been interesting to see names on documents via my research that I remember her speaking about these people. I spoke with her daughter about some of the people I've found as well (my great aunt who is the oldest member of the family now on this side) and she at first said she didn't remember them, but when I told her their names she remembered how one gave her her first alcoholic drink and got her drunk for the first time lol. Also an uncle who used to get talked about in the family because he was so cheap that he re-used coffee grounds until they turned white lol.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:29 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
My mother's p-grandfather fought on the union side during the Civil War. He was the oldest member of the Roundheads, Company B. He returned from the war to raise a family and a successful construction business.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My great-grandfather's first wife died young, leaving her husband with three teenage daughters. He then married an 18-year-old. This was in The Netherlands. He then arranged for them to emigrate to the U.S. and booked passage on a ship, but he assaulted a coworker and went to jail for six months. His three daughters and their stepmother came over without him, and he caught up later.

He and the second wife had ten more children, one of whom was my maternal grandfather.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Never met my great grandparents. The closest is the only funeral I've ever attended, my great grandmothers (my mom was going so I went with her). I met some cousins, great aunts/uncles, etc I never knew. My Grandfather only had one sibling who had one child so I've only really ever known 1st cousins (on either family lines).

My paternal grandfather died when I was 13 and my maternal grandfather died when I was 11. I only remember meeting either once and when I was quite young.

I was fortunate to have met my paternal grandmother when I was a bit older and would go and visit with my dad. She was a very warm, fun, and pleasant woman (though not always to some of her children, but always to me). Didn't know her well though and only met her a few times.

My maternal grandmother is my only grandparent still living. I know her the best, I spent a summer in my mom's small home town at my grandmothers and an aunts (had a cousin about the same age as me, we were close that year). I love and have a lot of respect for her though I wouldn't particularly say she was warm or they we engaged a whole lot.

Unfortunately I've had very few stories told directly to me, though since looking into genealogy I've gathered some form close relatives and some from more distant ones. I'll follow TracySam's format since I like that:

Story: My paternal Grandfather, John Glynn Langley was about 3 years old when his father died (John Anderson Langley) in Arkansas. He didn't like his step father so as a teen he would hop trains and go visit cousins and to get away. Basically it seems he was a hobo.

Reality: His dad did die when he was that young. Fortunately there is a wonderful picture that survives of my great grandfather holding my grandfather as a baby. Probably the only picture of them together in existence, I've attached it for anyone who likes old pictures.

I don't know if it's true that he snuck away and hopped trains or not. It seems to fit the little I know, he seemed to be quite independent. I'm still hoping to find some cousin or someone who knows more about him.

Story: My grandfather John Glynn Langley enlisted during WWII and served in the US as a cook at a base (the story fluctuated some whether he served in another Nation or here). There was a blackout and he was hit by a car. His leg was injured for the rest of his life. He was discharged due to injury.

Reality: It's been a while but before my Grandmother died (my grandfather unfortunately died in the 90s and he didn't share much) she confirmed this story. I believe he was stationed here in the States and the story started to evolve into him being stationed in France or something.

Story: My grandfather John Glynn Langley married my grandmother, Laura Lee Baker, after only knowing each other for a month or so and abruptly moved from Kansas to California.

Reality: I really need to dig up some of my records where I stored an interview with my grandma before she died, but I think she said they actually married after only 6 days... and they did indeed abruptly move to California (Escondido area around San Diego). Pretty crazy lol. My grandparents seemed like quite adventurous and interesting people.

I was fortunate to somewhat know my grandmother, who was a wonderful person. I really wish I had a chance to talk to my grandfather, I bet he would've had some great stories. Unfortunately he didn't share much with my dad (or anyone it seems).

These are a portion of the stories I was finally told when I was at least a teenager or older... after my Grandfather had passed, some of these I only heard fully after both grandparents passed.
Attached Thumbnails
Memories and Stories  of Great-grandparents and Ancestors-john-anderson-langley-john-g-langley  

Old 06-04-2016, 02:11 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
My m-grandfather liked to "joke" that his grandfather was run out of Germany for horse thieving. How close he was!

In doing research, I found his grandfather was a marksman and skilled hunter in Germany around early 1700';s. This was a time of great lack in the economy, with many poor. His G-G Grandfather was known for hunting for meat to trade with those less fortunate. The king tended to look the other way much of the time, guess he figured it was better than the alternatives.

Then, one fine day, my skilled ancestor shot the king's dog! Not good! He was captured, and given 24 hours to get out of Germany, or be hanged. Well, he high-tailed it out of there, along with his family, and made way to America, just in time to join the Revolution! He and his family were not only skilled marksmen, but also gunmakers. They arrived in time to make guns for the Revolution. His name was Schrengrast (sp) and my grandmother's grandmother gave birth to my mother's grandfather-----genealogy gets complicated when you don't have the charts in front of you Anyways, I come from a long line of gun makers

Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I heard where my great grandfather and family were run off their farm during the civil war and none fought for either side. It turns out to be true. They lived in I think Scotland county. When the orders were given to empty violent counties came, (Missouri was engaged in its own guerilla style civil war at the time), theirs was the first. They could take a wagon, one other set of clothes, blankets and bedding, no furnature, no stock, and the food they could carry. The farms were burned, the property destroyed, animals taken and crops burned so there was nothing to come back to. This order simply worsened the situation by increasing the number of refugees and the general level of desperation..

They took to the road and went to Minnesota, where they stayed the rest of the year. Other in their family served in the civil war, likely from both sides, but none from that family.

The Removal orders were intended to reduce the level of personal civil war within Missouri, but only succeeded in giving everyone even better motivation to keep fighting each other.

My family is said to have known the James brothers and others of the legendary outlaws. Given they lived where they were active, its highly likely they did. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they offered a stable and some hay for a stopover too, since to the local people the James brothers were heroes.

I come from a family of stubborn, sometimes immoveable people. It shows. Mom knew but other people mostly don't figure out that pushing a little might get you somewhere. Pushing a lot and I just locked the door and you can't come in.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My m-grandfather liked to "joke" that his grandfather was run out of Germany for horse thieving. How close he was!

In doing research, I found his grandfather was a marksman and skilled hunter in Germany around early 1700';s. This was a time of great lack in the economy, with many poor. His G-G Grandfather was known for hunting for meat to trade with those less fortunate. The king tended to look the other way much of the time, guess he figured it was better than the alternatives.

Then, one fine day, my skilled ancestor shot the king's dog! Not good! He was captured, and given 24 hours to get out of Germany, or be hanged. Well, he high-tailed it out of there, along with his family, and made way to America, just in time to join the Revolution! He and his family were not only skilled marksmen, but also gunmakers. They arrived in time to make guns for the Revolution. His name was Schrengrast (sp) and my grandmother's grandmother gave birth to my mother's grandfather-----genealogy gets complicated when you don't have the charts in front of you Anyways, I come from a long line of gun makers
I'm thinking your grandfather must have been an esteemed man or he would have been killed on the spot. That's a great history.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:23 AM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
I am Taiwanese-American (born in the US, but parents were born in Taiwan-so a second generation American). The furthest I have been actually trace back is 8 generations back. My father's side of the family has been in Taiwan for 8 generations. The first person from my father's side of the family moved to Taiwan from Longxi County (now Longwen District), Zhangzhou prefecture, Fujian Province, China to Taiwan (would be my great 5 x grandfather). Thus, my estimate would say that was 200-225 years ago. This is per an "ancestry tablet" our family has and also we have a painting of my ancestry from my father's side of the family to move to Taiwan. He was a Qing Dynasty imperial military scholar. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty He had the military version of the "juren" 舉人 degree or called a "wujuren" 武舉人 See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...n#Degree_types and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...y_examinations I guess in the sense that own of my ancestor was a "wujuren" 武舉人would make him prominent.

Here is another story or profile...
I know this is not about a great grandparent, but I heard this about my granduncle (my paternal grandfather's younger brother)- during World War II he was in the Japanese Imperial Military (Taiwan was controlled by Japan from 1895 to 1945) and his plane was shot down by the U.S. He was out at sea for a few days before being rescheduled. He was stationed by the Japanese Imperial Military in what is now Singapore. My theory on why the Japanese stationed him in Singapore was that in Singapore there is a sizable amount of people with Chinese ancestry who trace their ancestry to Fujian Province, China and speak a dialect language called "Minnan" or "Hokkien" which many Taiwnese also speak because they have ancestry from Fujian Province, China. While my granduncle spoke both Hokkien and Japanese. As I stated earlier, I am Taiwanese-American (born and grew up in the US).

Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I've been reading these stories. They're interesting and I hope there will be more. Here's mine:

I only knew one gt grandparent and that was only briefly. It must have been her 90th birthday because she was dressed up and my mother's entire family were gathered in a big hall with crepe paper streamers. I was 4 yrs old. All of a sudden this spry lady came running over, exclaiming, "This must be little XXX!" (me)

What I know about her is that she and her husband had a farm, he died rather young. She was an expert cook and got a job at a local college as a cook so that she could support herself. In 1929 her son in law died, leaving her daughter (my maternal grandmother) with several kids still at home. My mom was one of the younger kids, being 7 years old when her father died.

It was the year of the Great Depression and what bad timing for the dad to pass away just days before the stock market crashed. He had a good job as a supervisor for the RR and they probably would have been fine if he had lived.

My mother, even in poverty, studied hard in school and took Latin and other college subjects because she had her heart set on attending the prestigious local girls' college. When the time came, there was no money, of course. However my gt grandmother generously paid for my mother to attend a secretarial school. Although that was a disappointment, it was better than nothing.

My mother did get a good job using those skills and at the end of her life she told me that those skills had served her well after all. Not only did the skills get her a good job as a legal secretary (and since she was so good at shorthand, she was chosen to secretly record a trial of some notorious local mobster, "Bugsy" somebody. They hid her behind a curtain and she had to stay perfectly quiet)--but those skills (typing, shorthand, writing business letters, being a stickler for good spelling and grammar) also helped her in practical ways in her day to day life. My gt grandmother had done a very kind thing in funding my mother's education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy