Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:12 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Of course they match. That's essentially the time span the DNA companies use to build their approach. Consider though, that Britain and Ireland had waves of immigration, from France and Scandinavia, among others, over the years. Is this accounted for? Of course not....

It is ironic too, at least to me, that you take satisfaction in DNA confirmation of what you already know!
Why is that ironic? What's wrong with taking satisfaction in confirming that the paper trail you've worked so hard on is the right path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,461,239 times
It is ironic because the information you already knew is much more robust than the DNA data, which could be a complete artifice. For example, what if the report said your ancestors were germanic? Or from more southern Europe? That's where anglo-saxons came from if you go back far enough. Evidently the DNA company did not.

So DNA that tells you that your British ancestors were from Britain, just looking back a few generations, is useful?

The other irony is that paper trails like yours are what allow DNA companies to identify markers that they say are British.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:44 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
It is ironic because the information you already knew is much more robust than the DNA data, which could be a complete artifice. For example, what if the report said your ancestors were germanic? Or from more southern Europe? That's where anglo-saxons came from if you go back far enough. Evidently the DNA company did not.

So DNA that tells you that your British ancestors were from Britain, just looking back a few generations, is useful?
I have a lot of colonial branches so we're talking about more than just a few generations. Seeing that collectively, I have results in Great Britain, Scandinavia, West Europe, and Southern Europe/Italy-Greece is useful in confirming that it all lines up with my British, Norwegian, Swiss/German, and Italian ancestry, yes. What's really interesting is that I have no results in Ancestry.com's category for Ireland, which is consistent with the fact that all my "Irish" ancestors were actually Scot-Irish. It not always so conclusive since Ireland and Great Britain share so much DNA but for me, it was. On the other hand, my Great Britain, Scandinavian, and West Europe groups had radically different amounts across the three DNA companies, meaning they're all too similar to tell apart. That in itself is interesting, because it suggests my British ancestry is very Anglo-Saxon and Viking, not so much Celtic.

For my grandfather though, it's been sort of the opposite - he had some oddities in his ethnicity report (and in his DNA matches) that has lead me to dig deeper and have him take the Y-DNA test - I suspect my grandfather's father was not his biological father. The ethnicity report isn't conclusive on it's own, but when he has 10% Caucasus and no known ancestry in that region OR any neighboring regions (on paper, he is entirely German and Scots-Irish), and you combine that with no identifiable matches on his known father's side, and an old family rumor that his father was not his biological father, it is evidence that paying the much higher price for the Y-DNA test is worth it to get more conclusive answers.

I've never claimed the ethnicity reports should be taken literally, but they can be interesting and helpful.

Quote:
The other irony is that paper trails like yours are what allow DNA companies to identify markers that they say are British.
I don't think they use white Americans for the sample groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy