U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 PM

577 posts, read 342,994 times

Advertisements

I just got my DNA results from DNA.LAND, and are almost similar to the results I got from FTDNA and Ancestry :
West Euroasian: 62%
Native American: 30%
African: 8%

West Euroasian is European by the way, and they divided it in Southwest Europe and Northern Europe.
As per their results I am mostly Italian, from Tuscan. And I think they are almost right, my great grandparents are from San Remo, Italy.
If you already got your raw data from FTDNA or Ancestry is worth to try this new site. Is free and it belongs to Columbia University.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
West Euroasian is more than just Europe, I got 100% West Euroasian but my breakdown of that includes Arab/Egyptian.

This is their description of it: West Eurasian is a very general category containing Arab/Egyptian, Ashkenazi/Levantine, Central Asian, Northeast European, South Asian, South European, Northwest European, Southwestern European and Central Indoeuropean

My breakdown:

Northwest European 57%
South European 29% (South/Central European 25% Ambiguous 3.7%)
Ambiguous 4.9%
Arab/Egyptian 4.9%
Sardinian 4.8%

The Northwest European combined Ambiguous 4.9% is consistent with what all other companies say, but the Arab/Egyptian and Sardinian is not correct. It's probably coming from my Italian heritage though. As with all other companies, it's easy to tell my Northern European ancestry apart from my Southern European ancestry, but trying to break it down further than that just winds up with wildly varying results.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
West Euroasian is more than just Europe, I got 100% West Euroasian but my breakdown of that includes Arab/Egyptian.

This is their description of it: West Eurasian is a very general category containing Arab/Egyptian, Ashkenazi/Levantine, Central Asian, Northeast European, South Asian, South European, Northwest European, Southwestern European and Central Indoeuropean

My breakdown:

Northwest European 57%
South European 29% (South/Central European 25% Ambiguous 3.7%)
Ambiguous 4.9%
Arab/Egyptian 4.9%
Sardinian 4.8%

The Northwest European combined Ambiguous 4.9% is consistent with what all other companies say, but the Arab/Egyptian and Sardinian is not correct. It's probably coming from my Italian heritage though. As with all other companies, it's easy to tell my Northern European ancestry apart from my Southern European ancestry, but trying to break it down further than that just winds up with wildly varying results.
PA2UK, your results are interesting !

Here is my breakdown:
South/Central European: 34%
South Western European: 25%
Ambiguous: 2.1%
Northwest European: 1.5%

The South/Central European is composed by: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy. Which is accurate because my great grandparents are Italians.
What I don't understand it the Ambiguous thing, maybe is Turkish or Middle Eastern, which sometimes appear in GedMatch and FTDNA, and that has to be from my Southern European ancestry.
So I am more Mediterranean than you and you are more Scandinavian than me....!
;-)

Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM

450 posts, read 1,019,794 times
Here are my DNA.Land results from uploading my 23andMe raw data:

100% East Asian
within East Asian it had me at 85% Central Chinese and 15% Southeast Asian
within Southeast Asian it broke it down to 13% Southeast Asian and 1.7% Taiwanese.

I am Taiwanese-American with ancestry from 8-9 generation ago from Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China (Southeastern China coast). The "Central Chinese" is a very broad category including Northern Han Chinese, Southern Han Chinese, ethnicitic minorities such as the Miao and She People. The Southern Han are said to be a descendant of mix of Northern Han who migrated to Southern China and mixed with the aboriginal people living there who were the She People and Miao People. Per DNA.Land- Southeast Asian includes Daic people of southern China (which the Northern Han also mixed with when they moved South).

Then there is the 1.7% Taiwanese which refers to the Taiwanese aborigines (the people living in Taiwan before the Han Chinese moved into Taiwan). NOTE: the Taiwanese aborigines has quite a few tribes- but broadly broken into 2 categories- those from the eastern part of Taiwan and mountains (who did not assimilate or intermarry as much with the Han) and the Western Plains Taiwanese aborigines known as the "Pingpu" who have largely assimilated or intermarried with the Han. Interestingly enough, there is one study showing that the Pingpu moved into Taiwan from southern China during the Neolithic Age when Southern China was not part of the Han culture and share common ancestry with the Daic people. I do believe I have some Pingpu mixed in. See: https://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/pu...NMNS_D40_1.pdf

As a person of Taiwanese background, I think WeGene gives more detailed results and breakdown my ancestry component more clearly. WeGene is also free and you can upload data from 23andMe or Ancestry DNA. But, I think it is more detailed for people of East Asian background than for people of European background- which is reverse from 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, FT DNA which tends to have more detailed results for people of European background. See: https://www.wegene.com/en/

Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Here are my DNA.Land results from uploading my 23andMe raw data:

100% East Asian
within East Asian it had me at 85% Central Chinese and 15% Southeast Asian
within Southeast Asian it broke it down to 13% Southeast Asian and 1.7% Taiwanese.

I am Taiwanese-American with ancestry from 8-9 generation ago from Zhangzhou, Fujian Province, China (Southeastern China coast). The "Central Chinese" is a very broad category including Northern Han Chinese, Southern Han Chinese, ethnicitic minorities such as the Miao and She People. The Southern Han are said to be a descendant of mix of Northern Han who migrated to Southern China and mixed with the aboriginal people living there who were the She People and Miao People. Per DNA.Land- Southeast Asian includes Daic people of southern China (which the Northern Han also mixed with when they moved South).

Then there is the 1.7% Taiwanese which refers to the Taiwanese aborigines (the people living in Taiwan before the Han Chinese moved into Taiwan). NOTE: the Taiwanese aborigines has quite a few tribes- but broadly broken into 2 categories- those from the eastern part of Taiwan and mountains (who did not assimilate or intermarry as much with the Han) and the Western Plains Taiwanese aborigines known as the "Pingpu" who have largely assimilated or intermarried with the Han. Interestingly enough, there is one study showing that the Pingpu moved into Taiwan from southern China during the Neolithic Age when Southern China was not part of the Han culture and share common ancestry with the Daic people. I do believe I have some Pingpu mixed in. See: https://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/pu...NMNS_D40_1.pdf

As a person of Taiwanese background, I think WeGene gives more detailed results and breakdown my ancestry component more clearly. WeGene is also free and you can upload data from 23andMe or Ancestry DNA. But, I think it is more detailed for people of East Asian background than for people of European background- which is reverse from 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, FT DNA which tends to have more detailed results for people of European background. See: https://www.wegene.com/en/
wow...interesting too!!
At GedMatch I found I have some Siberian DNA too..!! in other sites such as FTDNA shows a small amount of North East Asian, near the Korean Peninsula, something like 2%
Since I have Native American DNA, my only guess is that Native Americans are related to Siberians or North East Asians.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
Uploaded my 23andMe results to them and it changed quite a bit. 23andMe show my breakdown as 96.9% European, 1.9% Asian/Native American and 1% West African. DNA.LAND looked at their testing and dropped both the Asian/Native American and West African. I'm 98% West Eurasian and 1.6% "Ambiguous" with that portion showing on a heatmap of Northern Europe. This more close resembles the test I took with National Geographic's Geno 2.0 project (which also showed no Asian/Native American or African).

I sometimes think 23andMe uses too low of a confidence level on the small percentages of supposed "hidden" ancestry.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:17 AM

858 posts, read 747,628 times
My Father

dna.land

-West Eurasian 100%
--Northwest European 77%

--Southwestern European 11%
---Southwestern European 8.3%
---Sardinian 3%

--South European 5.3%
---Balkan 3.8%
---South/Central European 1.6%

--Central Asian 3.9%
---Indus Valley 2.4%
---Kalash 1.5%

--North Slavic 2.7%

AncestryDNA

-Europe 97%
--Europe West 33%
--Scandinavia 21%
--Great Britain 16%
--Ireland 12%
--Iberian 7%
--Italy/Greece 7%
--Finland/Northwest Russia 1%

-Africa <1%
--Africa North <1%

-Asia <1%
--Asia South <1%

-West Asia 1%
--Caucasus 1%
--Middle East 1%

My Grandmother (mother's mother)

dna.land

-West Eurasian 100%
--Northwest European 76%

--Southwestern European 11%

--Northeast European 11%
---Finnish 9.1%
---Ambiguous Northeast European 1.5%

--Ambiguous West Eurasian 2.1%

AncestryDNA

-Europe 100%
--Ireland 33%
--Europe West 28%
--Scandinavia 25%
--Iberian 10%
--Great Britain 4%

23andme

-European 99.5%
--Northwestern European 96.5%
---British & Irish 57.7%
---French & German 16.4%
---Scandinavian 1.4%
---Broadly Northwestern European 20.9%

--Southern European 1.3%
---Iberian 1.3%
---Broadly Southern European < 0.1%

--Broadly European 1.7%

-East Asian & Native American 0.4%
--East Asian 0.3%
---Mongolian 0.2%
---Broadly East Asian 0.1%
--Broadly East Asian & Native American < 0.1%

-Sub-Saharan African < 0.1%
--West African < 0.1%

-Unassigned < 0.1%

My Mother

dna.land

-West Eurasian 100%
--Northwest European 93%

--Mediterranean Islander 7.4%

AncestryDNA

-Europe 99%
--Great Britain 40%
--Europe West 28%
--Ireland 20%
--Scandinavia 6%
--Iberian Peninsula 4%
--Italy/Greece < 1%

-Africa < 1%
--Ivory Coast/Ghana < 1%

23andme

-European 99.4%
--Northwestern European 97.7%
---British & Irish 56.6%
---French & German 14.0%
---Scandinavian 5.4%
---Broadly Northwestern European 21.8%
--Eastern European 0.5%
--Southern European 0.1%
---Iberian 0.1%
--Broadly European 1.1%

-Sub-Saharan African 0.5%
--West African 0.5%

-Middle Eastern & North African < 0.1%
--North African < 0.1%
--Broadly Middle Eastern & North African < 0.1%

-Unassigned < 0.1%

Old 08-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Uploaded my 23andMe results to them and it changed quite a bit. 23andMe show my breakdown as 96.9% European, 1.9% Asian/Native American and 1% West African. DNA.LAND looked at their testing and dropped both the Asian/Native American and West African. I'm 98% West Eurasian and 1.6% "Ambiguous" with that portion showing on a heatmap of Northern Europe. This more close resembles the test I took with National Geographic's Geno 2.0 project (which also showed no Asian/Native American or African).

I sometimes think 23andMe uses too low of a confidence level on the small percentages of supposed "hidden" ancestry.
I agree. DNA.LAND is more accurate. I am mostly Italian as per DNA.LAND and that is correct, my great grandparents are from the Italian/French border.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 AM

332 posts, read 168,602 times
I have just discovered DNA Land & I have done my report for 23&me. I was surprised that it only took me overnight to get my results, but of course that all depends on their database, and they are still new & growing, so everyone go support them.

My results:

76% Northwest European
8.2% Southwestern European
6.3% North Slavic
6.2% Balkan
1.7% Ambiguous...(western eurasian)
1.3% Kalash

I will also include the geographical explanations of these places, it was very exciting to learn about!

NWE: Includes: Scottish Argyll_Bute_GBR and British in England; Icelandic in Iceland; Norwegian in Norway and Orcadian in Orkney Islands

SWE: Includes: Basque/French and French in (South and 1 other site) France and Basque/Spanish and Iberian Population in Spain.

NS: Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine.

B: Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece

A: West Eurasian is a very general category containing Arab/Egyptian, Ashkenazi/Levantine, Central Asian, Northeast European, South Asian, South European, Northwest European, Southwestern European and Central Indoeuropean. * this has my most interest

K: Includes: Kalash in Pakistan.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
I have just discovered DNA Land & I have done my report for 23&me. I was surprised that it only took me overnight to get my results, but of course that all depends on their database, and they are still new & growing, so everyone go support them.

My results:

76% Northwest European
8.2% Southwestern European
6.3% North Slavic
6.2% Balkan
1.7% Ambiguous...(western eurasian)
1.3% Kalash

I will also include the geographical explanations of these places, it was very exciting to learn about!

NWE: Includes: Scottish Argyll_Bute_GBR and British in England; Icelandic in Iceland; Norwegian in Norway and Orcadian in Orkney Islands

SWE: Includes: Basque/French and French in (South and 1 other site) France and Basque/Spanish and Iberian Population in Spain.

NS: Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine.

B: Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece

A: West Eurasian is a very general category containing Arab/Egyptian, Ashkenazi/Levantine, Central Asian, Northeast European, South Asian, South European, Northwest European, Southwestern European and Central Indoeuropean. * this has my most interest

K: Includes: Kalash in Pakistan.
wow....interesting !!!
I wonder what that "ambiguous" thing means, I got a 2.1% ambiguous too (see above). I believe has something to do with Middle Eastern or West Asian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or