U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times

Advertisements

I've had a line of my family that had been difficult to research. I recently found someone with lots of info. He told me my grandparents were niece and nephew. That's pretty shocking, but we have evidence to support that as the niece's dad is listed as brother in law as relation to head of house in the census records. BUT we've always known my great grandfather and grandmother were related as 'cousins'. I've been doing the math and great grandfather's mother was around 47 years old. There appears to be an age gap between the baby aka my great grandfather and the next sibling. ( I don't have all facts.) I'm starting to think that possibly mother was actually 'grandma' and one of the 'sisters' was 'mom'. It would fit the story we already knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've had a line of my family that had been difficult to research. I recently found someone with lots of info. He told me my grandparents were niece and nephew. That's pretty shocking, but we have evidence to support that as the niece's dad is listed as brother in law as relation to head of house in the census records.
Be careful, census records can be wrong. I've come across many cases were relationships were recorded incorrectly. If it's consistent across multiple censuses, than it's probably correct, but if it's just one census record, it would be better to confirm it with more records before coming to that conclusion.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Be careful, census records can be wrong. I've come across many cases were relationships were recorded incorrectly. If it's consistent across multiple censuses, than it's probably correct, but if it's just one census record, it would be better to confirm it with more records before coming to that conclusion.
I have more records and info on my own that my grandmother had given several years ago. Then the gentleman told me the story about my great grandparents having to leave town. He also has some records he provided. That census is what spelled it out for me.

I still think it is possible that they were first cousins because the mother was 47. We'll probably never know for sure unless we find some obscure record.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 260 times
Cool First Post

A just discovered Cousin of mine in Sweden showed me a Church
birth record for my Grandfather indicating he was illegitimate.

My First knowledge of that.

My first fifteen years were within short walking distance
of his place and I just knew him as one Great Gentleman
and only ever discussed current subjects.

So I just 'Googled':
Quote:
"issues for a bastard child in 19th century Sweden and America"
And your site topped the list.

This old Thread answered So Many Questions for me.

So I Registered to thank you and all of the posters.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 01-21-2018 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 AM

30,330 posts, read 31,201,438 times
My maternal great-grandfather was illegitimate. His mother (my great-great grandmother) was pregnant with him when she got married and her husband knew it and agreed to raise the child as his own. More recently I found out from another relative (someone who had married into the family) that my great-grandfather's biological father was probably fathered by another relative in the extended family. So it sounds like someone in the family simply stepped up to the plate to give my great-grandfather legitimacy as he was biologically related. In any case, my great-grandfather married his first cousin and therefore my bloodline actually runs for sure through my great-grandmother's side in the family rather than my great-grandfather's.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 AM

5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
My Grandpa had a half brother 10 years older than he was. Great-Grandpa would have been a teenager when he was born. I traced Fred back in the 1871 British Census to a Home for Boys in Norwich. Fred apparently reunited with his Dad, Wife, and Half Sister and they all came to America on the same ship. Grandpa was close to Fred and my Dad to Fred's sons. Never found out who Fred's Birth Mother was.

I recently joined Ancestry and found a woman living in New Zealand who had my same tree, including my name in it. That peaked my interest. Wrote to her asking how we were related. She said she was originally from England and that her Grandma was the illegitimate daughter of Great-Grandpa. Guess he got around as a young man!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,814,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Cousin of mine in Sweden showed me a Church
I would imagine that the issues in Sweden were very similar to those in Norway.

If you can, really do get a hold of and read the book "Sexual Customs in Rural Norway." It's FASCINATING (not prurient at all - a social science study done in 1857. Yes, 1857!)

Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
My great grandmother was married twice. At least, this is what my grandmother said, and her family. It was a notably short family, including my great grandmother. What I've always heard was that my great grandfather was the Englishman that the family claimed, and he was over six foot tall. She was barely five. He died either before the child was born or shortly after. His name was Martin Smith. Mom remembered a letter from HIS family to grandma but its whereabouts ended up unknown. I'm going to do the dna match on Ancestry, and wonder if his family will show up. They lived in the Liverpool area and worked on shipping.

She married when my grandmother was an infant, but a local Smith named Joseph. He and her both were short, as was the rest of the family. Grandma said when she was ten she was getting things off shelves for her mother because she could reach.

Mom remembered visiting as a kid and being taller than all of them, and the kids, and I knew the other California family well, and even I was taller as a kid. The family in California said they were cousins. Someone had the letter from Martin's sister. The family in Missouri doesn't seem to mention Martin at all.

Especially as there doesn't seem to be anything odd or questionable about it. It is beyond me why Martin was not mentioned by the Iowa side. Recently, looking at my email, was a new hint from Ancestry. It was from a census. It's my grandmother and her cousin and their family living in a rooming house, and they ARE listed with different fathers, my great grandfather English.

I still wonder why the stuff from deeper family ignores Martin.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-22-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,510,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
A just discovered Cousin of mine in Sweden showed me a Church

My First knowledge of that.

My first fifteen years were within short walking distance
of his place and I just knew him as one Great Gentleman
and only ever discussed current subjects.

So I just 'Googled':

And your site topped the list.

This old Thread answered So Many Questions for me.

So I Registered to thank you and all of the posters.
Art
Welcome to the forum, I hope you will make other useful discoveries here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy