Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:18 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to research old newspapers? I'm looking for specific events in different states. Several years ago, I used to go down to the local library and look through the microfilms for the local paper. Now I don't know where to go.

I was googling some specific terms and came across this for a specific event. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/68274139/

Has anyone used this newspaper site? With good results? I'm not familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
The best newspaper resources are probably Newspapers.com, genealogybank.com, and newspaperarchive.com - they all require a subscription.

There's also some free newspaper archives available from the Library of Congress at Chronicling America « Library of Congress - however, they only go up to 1922. There are also archived newspapers from Google, but they are not indexed so there's no search function, you have to browse them manually: https://news.google.com/newspapers?hl=en

Another free option is Fulton History, but their site is not very user friendly, I would not recommend it for someone who is not good with computers: The_post_card

Unfortunately, there is no central location that has all papers from all dates. You will need to look at what locations/papers/time periods each site provides and make a decision based on what you're looking for specifically.

You can see what papers each site provides with these links:
https://www.newspapers.com/papers/
List of over 7,000 United States Newspapers By State - GenealogyBank
U.S. Newspaper Archives (1753 - 2016) (scroll down)

You might also find a site that provides papers more specific to local places not available elsewhere, you can check out this list to browse options by location: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...paper_archives - for example, I've made use of the Ambler Gazette (Pennsylvania) available at Power Library (and it is not available on any of the other sites I mentioned).

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
I have subscriptions to both Newspapers.com and GenealogyBank and love both of them. Neither carries everything though.

I generally start with Google--"city, state newspaper archives" to see what pops up. Colorado has a wonderful free newspaper archive site, many local libraries have their area newspaper online for free.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:27 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
What is the best way to research old newspapers? I'm looking for specific events in different states. Several years ago, I used to go down to the local library and look through the microfilms for the local paper. Now I don't know where to go.

I was googling some specific terms and came across this for a specific event. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/68274139/

Has anyone used this newspaper site? With good results? I'm not familiar with it.
I subscribe to that and love it. I've found old obituaries, details of violent deaths. Got lots of names off of those articles.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Well I stared looking more and found a free source where I didn't have to sign up. It's missing some dates, but omg... the stories. Lots of shootings and someone was handed a baby in a basket.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Another free option is Fulton History, but their site is not very user friendly, I would not recommend it for someone who is not good with computers: The_post_card
I love this site because I do a lot of New York searches on it and have turned up some useful and sometimes surprising facts about my ancestors and relatives! But it can be frustrating to use and pages can take a while to download.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:

I've had newpapers.com for a few years now. I have fun with it and have found some great stories on family, historical events and information on family data that I hadn't seen before. I also have Genealogy Bank now for a while/not sure what I think of it as yet.

Newspapers.com was better when I first got it. There were updates that came regularly of new papers. Now, virtually every new thing they put on is the "Premium Subscription" and I don't think there are enough papers, years etc to make it worth paying that much extra as a premium when the subscription started with papers regularly were added as part of the subscription one originally got. But that's my opinion/I'm sure others will disagree.

On searches, I run variations of names. My grandfather's name was "Bien". I got hits with that but when I put in "BLEN", I got many more results. Same with "BEIN" and "BEAN" as it is pronounced as such. I also found the newspapers gave some real interesting information on events taking place that would have impacted family even if they are not mentioned. (1918 Flu Pandemic; etc) .

If you subscribe to Ancestry, Newspapers.com runs a special for half price for a year. Genealogy Bank does lots of specials but again so far I think Newspapers .com is better - better search mechanism. More material for me than what I have found on the "Bank".

For free , you have Chronicling America that has good info/that is on line. Also Google searches sometimes pull up newspapers.

If you want something checked on one of the sites, send me the name and I'll see what comes up.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:26 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:

Well, I looked up your newspaper there and it says it is the most circulated, most quoted, most read paper in Kentucky............and with good reason - one guy was hauled off to the local insane asylum for drinking things because he couldn't get alcohol; prominent family at that. Mary someone died of TB - like many other members of the family. A resident was run over by a train (happens in every town regularly - usually with gory details) . Many more events - one person painting their house/another having their house burn down; never a dull moment.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Well I stared looking more and found a free source where I didn't have to sign up. It's missing some dates, but omg... the stories. Lots of shootings and someone was handed a baby in a basket.
Maybe you could share this free source with us so others looking for the same paper can access it too?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
I have found some great stuff on the free Library of Congress site. Murder trial for the person who killed my great grandfather in an employee gone postal sitch. First husband of my 2nd great grand mother killed by bushwackers during Civil War as told by the local police chief who was accompanying him home on leave and survived. Story of my 2nd great uncle's wife having an affair while he was away during Civil War and then coming home to have his father in law murder him.

Lots of other mundane stuff like death notices and land sales.

Cant vouch for the pay sites as I haven't gone there yet.

I will say you can spend a lot of time on old newspapers, and as a previous poster said they are very enlightening regarding the time and place your ancestors lived. Part of the reason I haven't opted for pay sites yet as I can see them being very time consuming.

They are quite fascinating though. All the same stuff happened back then as happens today. Men killing their whole families or just their wives. Gruesome accidents. Just today I saw an old article where someone got pulled into a cotton gin by their clothing. The description was "his remains looked like a pile of sausage".

Yikes! I guess with no tv or radio, the newspapers were the entertainment of the day.

One tip I would give is that at least with southern newspapers, I get better hits with initials than with names. So for example, if you are looking for John James Doe and wife Mary, you get better hits if you search for J. J. Doe or Mrs. J. J. Doe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy