U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 4,728,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I took both the 23andMe and the Ancestry DNA tests and the results were different.

Ancestry has my Irish and Great Britain as 70%. 23andMe has "British and Irish" at 55%.

Ancestry has my Scandinavian at 11% and 23andMe has my Scandinavian at 5%.

Ancestry has Italian and Greece at about 12%, but 23andMe does not show any Italian and/or Greece in my results.

23andMe shows a small percent for French and German. Ancestry does not show any French or German.

23andMe shows a large portion as NW European. Ancestry does not show any NW European. Ancestry does show about 10% as Western Europe.

There are other differences as well, but these are the most significant.
How do these differences in results from the two companies relate to what you know about your ancestry by traditional means?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 PM

11,757 posts, read 6,383,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It's become mostly a battle of egos over technical details between yourself, Steve McDonald, and PA2UK. For me, the thread went off the rails when you wrote:

Think about it.
Perhaps you need to think about it.

Do you have anything of value to contribute to the topic other than judgement?

I have contributed a lot to the topic so I really don't need your non contributing judgments.

People should know what they are wasting their money on when using the direct-to-consumer DNA companies.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM

11,757 posts, read 6,383,963 times
Here is a good read from a person who has used 4 different direct-to-consumer DNA testing companies.

MY DNA RESULTS FROM 4 COMPANIES

Here is a comparison between 23andme and Family Tree DNA.

Haplogroup Comparisons Between Family Tree DNA and 23andMe

And last but not least:

How accurate is 23andMe?

Multiple testing an issue for 23andme

Old 10-12-2016, 04:46 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,616,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk
I took both the 23andMe and the Ancestry DNA tests and the results were different.

Ancestry has my Irish and Great Britain as 70%. 23andMe has "British and Irish" at 55%.

Ancestry has Italian and Greece at about 12%, but 23andMe does not show any Italian and/or Greece in my results.

23andMe shows a small percent for French and German. Ancestry does not show any French or German.

23andMe shows a large portion as NW European. Ancestry does not show any NW European. Ancestry does show about 10% as Western Europe.

How do these differences in results from the two companies relate to what you know about your ancestry by traditional means?

I had a gg grandfather who was very French and another who was from Germany. I have no known Italian or Greece in my family line. I have some Swiss in my background and knew about the Irish and English.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:07 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,115,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk

I had a gg grandfather who was very French and another who was from Germany. I have no known Italian or Greece in my family line. I have some Swiss in my background and knew about the Irish and English.
I don't know how Ancestry comes up with their numbers (I haven't used them) but 23andMe gives three estimates of ancestry. Unfortunately, most people only read the "speculative" estimate which is beyond ridiculous. IMO, you might as well toss a coin. Science is not yet at the point where ancestry, particularly on a country level, can be determined with any degree of certainty.

My argument regarding the validity of the results is limited to 23andMe's ability to identify gene variants that are associated with specific medical disorders and its matching of relatives.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:01 AM

9,900 posts, read 16,141,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know how Ancestry comes up with their numbers (I haven't used them) but 23andMe gives three estimates of ancestry. Unfortunately, most people only read the "speculative" estimate which is beyond ridiculous. IMO, you might as well toss a coin. Science is not yet at the point where ancestry, particularly on a country level, can be determined with any degree of certainty.
Ancestry.com calculates ethnicity estimates by running 40 different analysis and then averaging the results out. The final percentage they give for a category is the average, and then they also provide a percentage range for each category, which tells you the lowest and highest percentage you had for that category among their 40 analysis. Much like at 23andMe, most people just look at the final percentage, not the percentage range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy