Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 PM

339 posts, read 664,186 times

Advertisements

Say for example my father is Italian and French.
My mother is Japanese and Lebanese.

Does that make each child a quarter of each? Or do we only inherit one from each parent?

I'm wondering if this could explain how in larger families, the kids can vary so greatly and not resemble each other, sometimes not resembling parents.

Does this boil down to inheriting specific features that could affect that?

I'm wondering if anyone has done some of those genetic tests and found that they aren't the ethnicity they thought they were?

Going back to my original example, if I thought I was 1/4 lebanese, 1/4 French, 1/4 Japanese, and 1/4 Italian but in reality I may only be half Japanese half French, OR half Japanese half Italian. OR half Lebanese half French OR half Lebanese half Italian...?

Does that make sense? If I remember back to school days where we learned about genetics I thought we could only inherit one from each parent. And I'm wondering if anyone can clarify does that boil down to inheriting the Genes of one ethnicity from each parent? Or are we automatically a mixture of whatever ethnicities our parents are?

Last edited by Bruins3445; 10-19-2016 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: ETA: this is not my ethnicity, it is hypothetical example. Hoping to learn more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
in theory yes but in reality no, they no way to tell how much you can receive, there been some study where grandparent had some native american and one grand kid had some and the other had zero. Even the parent would not be a perfect 50-50

Old 10-19-2016, 10:12 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
Unless you got testing to give you exact percentages, it is socially correct(and respectful to your ancestors) to refer to yourself as a quarter of each.
There is a very slim chance that you would be exactly 25% each, and there is a possibility you could be on 2 of the ethnicities.
More likely the mix would be a mash up: 45%, 15%, 8%, 32%, While a sibling could be 12%, 63%, 10%, 15% which would explain why the two of you look like different backgrounds.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:37 AM

339 posts, read 664,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
in theory yes but in reality no, they no way to tell how much you can receive, there been some study where grandparent had some native american and one grand kid had some and the other had zero. Even the parent would not be a perfect 50-50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Unless you got testing to give you exact percentages, it is socially correct(and respectful to your ancestors) to refer to yourself as a quarter of each.
There is a very slim chance that you would be exactly 25% each, and there is a possibility you could be on 2 of the ethnicities.
More likely the mix would be a mash up: 45%, 15%, 8%, 32%, While a sibling could be 12%, 63%, 10%, 15% which would explain why the two of you look like different backgrounds.
Interesting. Colleague and his family did 23andMe. One of his brothers is ashkenazi Jewish, none of the other siblings are. Though their mother is ashkenazi Jewish and the mother's mother was also Ashkenazi Jewish. I found I fascinating that only one of the siblings wound up Ashkenazi Jewish. That sibling is the only one who "looks Jewish" according to my buddy at work.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
You don't inherit equal amount of DNA from each grandparent like you do from each parent.

Here is an example of how much one of my kids inherits from each grandparent.

29%
21%
28%
22%

Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Say for example my father is Italian and French.
My mother is Japanese and Lebanese.

Does that make each child a quarter of each? Or do we only inherit one from each parent?

I'm wondering if this could explain how in larger families, the kids can vary so greatly and not resemble each other, sometimes not resembling parents.

Does this boil down to inheriting specific features that could affect that?

I'm wondering if anyone has done some of those genetic tests and found that they aren't the ethnicity they thought they were?

Going back to my original example, if I thought I was 1/4 lebanese, 1/4 French, 1/4 Japanese, and 1/4 Italian but in reality I may only be half Japanese half French, OR half Japanese half Italian. OR half Lebanese half French OR half Lebanese half Italian...?

Does that make sense? If I remember back to school days where we learned about genetics I thought we could only inherit one from each parent. And I'm wondering if anyone can clarify does that boil down to inheriting the Genes of one ethnicity from each parent? Or are we automatically a mixture of whatever ethnicities our parents are?
Everyone inherits 50% of their DNA from each of their parents (well, give or take a couple percentages - I actually share 52.7% with my mom, so only 47.3% from my dad). But we don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent. For example, I share only 20.3% with my paternal grandfather so I got about 27% from my paternal grandmother. However, it's extremely unlikely that you would inherit 0% from one grandparent and the full 50% from another. So while you might be 20% Lebanese, 30% French, 22% Japanese, and 28% Italian, you would not be only half of two of those.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:44 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Interesting. Colleague and his family did 23andMe. One of his brothers is ashkenazi Jewish, none of the other siblings are. Though their mother is ashkenazi Jewish and the mother's mother was also Ashkenazi Jewish. I found I fascinating that only one of the siblings wound up Ashkenazi Jewish. That sibling is the only one who "looks Jewish" according to my buddy at work.
I never thought of it this way! I had no idea. thanks for sharing that info.

I always assumed that these distinctions were cultural labels, not that DNA was actually divided.

I'm Swedish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Irish, German...not sure my DNA would be distinguishable.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:16 PM

529 posts, read 369,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You don't inherit equal amount of DNA from each grandparent like you do from each parent.

Here is an example of how much one of my kids inherits from each grandparent.

29%
21%
28%
22%
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Everyone inherits 50% of their DNA from each of their parents (well, give or take a couple percentages - I actually share 52.7% with my mom, so only 47.3% from my dad). But we don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent. For example, I share only 20.3% with my paternal grandfather so I got about 27% from my paternal grandmother. However, it's extremely unlikely that you would inherit 0% from one grandparent and the full 50% from another. So while you might be 20% Lebanese, 30% French, 22% Japanese, and 28% Italian, you would not be only half of two of those.

How can you guys get the % so precise with each grandparent?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:37 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
You calculate based on total shared Centimorgans from aDNA(autosomal). You would need to test the child and the grandparents for comparison. I used FTDNA because my priority is genetic genealogy.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:14 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Because I had my paternal grandfather take the test, and it shows us exactly how much DNA we share. I also had my mom tested, so by process of elimination, I can tell exactly how much DNA I share with my dad, and my paternal grandmother too. Neither of my maternal grandparents are living so there is no way to know how much DNA I share with my maternal grandmother vs maternal grandfather, all I know is my mom and I share 52.7% because she tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy