Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,432 posts, read 16,517,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
(not that I don't have great respect for the Mayflower crew and passengers).
In general I have a lot of respect for Old World people who upped and left for an untried, untested and initially almost uninhabited land. One of the great "brain drains" of world history was the movement of people out of those counties to the New World, not having any idea what they'd be facing. In the Mayflower days it was material privation. In later years it was being forcd to learn a new culture, new language and new occupations on top of, often, poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM

416 posts, read 582,564 times
I'm always amazed when they can prove these lines, given the holes in documentation, but especially with those lines where they go through women. It's really hard to document the birth/marriage of a woman between the Revolution to the Civil War (and still not really that easy until vital records were required around 1900), let alone from the Mayflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Regarding Marilyn Monroe, it's not positive that Gifford was her father. I'm related to him through my Borden (I think, don't have charts in front of me) family. Marilyn's mother, who was mentally ill, gave different stories about who her father was.
Well, unless proven otherwise, one stays the course. I have a similar story in one of my lines about five generations back (guy was supposed by-blow of local bigwig/politician), but unless it's substantiated by documentation, well.......

Old 11-07-2016, 09:04 AM

26,882 posts, read 13,100,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In general I have a lot of respect for Old World people who upped and left for an untried, untested and initially almost uninhabited land. One of the great "brain drains" of world history was the movement of people out of those counties to the New World, not having any idea what they'd be facing. In the Mayflower days it was material privation. In later years it was being forcd to learn a new culture, new language and new occupations on top of, often, poverty.
Hillary Clintons family, the Rodhams originated from County Durham in the North of England, not far from where the Washington Family descended from. Indeed the then Presiddent Jimmy Carter visited the area and Washington Old Hall back in 1976 to mark the 200th Ammiversary of US Independence. More recently George Bush visited the area as President, when he visited the then Prime Minister Tony Blair's Sedgefield Constiuency in County Durham. US Ambassador Robert Holmes Tuttle also visited the area and signed a friendship agreement with Washington DC.

US Election 2016: Hillary Clinton's English mining roots - BBC News

Washington Old Hall - Wiki

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Wear | Ambassador tours ancestral roots

Former US President Jimmy Carter reignites his friendship with the North East in a signed letter - Chronicle Live

President Carter's Visits Washington Old Hall

Bush visit ends with pub and protests - The Guardian

As for Donald Trump, his mothers family originate from Tong on the Isle of Lewis off Scotland, and he still has counsins in the area.

In search of Donald Trump's Scottish roots - BBC News

Revelation about Donald Trump's mother is no surprise to islanders unfazed by his fame | News | The National

Insight: Why does the Trump trail go cold in the Hebrides? - The Scotsman

The REAL story of Donald Trump's mother who climbed from penniless Scottish immigrant | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-07-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Me.

I am a direct descendant of Richard Warren via the Delano/Warren line.
Richard Warren has the most descendants of any Mayflower passenger.

I might be one of them too but I get into a mire with the Delanos. A Delano/Warren woman possibly married my ancestor and they went to Vermont but there is no marriage record. There are town records that refer to them so I have to go the little Vermont town to poke around and see if there is proof.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
The thing is, it's often relatively easy to verify records for New England. The Pilgrims and the Puritans, being very religious, were always married in their church and the church kept the records. People did move around a lot within New England and that can be a problem. But you'll see in church records that they were accepted into the new church on (date) and often it will say that they had the recommendation from their former church (name and date.) So that helps.

Those little white churches that dot the New England landscape kept all the records and of course, those churches were the meeting houses too. (separation of church and state???) So their religious records were also their civil records and those records were simply transferred to the town hall when the churches no longer held such power as previously.

The hard part is when the descendants of these people flew the coop. If they left New England and their little churches, it can be hard to find the trail.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:28 PM

385 posts, read 435,890 times
Stop the madness. Sarah Palin and I share the same Mayflower passenger? Ugh. :-D

Old 11-10-2016, 11:31 PM

385 posts, read 435,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Richard Warren has the most descendants of any Mayflower passenger.

I might be one of them too but I get into a mire with the Delanos. A Delano/Warren woman possibly married my ancestor and they went to Vermont but there is no marriage record. There are town records that refer to them so I have to go the little Vermont town to poke around and see if there is proof.
A fair amount of eastern Vermonters married in NH. Closest catholic priest maybe?? But that happened a few times to my hubby's Vermont family back in the early 1700-1800's.

Just a thought.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:18 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,288,552 times
I've always found it so interesting that so many people descend from such a small group like that. Just one of the things that will always amaze me when looking at genealogy. I never want to lose the wonder

I very likely descend from one. An Edward Doty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Doty

He came over as a servant, signed the Mayflower compact, and ended up fairly well off. He was a known trouble maker, though avoided the fates of some others and was never kicked out of Plymouth or punished harshly:

Quote:
The post-1632 records of the Plymouth Court, which has no existing records prior to that year, has twenty-three cases over the 20 years between January 1632 and October 1651 that involve Edward Doty. The records include suits/countersuits, and charges such as fraud, slander, fighting, assault, debt, trespass, theft, etc. But although Doty appeared before the court numerous times, he was never punished for criminal activities beyond small fines.
The most interesting fact about him though was:

The American Experience | The Duel | Dueling, American Style

Quote:
Edward Doty and Edward Lester, of the Massachusetts colony, fought the first recorded American duel in 1621, just a year after the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth. Armed with swords, both men sustained minor wounds. A unique aspect of this duel was that Doty and Leicester were servants. For the most part, only gentlemen dueled.
Definitely seemed like a character. I enjoy imagining his antics amongst the Pilgrims lol. Should be a tv show.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM

986 posts, read 1,850,436 times
US President Zachary Taylor is my 6th great-grandfather, and 2 Mayflower passengers were also my great-grandfathers (9th and 10th).

Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,796,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
Stop the madness. Sarah Palin and I share the same Mayflower passenger? Ugh. :-D
Me too! We are both descended from Stephen Hopkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy