Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 PM

32 posts, read 177,560 times

Advertisements

We're trying to find info on my husband's great grandfather, who we know was born in Ireland in approximately 1820. Have tracked him through US Census from 1860 to his death in 1902.

But have not been able to find him in 1850 or earlier census so thinking that may be timeframe of his travel to United States. However can't find anything on Ancestry Worldwide or Ireland genealogy sites. Any suggestions?

Also how do you research someone when there are so many spelling variations (and just plain mis-spellings) of the surname? That's our other difficulty in this search.

Thanks for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM

15,972 posts, read 10,531,630 times
The 1900 census shows immigration year. I assume you searched ship manifests. They don't have a lot of information -- maybe the port of embarkation would help and dates. See if others of the family are listed. If the surname is uncommon enough you might be able to look for the name in a specific region or parish records. That's how I found my ancestors in Tralee. Baptismal records and marriages show parents and witnesses which can be a clue to other family.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:34 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,786,602 times
I joined FindMyPast and found a lot of records on my Irish ancestors. I didn't find much that was new with public and parish records, but the newspapers were VERY helpful--with birth announcements, marriage announcements, death notices, articles about lawsuits. Also, the probate records I found there, I had not seen anyone else. They really helped me figure out who someone's parents wans siblings were.
I think you can sign up for a month, and then just cancel if you don't wish to continue. you definitely want the World version, not the US version.

Another site that is helpful in a spotty was is Rootschat.com. It's a free discussion forum, like this site, for UK and Ireland, but broken down by county. You post questions there, and if you're lucky, people jump in and send a bunch of information. I didn't do so well with the people in the Irish county I was interested in (Roscommon) but people on Leicester England were immensely helpful. So like I said: spotty. Also on the site are a bunch of "stickies' in each forum with lots of links to UK and Ireland resources.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:03 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,555,174 times
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ire...nd_Immigration

http://www.rootsireland.ie/help/help...ssenger-lists/

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.c...n-records.html

Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times
Did he naturalize? If so, have you looked for his naturalization papers?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Thanks all for your great suggestions. I will check out those sites.

SunGrins, unfortunately the census person either neglected to ask date of immigration or did not write it in as that column is blank. It does however say he came from Ireland.

The surname is not that unusual (I don't think), but when you try to spell it phonetically it is easy to substitute the letter i, e, and a. In the federal and New York State census records I have there are 5 different spellings, one of which has a c rather than e. I'm not even sure if our current spelling is how it was originally in Ireland.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming 🤓

Old 11-21-2016, 04:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
Was he a civil war veteran? Many Irish were. Military records NARA sometimes have additional info. For union veterans-- GAR posts kept track of their members.

Was he Catholic? Parish records are an excellent resource. Did he belong to a fraternal organization?

Did he participate in one of the gold rushes? Poll tax lists were often kept, as well as, jury lists.

Land records, military bounty, homestead filings can help pin down location & time.

I have located hard to find people by looking at the census for the supsected area page by page.

Post your ancestor name (spouse if known) birth estimate, & known locations. I can think of several genealogy sleuths who post here & will find something--- if it exists online.

Last edited by historyfan; 11-21-2016 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-25-2016, 12:25 AM

7,018 posts, read 6,223,052 times
I posted in the unusual name post & was amazed when a person responded with my fathers information.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Was he a civil war veteran? Many Irish were. Military records NARA sometimes have additional info. For union veterans-- GAR posts kept track of their members.

Was he Catholic? Parish records are an excellent resource. Did he belong to a fraternal organization?

Did he participate in one of the gold rushes? Poll tax lists were often kept, as well as, jury lists.

Land records, military bounty, homestead filings can help pin down location & time.

I have located hard to find people by looking at the census for the supsected area page by page.

Post your ancestor name (spouse if known) birth estimate, & known locations. I can think of several genealogy sleuths who post here & will find something--- if it exists online.
Have no idea if he was a veteran. Pretty positive he was Catholic as the family through the years are Catholic. We really know very little except the following ...

John Minnehan (Minihan, Minehan, Manahan, plus other variations) was born abt 1820 in Ireland. He married Mary Galleger, a widow with two children, who was born in Ireland also abt 1820. Mary's children were Catherine Galleger born abt 1847 and Thomas Galleger born abt 1849. Both children were born in Ireland.

Have no idea if Mary and John were married in Ireland or the United States. I believe they were married approximately late 1850's. The first I can find of them in the US is 1860 census in Genessee County New York. They eventually moved to Livingston County New York where they both died in 1902, John passing away on the day of Mary's burial. John and Mary had four children, Henry, James, Mary and Ellen.

I have them pretty well traced from 1860 on, but just don't know where to look for earlier info. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,323,615 times
I just started searching my Irish ancestors but they've got really common names e.g Patrick Oreilly so it's proving impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy