U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:06 AM

15,612 posts, read 14,811,571 times

Advertisements

https://www.americanancestors.org/freebillion

Search 1.4 Billion Names for Free until July 6. You must sign up for a free guest account with the New England Historic Genealogical Society. It's a great site to find your ancestors, not just New England.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:13 AM

869 posts, read 1,155,770 times
Default My Heritage Free Upload of DNA from other sites

My Heritage is allowing free uploaded analysis of anyone's raw DNA. I did mine and only took a day or so to be analyzed. (Not sure on that as I looked a few hours after I uploaded and it was in process and then forgot to go back until today/but it was very fast). I have put a very small , maybe 7 people tree on there for me, free subscription which is generally a teaser to subscribe, but it did show me a few matches based on a few names and then maybe 200 matches that showed we match and the amount of DNA involved, etc. It's definitely worth free, maybe more.

Interesting part of it was the change of results which I will need to read what the designations actually mean. My Ashkanazi Jewish numbers went up some but the whopping increase in Scandanavian, GREEK???? and English was strange. I need to see how they assign the English and the Scandanavian aspect because I suspect much of that will be Scotland/Norway. The Greek? 14 percent greek is a puzzle. I make incredibly good Mousaka; souvlaki; gyros; tabooli; coucous and I could go on (Greek Lamb with rosemary and garlic and oils ------------- oh, faint...) but that is not from family training but a fascination with lots of ethnic foods.

I was in a sorority...............maybe ....................... ...nah..............

Upload your raw data and see if you change - as with Ancestry and GEDmatch.com, on My Heritage, I have absolutely No traces, nada, zilch of Native American or African, North or otherwise. And my middle east was gone...perhaps that upped my Ashkanaz .....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM

3,558 posts, read 3,612,203 times
Ancestry: Free access to colonial records. Ends July 4.

Search Free - Find out your American family history

Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 AM

8,215 posts, read 19,015,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
My Heritage is allowing free uploaded analysis of anyone's raw DNA. I did mine and only took a day or so to be analyzed. (Not sure on that as I looked a few hours after I uploaded and it was in process and then forgot to go back until today/but it was very fast). I have put a very small , maybe 7 people tree on there for me, free subscription which is generally a teaser to subscribe, but it did show me a few matches based on a few names and then maybe 200 matches that showed we match and the amount of DNA involved, etc. It's definitely worth free, maybe more.

Interesting part of it was the change of results which I will need to read what the designations actually mean. My Ashkanazi Jewish numbers went up some but the whopping increase in Scandanavian, GREEK???? and English was strange. I need to see how they assign the English and the Scandanavian aspect because I suspect much of that will be Scotland/Norway. The Greek? 14 percent greek is a puzzle. I make incredibly good Mousaka; souvlaki; gyros; tabooli; coucous and I could go on (Greek Lamb with rosemary and garlic and oils ------------- oh, faint...) but that is not from family training but a fascination with lots of ethnic foods.

I was in a sorority...............maybe ....................... ...nah..............

Upload your raw data and see if you change - as with Ancestry and GEDmatch.com, on My Heritage, I have absolutely No traces, nada, zilch of Native American or African, North or otherwise. And my middle east was gone...perhaps that upped my Ashkanaz .....................
My Heritage gives free matching and ethnicity. Family tree DNA gives free family matching.

I had won a kit at My Heritage because they saw my grandparents and great grandparents were from Hungary, so I was part of the test group. My results ended up being a small amount of Italian the rest Hungarian. On Ancestry I have all sorts of things mixed in.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
bjh

23,571 posts, read 21,343,486 times
Where are you all finding these freebies?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Where are you all finding these freebies?
Some come via email. Which are you wanting to know about?

Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 AM

1,391 posts, read 590,584 times
Ancestry DNA kits 30% off I think it ends in a five hours.Might just be for Australians.
Visit ancestry.com or ancestry.com.au

I bought mine before this a few days ago of course.I think wait times will be very long now for my results.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The occupation search on Ancestry is back for a few days.
Howard posted this in another thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 AM
bjh

23,571 posts, read 21,343,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,436,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks Roselvr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy