U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2018, 05:08 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,704 posts, read 22,918,157 times
Reputation: 120067

Advertisements

Access up to 5 yearbook photos on ancestry.com for free until September 7th. Sign up for an unpaid account to do so if you're not already a member.

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/yearbooks

Not sure how useful this may or may not be to non-members, but thought to pass it along it case it helps.

Last edited by bjh; 08-29-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2018, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
5,681 posts, read 8,113,728 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Access up to 5 yearbook photos on ancestry.com for free until September 7th. Sign up for an unpaid account to do so if you're not already a member.

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/yearbooks

Not sure how useful this may or may not be to non-members, but thought to pass it along it case it helps.
I just checked it out. I go back and forth on whether Ancestry is an expense I need in my life, so I'll buy a month here and there depending on how bored I am. I got the e-mail about the yearbooks and have connected quite a few to my tree already. When I checked this out, as a free member, you get to see FIVE pictures without a preview or a note that its already been attached to your tree. So, I clicked two that were shown as matches to my maternal grandmother and they were INDEXES of said yearbook without a photo. Hashtag what a waste of two clicks. If ancestry does anything well it's getting people sucked in to spend that $20 a month with their semi click bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
5,899 posts, read 8,522,516 times
Reputation: 10902
Default Free Access to Find My Past

Findmypast.uk.co is free Sept. 8-10 so I have heard. Also heard any records you have opened without a subscription will be gone soon. So, what I found last year and is still on line, will be wiped out, since I do not have a subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 01:38 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,704 posts, read 22,918,157 times
Reputation: 120067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I just checked it out. I go back and forth on whether Ancestry is an expense I need in my life, so I'll buy a month here and there depending on how bored I am. I got the e-mail about the yearbooks and have connected quite a few to my tree already. When I checked this out, as a free member, you get to see FIVE pictures without a preview or a note that its already been attached to your tree. So, I clicked two that were shown as matches to my maternal grandmother and they were INDEXES of said yearbook without a photo. Hashtag what a waste of two clicks. If ancestry does anything well it's getting people sucked in to spend that $20 a month with their semi click bait.
I was afraid of that. Oh, well, thought I'd mention it in case it helped anyone. Maybe someone got something out of it. The good news for those who don't have ancestry.com is if you live near a public that has it then documents can be sent unrestricted to your email and you can download them at home same as if you had a subscription. FYI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 01:43 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,704 posts, read 22,918,157 times
Reputation: 120067
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Findmypast.uk.co is free Sept. 8-10 so I have heard. Also heard any records you have opened without a subscription will be gone soon. So, what I found last year and is still on line, will be wiped out, since I do not have a subscription.
Their sight has good stuff. And I use the UK one, not the US one. I recommend it if you have a lot of British ancestry. I can't imagine not downloading what's been paid for, but thanks for mentioning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
8,380 posts, read 12,150,266 times
Reputation: 8071
Ancestry DNA plus their US Discovery 6-month membership is $99 (50% off) through Oct. 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 11:40 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,314 posts, read 20,351,047 times
Reputation: 6459
I opened my gmail to see an email from Ancestry DNA saying it's $69 ending today so it's the perfect time to order it. It doesn't go on sale for that low too often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 8,076,363 times
Reputation: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I opened my gmail to see an email from Ancestry DNA saying it's $69 ending today so it's the perfect time to order it. It doesn't go on sale for that low too often
The prices have been coming down. Thanksgiving is around the corner and I'm sure that $69 deal will return. They had it during July too. The $59 price has popped up only once or twice this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 04:04 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,314 posts, read 20,351,047 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The prices have been coming down. Thanksgiving is around the corner and I'm sure that $69 deal will return. They had it during July too. The $59 price has popped up only once or twice this year.
I wonder how many they sell at full price.

If it's gonna be like last year, Thanksgiving will be $79 with black Friday being $69 or $59, they then did $59 for a few days before Christmas IIRC. I can't recall what sale price it was after black Friday, may have been $69 or $79. They seem to jump all over depending on how many people purchase kits and what other companies are doing.

I think with My Heritage and FTDNA doing free uploads Ancestry had to start dropping their price by having more sales. This year they had more sales then they ever did since I've been watching the price and buying them.

Mothers day was $59 because I bought a few with Fathers day being $69.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 01:24 PM
 
4,209 posts, read 2,783,738 times
Reputation: 5104
I'm pretty sure in Ancestry charged $39, $29 or even $10, they still be making a profit, maybe not the almost $1 Billion they make a year now, but still in the hundreds of millions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top