Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It should be on your DNA home page. Even if your paid account expired you can still see which DNA Circles you are a part of and how many people are in it. With a paid account you can see who is in it, which to mean isn't worth the money. You don't do anything to become part of a DNA Circle, it is done automatically **if** you have a substantial family tree on Ancestry.com. If you have no DNA circles you probably don't have a large enough family tree. My DNA circles are all people born before 1850, more recent people don't have enough descendants who have taken the test.

Looks like this...

Thank you. Do you have public trees? It tells me I have to make mine public. I have it private right now due to someone copying every one of mine and my kids relatives when there is no connection other then by marriage. My kids are not considered anything to them. I'm new to this and am still learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Growing up, I was the lightest one in my immediate family. My mother used to tell me I had fair skin. When I was a teen, she bought me some face powder, told me to try it on (it was too pale LOL). One time when we were eating dinner, one of my brothers commented on how pale I was, which got the whole family talking.

Then I got my DNA test and it said I was 9% Scandinavian and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia plus a small amount from Great Britain. So that explains it! I also knew this had to come from my Dad's side so I asked him about it. He said he had no idea. (He's Puerto Rican while my mother's ancestry is Southern European).

Since having the test, I've been dealing with a mystery. I got a match with a woman who is (99% certainty a 2nd cousin). Since I learned all the surnames of my great grandparents, I figured that the mystery would be solved. It only got deeper. She doesn't know much about her ancestry but none of the surnames in her tree matched any in mine. I'm now wondering if there is a skeleton in the closet (as they say) and if digging deeper would be worth it.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Yes, my DNA test confirmed my grandparents are Italians and Native Americans.
;-)

Amerindian 24.81
Arabian 0.76
Armenian 2.83
Basque 3.52
Central_African 1.01
Central_Euro 1.38
East_African -
East_Asian -
East_Balkan 0.77
East_Central_Asian 0.34
East_Central_Euro 3.44
East_Med 0.70
Eastern_Euro 1.30
Fennoscandian 0.97
French 1.69
Iberian 12.76
Indo-Chinese -
Italian 11.29
Malayan -
Near_Eastern 4.55
North_African 4.26
North_Atlantic 5.29
North_Caucasian -
North_Sea 3.45
Northeast_African -
Oceanian -
Omotic 0.48
Pygmy -
Siberian 2.19
South_Asian -
South_Central_Asian -
South_Chinese -
Volga-Ural 0.33
West_African 7.53
West_Caucasian -
West_Med 4.36

Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Since having the test, I've been dealing with a mystery. I got a match with a woman who is (99% certainty a 2nd cousin). Since I learned all the surnames of my great grandparents, I figured that the mystery would be solved. It only got deeper. She doesn't know much about her ancestry but none of the surnames in her tree matched any in mine. I'm now wondering if there is a skeleton in the closet (as they say) and if digging deeper would be worth it.

My wife has a mystery 1st / 2nd cousin and based on their shared matches it's clear that it's not my wife with the wrong family tree. She never responded to any messages. Probably made her thanksgiving dinner more interesting

If you're on Ancestry.com you can see who you share matches with, that should make it pretty obvious which branch you share if you have a paid account and their family tree is public.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thank you. Do you have public trees? It tells me I have to make mine public. I have it private right now due to someone copying every one of mine and my kids relatives when there is no connection other then by marriage. My kids are not considered anything to them. I'm new to this and am still learning.
I used to have mine private because some people on mom's side get irate when I had pics of our shared ancestors or if I didn't verify everything with them first. I made it public again earlier this year because I'm doing tons of research and want other people to see it. If the stories today's living aren't recorded somewhere they die with the person.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
I used to have mine private because some people on mom's side get irate when I had pics of our shared ancestors or if I didn't verify everything with them first. I made it public again earlier this year because I'm doing tons of research and want other people to see it. If the stories today's living aren't recorded somewhere they die with the person.
That's another reason its private, some people have issue being included in it after my hub told everyone what I have.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
I have not researched how these tests work, but my sister's results are not consistent with those of my aunt (father's full sister). I don't remember the details, but here's an example: if my aunt is 12.5% Whatever, then my dad should also be 12.5% Whatever. My sister's Whatever amount should be 6.5% plus any inherited from our mother. But it wasn't. My aunt had large amounts of something that my sister had almost none of. I suppose it's because what came down to my sister through my dad is not the same as what would come through a female line. But that makes the test less meaningful, if it is only giving information about the female line.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I have not researched how these tests work, but my sister's results are not consistent with those of my aunt (father's full sister). I don't remember the details, but here's an example: if my aunt is 12.5% Whatever, then my dad should also be 12.5% Whatever.
That's not the way it works. Full siblings do not necessarily inherit the same amounts of any particular ethnicity, because they do not inherit all the same DNA from their parents unless they are identical twins.

Quote:
My sister's Whatever amount should be 6.5% plus any inherited from our mother. But it wasn't.
Again, children do not necessarily inherit exactly half of any particular ethnicity (unless the parent is 100% Whatever).

Lets say the parent is 25% Whatever. As an example, let's pretend number 1-100 represent the parent's full genetic make up. Let's say the 25% "whatever" can be found on segments 1-25. Now, let's say the child inherits segments 20-70. So the child has inherited 50% of their DNA from the one parent, but not 50% of the "25% whatever", they've only inherited 5% of that "whatever". Recombination is random.

Quote:
My aunt had large amounts of something that my sister had almost none of. I suppose it's because what came down to my sister through my dad is not the same as what would come through a female line. But that makes the test less meaningful, if it is only giving information about the female line.
Nope, autosomal DNA has nothing to do with gender.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:22 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:

If you're on Ancestry.com you can see who you share matches with, that should make it pretty obvious which branch you share if you have a paid account and their family tree is public.
I am on ancestry---that's how I discovered this person who, according to ancestry, is a 2nd cousin. Plus, after some conversation online with her, it's clear that this is on my father's side.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Yes, my DNA test confirmed my grandparents are Italians and Native Americans.
;-)

Amerindian 24.81
Arabian 0.76
Armenian 2.83
Basque 3.52
Central_African 1.01
Central_Euro 1.38
East_African -
East_Asian -
East_Balkan 0.77
East_Central_Asian 0.34
East_Central_Euro 3.44
East_Med 0.70
Eastern_Euro 1.30
Fennoscandian 0.97
French 1.69
Iberian 12.76
Indo-Chinese -
Italian 11.29
Malayan -
Near_Eastern 4.55
North_African 4.26
North_Atlantic 5.29
North_Caucasian -
North_Sea 3.45
Northeast_African -
Oceanian -
Omotic 0.48
Pygmy -
Siberian 2.19
South_Asian -
South_Central_Asian -
South_Chinese -
Volga-Ural 0.33
West_African 7.53
West_Caucasian -
West_Med 4.36
Which specific test was this? I'd like to run it on myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy