Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying my names and no I'm actually not a 'Sarah'. I'm ok with my surname. It's easy to spell and pronounce. It's fairly common, but I think that may be because I am descended from a fairly healthy line of people who averaged ten plus babies every generation. I believe it comes from England.

If anything, I probably would have chosen to change my first and middle name. My first name is not really a name for my generation. It's sort of like being named "Gertrude'. I finally accepted my middle name. It's a decent name that has been passed down through a few people. Growing up in the south, it was often mispronounced. Finally, I accepted the mispronunciation and have claimed it as my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:52 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,531 times
I never really liked my first name. It was a common name and there were always about 3-4 girls with that name in my classes in school. My middle name? Named for my mom's mom who I was never close to. My last name sounded sing-songy with my first name. I kept my ex's name after divorce just because it was easier than changing it back.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
I am not really fond of my first name. Most people cannot spell it and it has no particular history or reason given to me besides my mother liked it at the time.

My last name I like for a lot of reasons, so never changed it. My daughter has my last name instead of her father's because we both preferred it to his.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
My original surname is unusual. Those who originally emigrated to the U.S. came from Germany, so I assumed for years that it was German, but it's actually a modified Scandinavian surname. I like it so much that I kept it as my middle name when I married and dropped my original middle name. My first name is the Danish version of a very popular female name, and I think it suits me just fine. I wouldn't change it.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
My surname is okay. It's easy to spell and pronounce. It's the name of a city in the north of England from which it originates. (Not Liverpool, lol.)

I wish I had a different first name though. From an old letter I learned that my mother had a little spat with HER mother when I was born so my mother named me after some friend of hers. My grandmother's letter asked, "And how is little Hallie Mae?" (That was supposed to be me!)

But I wish I had been named after my great grandmother, Ella. I did get her middle name, Jane.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
I'm planning to change my first name this year. About time. I love my maiden name and plan to make it a second middle name.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
My name is Matthew Allen Langley.

[snip]

Allen is a family name. My father's middle name was Allen as well. I have two Allen surnamed ancestries, my father probably didn't realize he (and subsequently him naming myself) was named for an ancestor. One Allen ancestry is closer than the other and is more likely to be the naming tradition. I have been fairly successful with the genealogy up that line. There's one semi-questionable link but the best fit leads back up a few generations and leads through some well documented people. Including a Charles Allen "Esq" of Laurens Co., South Carolina:

Charles Allen, III (1764 - 1856) - Find A Grave Memorial

There's an interesting American Revolution story for him:
William Hubbs of Laurens County South Carolina Patriot or Loyalist ? | Kats Mountain

Quote:
Quote:
In those times any man 16 years or older could be called into service. Often in emergency there were no written lists or even orders. William Hubbs may have served without papers too. His encounter with “Bloody Bill Cunningham was once written up in a newspaper although no one seems to have a copy of it. William was working at his farm when Cunningham was headed his way with other British. Charles Allen, on his way to the mill, saw them, rushed to the Hubbs. William just had time to get into the middle of a hay stack. The British knew he had been warned, so they hung Charles till he was almost dead. They then cut him down and tried to make him talk. He would not so they hung him again and left him for dead. Mrs. Hubbs and one child were there si they quickly cut him down and revived him. Charles lived to be a leading citizen of Laurens. Oh, the men stuck a pitchfork all over the hay stack. Either they missed William or he was not much hurt. William was said to have had another fight with others and Bloody Bill Cunningham. He had his sword raised and was close to Cunningham when he stumbled and fell over a log. The British got away.
All that really gives more meaning to Allen now and I genuinely appreciate it now.

[snip]
I really like the story behind the name Allen, great post. I appreciate your sharing this. Great thread so far.

When it comes to my own first name, it was seemingly random how I got my name anyway when looking at my family history. As a kid I used to want to have a very common first name, but now to me it makes no difference at all. To keep things simple in my life, I have no plans changing my name.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:17 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I like my name's and Im glad I have them. What I don't like is hearing someone say. You don't look like someone with that name. It's only happened a few times, but I find it an odd thing to say to me. I know I would never make such a comment to someone.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:58 PM

783 posts, read 576,099 times
My surname is pretty generic. My mother had a cool Dutch surname that I can never spell properly, which I wouldn't mind having. My father also had a different surname originally.

But if I could choose one, I would choose Hugginkiss. It's super unique and can be totally fun if you choose the right first name. Willy Hugginkiss? Maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy