Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info on a gg uncle. He had a delayed birth certificate. It says on it "Verification Social Security Application #xxx-xx-xxxx", I found it on ancestry. How do I track down that number? He was born in 1908. The delayed birth certificate was issued in 1963. I'm looking for when, where he died, etc. I'm not sure my dad or his siblings ever met him. They have no info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times
I would start with social security information: The SS death index should be on Ancestry:

"Q9: What information is available from Social Security records to help in genealogical research?

A: You might want to start by checking out the Social Security Death Index which is available online from a variety of commercial services (usually the search is free). The Death Index contains a listing of persons who had a Social Security number, who are deceased, and whose death was reported to the Social Security Administration. (The information in the Death Index for people who died prior to 1962 is sketchy since SSA's death information was not automated before that date. Death information for persons who died before 1962 is generally only in the Death Index if the death was actually reported to SSA after 1962, even though the death occurred prior to that year.)

If you find a person in the Death Index you will learn the date of birth and Social Security Number for that person. (The Social Security Death Index is not published by SSA for public use, but is made available by commercial entities using information from SSA records. We do not offer support of these commercial products nor can we answer questions about the material in the Death Index.)

Other records potentially available from SSA include the Application for a Social Security Number (form SS-5). To obtain any information from SSA you will need to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request."

from https://www.ssa.gov/history/hfaq.html

Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Thanks!

I'm not having much luck with it. This family has changed names on me a time or two and there is no telling if he used another name. I have found his brother known as 'Silas' as 'James' in the Census records and then later switches to 'Silas'. I finally found a marriage certificate for him under 'William James'. Their father has possibly changed from 'John Thomas' to 'John Riley'.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
There are free sites that have social security death indexes. I think ancestry includes it. Try every variation of name you can think of. Then search out information on tgise people to eliminate them.

There will be some sort of a military record either for service or for WWII drafts fir any male in US during that time period. That is place I would start.

Delayed Birth certificates were done when someone needed proof of age for a benefit. I have found ones & I wondered if info was accurate.

Here's an index for SS death
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
If your Uncle, because of military service, was buried in one of the 200+ Veterans cemeteries, you can search for his name here : Nationwide Gravesite Locator

Only a Last Name is required. Other info is optional.

Good Luck..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy