Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM

322 posts, read 706,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Even if you were able to prove that an ancestor from the 1600's was Native American, you still wouldn't have qualified. Again, you'd have to become a registered member of a tribe - you can't do that based off one ancestor from the 1600's. You're talking about at least 10 generations back (probably closer to 13). That would make you, at best, 1/1024 Native American. You're so far removed that you wouldn't have a relative on the Dawes Rolls, nor would you qualify in any tribe that requires a blood quantum.
We need to revisit your above post......People with ancestors from the Mohegan tribe (CT) as mentioned by the poster, they would not find Mohegan ancestors on the Dawes Roll. You singled out this roll why? The Dawes Act (the final roll) were for the Five Civilized Tribes for land allotments in Oklahoma. Mohegan's use an Indian roll from an 1861 Indian Census in Connecticut. Many Indian tribes had more than one roll, but many rolls tribes were recorded on during the early years.

Not all tribes require "Blood Quanta" as criteria for enrollment but proving lineal descent to an Indian ancestor or in some cases matrilineal descent to a certain roll/census to register. Also, if lineal descent to federal recognized tribe can be proven, someone can still obtain their CDIB (Certified Degree of Indian Blood) even if they cannot enroll due to blood quanta restrictions. Some tribes also provided recognition of descent when people don't meet blood quanta requirements, acknowledging them. It shows they have a valid ancestry by proving decent via pedigree in absence of a tribal membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
We need to revisit your above post......People with ancestors from the Mohegan tribe (CT) as mentioned by the poster, they would not find Mohegan ancestors on the Dawes Roll. You singled out this roll why? The Dawes Act (the final roll) were for the Five Civilized Tribes for land allotments in Oklahoma. Mohegan's use an Indian roll from an 1861 Indian Census in Connecticut. Many Indian tribes had more than one roll, but many rolls tribes were recorded on during the early years.

Not all tribes require "Blood Quanta" as criteria for enrollment but proving lineal descent to an Indian ancestor or in some cases matrilineal descent to a certain roll/census to register. Also, if lineal descent to federal recognized tribe can be proven, someone can still obtain their CDIB (Certified Degree of Indian Blood) even if they cannot enroll due to blood quanta restrictions. Some tribes also provided recognition of descent when people don't meet blood quanta requirements, acknowledging them. It shows they have a valid ancestry by proving decent via pedigree in absence of a tribal membership.
Thanks for that information. Even if there's no benefits to it, it would be nice to be able to say it. I'm sure proving that lineage is equally as hard (or if not harder) as it is to get into DAR or a similar organization.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:

I didn't say all tribes require a blood quantum - I said the LW wouldn't qualify for any tribe that did, nor would they find a relative on the Dawes Rolls.

I mentioned the Dawes Rolls because the LW's basis for claiming Native American ancestry is from family lore regarding a relative from the early 1600's. Because it's all lore, then the Mohegan part is also lore. If there is Native American ancestry, it could be from a different tribe.

Anyhow, the point of the conversation was that the LW mentioned that she would have done research about the family lore as a way to try and get federal funding so they didn't have to take out student loans. And having a relative from 11+ generations ago doesn't make it likely that any tribe would accept the LW.

From what I've read on the Mohegan Tribe's constitution, it seems they only recognize membership from people who show up on their roll from May 11, 2002, or those born on or after that date. So if the LW actually does have a smidgen of Mohegan blood, they still wouldn't qualify for tribal membership, and therefore wouldn't have qualified for federal money meant for Native Americans.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 PM

600 posts, read 566,238 times
Not surprising. A lot of White people claim to be Native ________ fill in the blank everywhere they live.

In Canada, they claim to be the Original 1st Nations, in Alaska, they claim to be the Eskimos, in Hawaii, yep, they claim to be full blooded Native Hawaiian. In America, they claim to be Native American, in Israel, they claim to be the Biblical Isralites (proven false with DNA test). etc etc. The list goes on and on.

Heck, if life was found in Mars, a white man would be the first to claim he's full blooded Martian or part martian, or has a mother who dad's grandpa has a little bit of Martian in him when he took a time capsule and flew to Mars using Alien technology back in the 1900's. Heck, he would even have an old letter signed by a doctor stating it.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Are you from the south? It seems like every southern family claims Native American blood lines. My family is southern but they never claimed that but when I began doing genealogy it was everywhere, seemed like every family claimed to be part Native American. I wonder why so many families claimed that to be true?
As more information comes online, I am seeing documentation from the frontier areas of the southeast, roughly 1790 thru 1820. I just read a 1811 report where a white man gave four of his daughters in marriage to Native Americans near the Chatahoochee River. Most families weren't in the fringes areas, but they all heard and even read about the marriages. That's probably how it all got started.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I didn't say all tribes require a blood quantum - I said the LW wouldn't qualify for any tribe that did, nor would they find a relative on the Dawes Rolls.

I mentioned the Dawes Rolls because the LW's basis for claiming Native American ancestry is from family lore regarding a relative from the early 1600's. Because it's all lore, then the Mohegan part is also lore. If there is Native American ancestry, it could be from a different tribe.

Anyhow, the point of the conversation was that the LW mentioned that she would have done research about the family lore as a way to try and get federal funding so they didn't have to take out student loans. And having a relative from 11+ generations ago doesn't make it likely that any tribe would accept the LW.

From what I've read on the Mohegan Tribe's constitution, it seems they only recognize membership from people who show up on their roll from May 11, 2002, or those born on or after that date. So if the LW actually does have a smidgen of Mohegan blood, they still wouldn't qualify for tribal membership, and therefore wouldn't have qualified for federal money meant for Native Americans.
I marked "bold" what I was addressing not the essence of your reply which I believe he/she understood. The poster made no mention of the Dawes Rolls or any tribe related to that roll. You are lending the Dawes Commission to an entirely different tribe as an example (for whatever reason) was erroneous. If you read the Mohegan constitution and that zealous in doing so, you should have been using that solely to respond to her/him on their Mohegan ancestry correctly so, not the Dawes. Many people never heard of this roll, why even suggest it? Rhetorical question. Use correct rolls with the correct tribe even if just for an example.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 04-30-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 09:07 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
I marked "bold" what I was addressing not the essence of your reply which I believe he/she understood. The poster made no mention of the Dawes Rolls or any tribe related to that roll. You are lending the Dawes Commission to an entirely different tribe as an example (for whatever reason) was erroneous. If you read the Mohegan constitution and that zealous in doing so, you should have been using that solely to respond to her/him on their Mohegan ancestry correctly so, not the Dawes. Many people never heard of this roll, why even suggest it? Rhetorical question. Use correct rolls with the correct tribe even if just for an example.
Try reading what you quoted.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Not surprising. A lot of White people claim to be Native ________ fill in the blank everywhere they live.

In Canada, they claim to be the Original 1st Nations, in Alaska, they claim to be the Eskimos, in Hawaii, yep, they claim to be full blooded Native Hawaiian. In America, they claim to be Native American, in Israel, they claim to be the Biblical Isralites (proven false with DNA test). etc etc. The list goes on and on.

Heck, if life was found in Mars, a white man would be the first to claim he's full blooded Martian or part martian, or has a mother who dad's grandpa has a little bit of Martian in him when he took a time capsule and flew to Mars using Alien technology back in the 1900's. Heck, he would even have an old letter signed by a doctor stating it.
You are so right. I guess it's now considered 'cool' to be part Native whatever. My southern grandparents and great-grandparents would never have admitted having Native American blood, or Mexican blood (they lived in Texas), anywhere in the family. It would have been considered very embarrassing. Now times have changed so much that people brag about having Native Americans, or any other ethnic backgrounds, other than plain ol' white bread Americans! Since we don't control who our ancestors were seems an odd thing to brag about.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Try reading what you quoted.
No. I hope you read it and understood the point I was trying to convey. The misinformation about Native issues turns into the, "blind leading the blind." If you know about the tribes, rolls etc is one thing. Clearly you do not. The ignorance which abounds here I try and correct, over and over and over again. You know what my issue was with your post. Research properly on our issues, tribes, rolls etc. May not be a big deal to you, it is to us.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 05-06-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy