Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times

Advertisements

Yes. As it turns out, I'm not Korean. But, why the love for Kim Chee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainemarie62 View Post
I immediately matched up with my parents according to Ancestry.com, which was a relief! LOL
I knew we had Native American in our family, my mom showed NAm but I didn't???
However, I had several things that neither parent had, Middle East, Asia Central, and some other traces less than 1%. After reading some interesting articles on the DNA markers that were used in place of NAm for Cherokee. The DNA used to identify Cherokee is Middle East/Northern Africa and a trace of Asiatic. That DNA mixture is stronger than just NAm classification, it indicates full blooded Cherokee.
We always talked about getting this done, but a cousin wanted to compare her DNA with my father's, because her father (my uncle) was deceased and her DNA showed no German, which my father's came back at over 40% German, then Great Britain, then Scandinavian, with traces of I P, Irish/Scotish. She knows that her one brother (now deceased) is a half-brother and she thought that her other brother was a genetic match, but it really bothers her not knowing. So I guess that some people will find out the real truth about their parents, even though they are deceased. I will be making a trip to visit her personally with the results so that I can help her deal with this finding. All she really needs to know is that her mom and dad really loved her and gave her everything she needed to become a successful individual.
I don't understand the Cherokee part.
Quote:
Middle East/Northern Africa and a trace of Asiatic
How do they get Middle East/North African?

Old 06-28-2018, 01:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Just wanting to know if anyone else was disappointed with their result from the DNA ancestry test?
No, I wasn't disappointed at all. It just reaffirmed what I already knew from decades of scrupulous research, plus my ancestry is pretty darn obvious from a quick glance in the mirror. I wasn't expecting any great surprises, and I didn't receive any.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
thing i hate, once they get your money, the matches stop. you paid for a set of numbers that worthless without a data base

Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
thing i hate, once they get your money, the matches stop. you paid for a set of numbers that worthless without a data base
Which service? I bought a DNA kit through Ancestry.com and uploaded for free on MyHeritage. I still get email updates that show me new cousin matches even though I am not a paying member of either site.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,884,817 times
Yup. The mystery of my unintended birth by my 19 year old married birth mother has been resolved. Appears she ran off with an older married man with children. He was an alcoholic, deserted his family leaving his kids to be raised by grandparents and died early due to his drinking. Guess the circumstances of our entry into this world isn’t always puppies and rainbows.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:27 PM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
I get updates from both Ancestry and My Heritage but not FTDNA. I'm not sure if it's a setting you have to check. Who did your DNA?

Old 06-28-2018, 04:11 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
All the companies continue to update your match list, even if they offer a subscription that you don't pay. There may be limitations on how much data you can access from your matches if you don't pay the subscription, but you'll still continue to get new matches as other people take the test.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Just wanting to know if anyone else was disappointed with their result from the DNA ancestry test?
I was disappointed to know that my Paternal DNA was European and not African. I know I have partial European in me, about 1/3 according to 23andme. One day I was visiting my old man in Guyana, and my Oldman prides himself being black. One day me and my old man was watching the results of the Scottish Referendum for independence. Upon the loss of the Scottish vote my dad was upset and he hoped for an Independent Scotland. Than he told me that our forefathers are Scottish, and that we are Scottish people. I laughed it off. A year later he passed. I did not believe him until one day I took a DNA test and pointed out my Paternal lineage is from the North Sea area. The only thing I need to know is if my paternal linage, if he raped a slave woman, or had a consensual relationship with a slave or an emancipated woman after abolition of slavery in the British Empire.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was disappointed to know that my Paternal DNA was European and not African. I know I have partial European in me, about 1/3 according to 23andme. One day I was visiting my old man in Guyana, and my Oldman prides himself being black. One day me and my old man was watching the results of the Scottish Referendum for independence. Upon the loss of the Scottish vote my dad was upset and he hoped for an Independent Scotland. Than he told me that our forefathers are Scottish, and that we are Scottish people. I laughed it off. A year later he passed. I did not believe him until one day I took a DNA test and pointed out my Paternal lineage is from the North Sea area. The only thing I need to know is if my paternal linage, if he raped a slave woman, or had a consensual relationship with a slave or an emancipated woman after abolition of slavery in the British Empire.
Why would you be disappointed? It's not like you have any control over what people did in your family all that time ago.

In terms of finding out whether there was consent, it's not like they are alive for you to ask. Still, DNA tests can bring up all sorts of interesting things in our families that we didn't know. And a lot of the time they do confirm stories we hear from our grandparents.

Still you can ask old people in your family what stories they heard of your slave ancestor and your Scottish ancestor.

The US was very good at keeping records, so I was able to trace back to the 1800s, and go over which ancestors have slave owners as their fathers. It's why my last name is Jewish. On one side of the family, the owner named the son after him. His slave was apparently his maid/concubine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy