U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,410,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, I've known a number of AAs and West Indians with Scottish last names. Do you have this Scottish ancestor's last name?

Just curious, did any of your family move to Britain? I know a lot of West Indians did in the 50s and 60s.
Yes I do. I don't want to display out here for you to see, that's for sure. But I can tell you the story. My great grandfather had a common law relationship with a Bajan women of Scotts/Irish descent. Both emigrated to Guyana in South America for higher wages. The relationship sprouted two handsome mulatto boys. Both boys did not take their fathers name, but took their mother's surname, and which is what I have today. My great grand father paternal name I had knew or known, but I found men who have the same paternal lineage as I do with the same last name or a variant of it. My great grand father also had a Scottish name due to his grand father or great grandfather being Scottish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Sally Hemmings is old news for me to, but I did learn something new yesterday. She was the half sister of Martha Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's wife. So Jefferson had one sister as wife and one sister as slave/maid/concubine. He was a freak.

I wonder how did Martha feel about her sister being her husband's almost second wife (interracial marriages were not legal then)? Probably not happy, but what could she do?
The story of Sally Hemming and Thomas Jefferson is one of the most interesting love stories during the birth of this great Republic, and it shows the importance how love transcends time and race and class. Jefferson started love relationship with his personal slave Sally Hemmings. What is interesting about Sally Hemmings is that she is a quarter black and 3 quarters white. The kids she had with Jefferson passed off as white, but born a slave. Sally Hemming's mother is also half white half black and had relations with the Father of Marta Jefferson father who is white, which gave birth to Sally. Interesting that Sally Hemings is the sister of Martha Jefferson.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:20 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,039,323 times
https://www.monticello.org/site/plan...-brief-account
Quote:
Years after his wife’s death, Thomas Jefferson fathered at least six of Sally Hemings’s children. Four survived to adulthood and are mentioned in Jefferson’s plantation records: Beverly, Harriet, Madison, and Eston Hemings. Sally Hemings worked for two and a half years (1787-89) in Paris as a domestic servant and maid in Jefferson’s household. While in Paris, where she was free, she negotiated with Jefferson to return to enslavement at Monticello in exchange for “extraordinary privileges” for herself and freedom for her unborn children. Decades later, Jefferson freed all of Sally Hemings’s children – Beverly and Harriet left Monticello in the early 1820s; Madison and Eston were freed in his will and left Monticello in 1826. Jefferson did not grant freedom to any other enslaved family unit
According to the source, the Jefferson-Hemmings children were born well after his wife's death. Although it doesn't say who the father of her other 2 children was.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 AM

187 posts, read 102,360 times
I was not disappointed but my nephew was. He has, for years, participated in, donated to and identified with Native Americans (still a politically correct term?). Before the advent of DNA testing, he was given hope by my mother, his grandmother, that he had some Native American blood based on family misinformation.

Too bad, so sad. I had no preconceived notions other than a 1635 immigration date from Frome, Somerset, UK (documented), which DNA testing can neither confirm or deny. I was surprised that I had 17% Scandinavian ancestry but that is common because of the Viking invasions of the British Isles way back when.

Why they lump Italy with Spain together is kind of interesting to me. (3%)

Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM

10,375 posts, read 4,087,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I was not disappointed but my nephew was. He has, for years, participated in, donated to and identified with Native Americans (still a politically correct term?). Before the advent of DNA testing, he was given hope by my mother, his grandmother, that he had some Native American blood based on family misinformation.

Too bad, so sad. I had no preconceived notions other than a 1635 immigration date from Frome, Somerset, UK (documented), which DNA testing can neither confirm or deny. I was surprised that I had 17% Scandinavian ancestry but that is common because of the Viking invasions of the British Isles way back when.

Why they lump Italy with Spain together is kind of interesting to me. (3%)
This is just a guess on my part but I would think Spaniards and Italians share a lot of common ancestry since Spain was a colony of Rome for hundreds of years. I'd be surprised if the majority of Spaniards didn't have some Italian ancestry at least going back to the Roman Empire.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,575,143 times
Quote:
74%
Germany & the Midwestern United States

Scandinavia
11%

Ireland/Scotland/Wales
7%

Great Britain
7%

Finland/Northwest Russia

Almost all of my Mom's Ancestors come from Great Britain and Ireland.
I was surprised (not disappointed though....we are what we are).
I have no idea where the Scandinavian comes from though. I will have to keep digging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman

Maybe this...but still more Scandinavian DNA then Great Britain?
My Dads family came to America from Germany in the 1800's.
My Mothers family came from the Great Britain and Ireland in the 1600's.

<1%

I was suprised (not disappointed though....we are what we are).
I have no idea where the Scandinavian comes from though.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 AM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was suprised (not disappointed though....we are what we are).
I have no idea where the Scandinavian comes from though.
I haven't been impressed with Ancestry or MyHeritage's ability to tell Scandinavians from Germans or people from Great Britain. My grandmother can trace her ancestors to Germany and Scotland, yet Ancestry says her top region is Scandinavia. She literally doesn't have a known ancestor from there, let alone 1/3 of her DNA.

I have one or two Scandinavian ancestors, like 1700s distant, yet MyHeritage says that is my top region, at about 30%.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,575,143 times
^Maybe that is it, maybe they just need to perfect it.
I haven't found all of my Mom's immigrant ancestors yet, they mostly came here in the 1600's, but I am working on it...the vast majority though came from Great Britain and Ireland, so it sort of leaves you scratching your head.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:17 AM

9,865 posts, read 8,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Me too. I look Scandinavian yet only have about 10% European dna. Mostly Yemen and sub Saharan African. My Kids were all blond haired blue eyed too. My MDNA Is traceable back to one of 5 women in Yemen 1000's of years ago.
That's not surprising at all. You said thousands of years. The evidence from ancient DNA studies shows that Basal Eurasians migrated out of East Africa to the Middle East and by 50,000 years ago one of three dispersal migrations from this group ended up in the Balkans. Then around 40-35,000 years ago this group (in the Balkans) of hunter gatherers dispersed into Iberia and France and South Western Russia. Your MDNA family "Eve" was probably one of the Basal Eurasian females and your ancestors followed one of the paths into Iberia or France.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 AM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This is just a guess on my part but I would think Spaniards and Italians share a lot of common ancestry since Spain was a colony of Rome for hundreds of years. I'd be surprised if the majority of Spaniards didn't have some Italian ancestry at least going back to the Roman Empire.
Sardinia and Southern Italy were Spanish colonies until the early 1700s, and Sicily was a Spanish colony until 1860.

So there are lots of links between Italy and Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or