U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:08 PM

8,240 posts, read 12,854,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
it seems like they made it easy to take the stupid out of it, too many people complaining about a 1000 years ago with, my family never been to spain. so it seems like they are only counting the last three hundred years.
The ethnicity report is supposed to represent your ancestry from "hundreds to thousands of years ago": https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...ty-v-community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

64 posts, read 10,855 times
Disappointed in terms of what ethnicities it reported? Not at all. My life isn't going to change dramatically because I found out that I'm 2% more French than I thought I was or whatever.

Disappointed in the fact that it didn't help much in answering my biggest question, which is who the hell is that abrupt dead end in my family tree? Kind of.

To be fair, it wasn't my result, it was my mom's, but that's the side of the family the abrupt dead end is on.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 AM

5,673 posts, read 3,215,367 times
I did Ancestry and got 40% Italian (Southern Italy/Salerno) and 5% Greek. Downloaded to My Heritage and got 0% Italian and 32% Greek. That is way wrong.

Besides knowing my immigrant Italian Great-Grandma, I have a paper trail in Italy going back to the 17th Century. How can the two be that far off?

I think I trust Ancestry's results more. They match my research.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM

5,147 posts, read 2,946,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I did Ancestry and got 40% Italian (Southern Italy/Salerno) and 5% Greek. Downloaded to My Heritage and got 0% Italian and 32% Greek. That is way wrong.
Something is very wrong with the MyHeritage estimates....at least for people who have transferred their test results from somewhere else. I'd like to see results from someone who actually tested there and also tested somewhere else rather than transferred results. Something seems odd at MyHeritage.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM

9,232 posts, read 20,268,764 times
Quote:

Besides knowing my immigrant Italian Great-Grandma, I have a paper trail in Italy going back to the 17th Century. How can the two be that far off?

I think I trust Ancestry's results more. They match my research.
My hub where Ancestry is more correct due to the known relatives. My Heritage will catch up. They're new. They've been pretty accurate for the rest. Figured I'd check his since I saw you post

Ancestry
46% Italian (Sicily)
England, Wales, Northwestern Europe 33%
France 9%
Ireland and Scotland 6%

My Heritage
South Europe Italian - 41.8%
Iberian 8.7%
Greek 4.3%

North & West Europe Scandinavian 21.9%

Asia West 20.1%

Africa North 3.2%

Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 3,215,367 times
My estimates for my Dad's British/Irish on My Heritage were fairly similar to what I got from Ancestry. My Heritage seems to have a problem with Italian DNA. If it was more general and said Southern Europe, as my older daughter's did with 23 and me, I could understand that, but it was specific to Greece. Italy was not highlighted at all. I got 5% Greece from Ancestry. Daughters got none but at such a low percentage of mine I can see that.

My younger daughter did FamilyTree and got 30% Italian. I think I will just pay the $20 to them. I am very sure my matches on there will be more in line with Ancestry, and my daughters results.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-24-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM

4,566 posts, read 7,642,929 times
Quote:
My estimates for my Dad's British/Irish on My Heritage were fairly similar to what I got from Ancestry. My Heritage seems to have a problem with Italian DNA. If it was more general and said Southern Europe, as my older daughter's did with 23 and me, I could understand that, but it was specific to Greece. Italy was not highlighted at all. I got 5% Greece from Ancestry. Daughters got none but at such a low percentage of mine I can see that.

My younger daughter did FamilyTree and got 30% Italian. I think I will just pay the $20 to them. I am very sure my matches on there will be more in line with Ancestry, and my daughters results.
Southern Italy, Sicily, and the Greek islands make up one genetic region. These populations are more closely related to each other, than they are to the fellow "ethnics" in the north for Italy and the mainland for Greece.

Parsing out whether a person is Southern Italian or Island Greek is not easy for these tests. MyHeritage.com gets it right for my wife's family (Island Greeks as far as can be traced) while Ancestry.com's new update says they are majority or plurality Italian!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM

8,240 posts, read 12,854,359 times
Quote:
FamilyTreeDNA does not narrow down their regions as specifically as "Italian". Your daughter must have gotten 30% Southeast Europe.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tion-clusters/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTreeDNA
The Southeast Europe cluster consists of present day populations from the areas of Italy, Greece, and the western Balkan states from Bulgaria to Croatia. Present day populations in the Southeast Europe cluster show some of the highest rates of genetic relatedness to the second wave of migration into Europe roughly 11,000 years ago. This wave of migration consisted of Neolithic farmers from the Fertile Crescent and expanded primarily into southern Europe, incorporating small scattered European hunter-gatherer communities along their path.

The island of Sardinia, having early evidence of post-glacial hunter-gatherer inhabitants, was not permanently settled until this migration of Neolithic farmers from the fertile crescent populated it roughly 8,000–7,000 years ago. Although a key position in early Mediterranean trade routes, the populations of Sardinia remained relatively isolated genetically and today, represent a particularly unique connection to Southeast European Neolithic ancestry.

Populations within the Italian peninsula and the Greek and Balkan states, however, display more genetic diversity having experienced waves of migration and the rise and fall of numerous civilizations. The ancient populations on the Italian peninsula generally consisted of the Greek colonies in the south, Etruscan cities in west-central Italy and north of Rome, and Italian groups, such as Samnites and the Umbrians, who inhabited Rome and central Italy. The western Balkan States mostly consisted of small kingdoms until the rise of Alexander the Great’s father Philip II of Macedon (present day Macedonia).

These early states had a wide influence as they were shaped by Alexander the Great’s campaigns, the Roman expansion, and migrations from Slavic tribes who were forced from the Carpathian Mountains by Germanic tribes in the 5th–6th centuries CE.

The Southeast Europe cluster is home to civilizations that many consider to have founded the principles of Western civilization and continue to influence modern politics, art, and architecture. Greek and Roman influence spans the western and southern regions of this cluster, while the influence of the Hellenistic world of Macedonia and Alexander the Great encompass the Western Balkan states.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 PM

6,708 posts, read 2,426,080 times
I have a lot of Iberian but no relatives with Spanish names, as far back as I can go in the family tree. I think Iberian covers Spain, Portugal, perhaps part of France. No French names either. Its strange because I can't figure out how I have so much Iberian.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 PM

4,566 posts, read 7,642,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have a lot of Iberian but no relatives with Spanish names, as far back as I can go in the family tree. I think Iberian covers Spain, Portugal, perhaps part of France. No French names either. Its strange because I can't figure out how I have so much Iberian.
Which test? Ancestry.com pre-update gave some of my relatives as much as 10% Iberian. We have no known Spanish ancestors and after the update, it all went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or