U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM

8,099 posts, read 12,637,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Really? Mine showed up fine in my & in my son's test results from AncestryDNA. Mine came in at just under 4% as the paper trail supports. It is from my greatgreatgreatgrandmother born in 1821 & married in Catholic ceremony to my French Canadian fur trader 3x greatgf.
Yes, some people match the NA sample group, some don't. It just depends on whether you happen to have DNA which matches their small sample group or not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM

50,407 posts, read 49,735,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry - I don't "get" why people are disappointed in their DNA results, unless some sort of DNA that points to a possible disease or disorder is present. Every single group of humans throughout history have fascinating elements to their stories.
I am thinking of having mine done to see if/how it differs from my sister's. I don't expect much difference, because we are basically White People From Cold Countries In Europe, although my sister's showed 3% Iberian peninsula (which may explain my mother's Spanish-sounding surname) and 1% Asia Minor.

As for the bolded above--yes! I grew up with motifs of windmills and wooden shoes and Dutch cookies that looked like windmills and wooden shoes, but when I went to The Netherlands last year, I took it upon myself to read up a bit more on the country and its more-long-ago origins. To my delight, I discovered that the prehistoric people who first inhabited the area lived their lives based on the rivers--for food, for trade, for everything. I love rivers and am fascinated by the different major rivers in the world, as well as the smaller local ones, and I got such a kick out of learning that--as if my ancestors have been whispering to me through the mists of time all my life.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,575,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am thinking of having mine done to see if/how it differs from my sister's. I don't expect much difference, because we are basically White People From Cold Countries In Europe, although my sister's showed 3% Iberian peninsula (which may explain my mother's Spanish-sounding surname) and 1% Asia Minor..
I was a whopping 28% Iberian DNA, but there are no Spanish, Portuguese or French names in my ancestry. The closest thing I could find in my family tree was the surname "Oliver", which is an English surname but is also can be a Spanish surname.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 PM

9,209 posts, read 17,864,146 times
I can't imagine being "disappointed" in one's results. Truth is just truth, and it's all interesting to me.

But the thing I AM disappointed in is how many high-confidence cousins I have who didn't bother to do a freaking TREE on Ancestry! I guess they just took the test to see their ethnicity? Weird. I can't imagine just wanting to know what % I am of this or that nationality and NOT wanting to know about my actual ancestors!

But, apparently interest in ancestry is not genetic, since most of my DNA relatives don't care to do a tree.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 5,956 times
My grandmother's family swore that their paternal grandfather was white and Cherokee but passed as black and married a black woman and their maternal grandmother was also largely Cherokee. Despite being a visibly, predominantly Black family, let them tell it they are mostly white and Cherokee with some black. One relative even claimed to be able to trace some ancestors to the Trail of Tears.

The eldest male in the family, my great-uncle, took a DNA test that came back 60% Sub Saharan African, 40% European, and 0% Native American.

Paper trail list both the white/Cherokee grandparent and the black/Cherokee grandparent as being "Mulattoes" with Black/Mulatto parents

Last edited by Blueskoo; 02-20-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 05:08 AM

97 posts, read 102,981 times
I wasn't disappointed by my results, but was quite humored at how plain it was:

44% Great Britain
33% Western European
13% Irish
5% Scandinavian
The remaining 5% was just trace elements.

I already knew that all my ancestors, on both mum and dad's side, came from Britain and this just reaffirms. However, both my brother and I have somewhat darker features and often people think we may be of at least partial Italian ancestry, so I guess I was hoping for something a bit more exotic

Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 AM
AFP

5,826 posts, read 3,504,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post

44% Great Britain
33% Western European
13% Irish
5% Scandinavian

I already knew that all my ancestors, on both mum and dad's side, came from Britain and this just reaffirms. However, both my brother and I have somewhat darker features and often people think we may be of at least partial Italian ancestry, so I guess I was hoping for something a bit more exotic
I find that the "trace elements" are the interesting part.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 868,015 times
If I am disappointed in anything it's how confusing it is.

I just got my DNA results back today (my boyfriend got it for me as a gift... maybe he wanted to be sure we weren't related, lol. We aren't).

Anyway, family history: on my dad's side (my paternal grandmother) we go back to the Revolutionary War. I have a relative who fought in it (my grandmother was DAR and I could be too if I wanted to be). That side of the family is Welsh and has Welsh names. We have a pretty good family tree built. There is 0% Great Britain according to Ancestry. I have Western Europe (65%) is that where my British Ancestors are? Western Europe just barely overlaps Wales. My big surprise was 9% Iberian, that also just barely overlaps Wales. I have Irish DNA that sounds like a strong contender until I tell you my paternal grandfather was Irish and Scottish (we still have relatives in Ireland and Scotland), I have an Irish surname and the Irish was only 7%.

So with a Welsh grandmother and an Irish and Scottish grandfather, somehow I only have 7% from the British Isles. Are they covered under the Western Europe part? The Iberian Part? Were my ancestors in Wales not really from Wales? Were the descendants of Roman invaders recruited from Germany (that actually happened, the Batavi) or some other kind of migration? It for some reason did I inherit more of my mom's DNA (does it work that way)?

I need to do a lot of reading and figure this all out. I only watched the video they provided and read the results. I need to learn more for this to make sense. The cool thing is the DNA thing actually did match me up with known relatives of mine (mostly on my dad's side of the family since they are the ones big into genealogy).

Last edited by BellaLind; 03-16-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,575,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post

44% Great Britain
33% Western European
13% Irish
5% Scandinavian

Many British and Welsh people can have dark complexions or look Italian. Cary Grant was Welsh and British, he looked Italian to me, very much so.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM

9,863 posts, read 4,094,474 times
I thought I was mostly white...but I'm not even 20% European lol.

About 70% of my ancestry is traceable to Asia, 10% to sub-Saharan Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or