U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM
AFP

6,058 posts, read 3,622,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I thought I was mostly white...but I'm not even 20% European lol.

About 70% of my ancestry is traceable to Asia, 10% to sub-Saharan Africa.
What part of Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM

178 posts, read 81,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I thought I was mostly white...but I'm not even 20% European lol.

About 70% of my ancestry is traceable to Asia, 10% to sub-Saharan Africa.

Me too. I look Scandinavian yet only have about 10% European dna. Mostly Yemen and sub Saharan African. My Kids were all blond haired blue eyed too. My MDNA Is traceable back to one of 5 women in Yemen 1000's of years ago.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 1,954,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I've been told the family folklore for years about having Native American ancestry. I suspect that it's all hogwash, and I fully expect my DNA results to show no Native American at all.

I think I will be disappointed though if I don't see much diversity in my ancestry, for example it comes back 100% Great Britain.
My wife has heard the same thing her whole life, DNA proved otherwise - 0% native american - 50% British.

I found my results quite interesting - I knew myself to be 50% British with a British mother - turned out I was only 5% British.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
I went into my testing with a very open mind. I knew I would learn new things, and I was excited for it, and I did. I learned I have Middle Eastern, Ashkenazi Jewish, and Yakut ancestors, "coolest" and most surprising to me. However, I am mostly European - from the countries I knew my family came from (Italy, Germany, Ireland). There were also some European surprises though - Balkan, Scandinavian, Eastern European, Sardinian, for the bigger ones. Haplogroup U8a1.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
AFP

6,058 posts, read 3,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I went into my testing with a very open mind. I knew I would learn new things, and I was excited for it, and I did. I learned I have Middle Eastern, Ashkenazi Jewish, and Yakut ancestors, "coolest" and most surprising to me. However, I am mostly European - from the countries I knew my family came from (Italy, Germany, Ireland). There were also some European surprises though - Balkan, Scandinavian, Eastern European, Sardinian, for the bigger ones. Haplogroup U8a1.
Mitochondrial haplogroup(mtDNA) U8a is most commonly found in Basques. Where does your maternal line lead to?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Mitochondrial haplogroup(mtDNA) U8a is most commonly found in Basques. Where does your maternal line lead to?
Can this be answered using my results or is this like a family tree question? I know that my mother's family on both sides came here from Ireland and Germany around the mid to late 1800s. Using my results I'm not sure how to answer this, if it's possible.

I have a question, though, but not sure if anyone can help. The results break down ancestry by each chromosome and you can see what ethnicity is represented where. What exactly does this mean? Like, the only Middle Eastern ancestry I have is represented nearly entirely on the first of the two chromosomes grouped at 4. I don't know what this, or any of the others, means. While I find my results cool, I must admit the science is way over my head.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
I am not 50/50 wombat/gorilla!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,066 times
I did find it to be a little underwhelming. I was super excited to get the results but it was so general. I have three significant regions but the percentage range is so large that it's almost meaningless. Additionally, the region that I was most curious about covers such a large territory encompassing several different countries that it didn't answer any questions. I'm hoping I'll find DNA matches that help me to find those answers. Not an easy task though.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 AM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I am not 50/50 wombat/gorilla!
Oh the horror! I feel your pain.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 PM

1,012 posts, read 947,343 times
My results were fun. I knew I was English on my mother's side, and Mexican Indian on my father's side. The Iberian Peninsula percentage was surprisingly high, but perhaps that confirms some family rumors.
The really fun part was getting 2.3% Sub-Saharan African. I know it's tiny, but it's most likely from my father's side, and they are some nasty people when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm saving that bit of info for a rainy day.

My husband's results were boring, mostly central Europe. But he's very proud of his Neanderthal roots!! hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or