U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 PM

4,079 posts, read 3,418,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
This thread just gave me an idea for the Ancestry.com backed TV show! First it was family history digging shows, like Who Do You Think You Are and Finding Your Roots. Then it was the adoption reconnection show Long Lost Family. All brought to you by Ancestry.com.

How about they get white supremacists, anti-semites, etc, and do their DNA testing, and the big "reveal" can be how much DNA they actually have from the populations they have hate for. Then we get to see their reactions. It would be hilarious. Like a KKK guy can learn that he is 6% African, 4% East Asian, or 3% European Jewish. They might start yelling that the test must be wrong, someone mixed up samples, then the host can be like "We thought you'd say that, so we ran 3 more tests, and this is still the result." Then they can show the person their family tree and the stories of the so-called undesirable people they've descended from. Then maybe some will experience some enlightenment, and some might just get angrier. I'd love it. And it would be much better than half the crap on TV like the 600 pound life or the Kardassians.
Two thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:20 AM

8,196 posts, read 12,761,474 times
Quote:
This thread just gave me an idea for the Ancestry.com backed TV show! First it was family history digging shows, like Who Do You Think You Are and Finding Your Roots. Then it was the adoption reconnection show Long Lost Family. All brought to you by Ancestry.com.

How about they get white supremacists, anti-semites, etc, and do their DNA testing, and the big "reveal" can be how much DNA they actually have from the populations they have hate for. Then we get to see their reactions. It would be hilarious. Like a KKK guy can learn that he is 6% African, 4% East Asian, or 3% European Jewish. They might start yelling that the test must be wrong, someone mixed up samples, then the host can be like "We thought you'd say that, so we ran 3 more tests, and this is still the result." Then they can show the person their family tree and the stories of the so-called undesirable people they've descended from. Then maybe some will experience some enlightenment, and some might just get angrier. I'd love it. And it would be much better than half the crap on TV like the 600 pound life or the Kardassians.
It was done once on a talk show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPs78ofDPo

And his reaction was "this is called statistical noise". 14% is not statistical noise. However, it should be pointed out that we don't know what company they used. For all we know they might have used a company like AncestryBYdna (not Ancestry.com), which use outdated methods and are therefore very unreliable, and are now going out of business because of it. This was also done in 2013 and ethnicity reports have gotten better since then. I'd like to see this guy test again with a known, reliable company, and see what the results are now... hopefully he'd still have some African results so he couldn't claim "statistical noise" again, but there is a possibility he wouldn't.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but according to Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS - only 3.5% - 4% of white/European Americans have African ancestry, though it does vary by state. The highest was 12% of European Americans in South Carolina and Louisiana, keeping in mind the fact that they were including anyone with 1% or more results in Africa, and frankly, 1% could indeed be statistical noise. And that's anywhere in Africa, not SSA. Many people with Mediterranean ancestry wind up with trace amounts in North Africa - it should not be taken too literally at such low numbers like 1%.

White people with unknown East Asian DNA are probably even fewer. Jewish might be more common, since some Jews did convert and hide their background from descendants.

My point is just that there is such a small population of white people who do wind up with unexpected results in another continent/race, especially in a high enough percentage to be considered significant or legit, that most of the show's contestants probably wouldn't reveal what we all hope or wish it would. The vast majority probably would wind up being 100% European (or close enough to it that anything else would be considered noise), and therefore the show would be a flop. It's a nice idea - I too would love to see it done right with reliable and/or multiple companies to confirm it but the reality probably is, I don't think there's enough willing participants who would happen to have the right background for it to work, at least not on a regular basis for a TV series instead of a one-off.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM

4,522 posts, read 4,834,575 times
Quote:
How about they get white supremacists, anti-semites, etc, and do their DNA testing, and the big "reveal" can be how much DNA they actually have from the populations they have hate for. Then we get to see their reactions. It would be hilarious. Like a KKK guy can learn that he is 6% African, 4% East Asian, or 3% European Jewish. I'd love it. And it would be much better than half the crap on TV.
You are brilliant!!!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 PM

2,579 posts, read 3,364,554 times
My mother-in-law (African American) had thought that she was part Native American (I believe that she had been told that her grandmother was 50 percent) but the DNA test came back with none. I think it was disappointing because it had become part of her identity.

My test came back with 20 percent Greek/Italian and then small amounts of Native American and South and Central Asian. I'm a pale redhead so that seemed weird. I thought I was a lot more Irish, but it came back less than 10 percent.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 20,141,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
My mother-in-law (African American) had thought that she was part Native American (I believe that she had been told that her grandmother was 50 percent) but the DNA test came back with none. I think it was disappointing because it had become part of her identity.

My test came back with 20 percent Greek/Italian and then small amounts of Native American and South and Central Asian. I'm a pale redhead so that seemed weird. I thought I was a lot more Irish, but it came back less than 10 percent.
See my Family tree and DNA general instructions then upload your grandmothers to GEDmatch to see if there is Native American. Ancestry doesn't have all of the Native Americans

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-20-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 AM

2,579 posts, read 3,364,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
See my Family tree and DNA general instructions then upload your grandmothers to GEDmatch to see if there is Native American. Ancestry doesn't have all of the Native Americans
Thank you for providing those detailed instructions. I'm definitely going to do that.

For me to know what DNA came from whom (mother/father) would clear up some questions. The one thing I know is that I'm 1/2 Romanian, and if the Native American DNA comes from that side of the family, I'd know that it's a mistake (I read that NA/East Asian DNA is sometimes confused because it has the same origins).

I'm pretty sure that the Italian/Greek DNA (which is a higher percentage than anything else in my test) comes from this side of the family too, since Romania was invaded by the Romans way back when, and since I had a lot less Eastern European DNA than I expected. In the end, I'm still half Eastern European as far as I'm concerned, even thought the DNA test says otherwise. The test is interesting, but I would never say to anyone that I'm mostly Italian/Greek. It seems kind of ridiculous given that no one in my family came from that region of the world.

It was my mother-in-law who expected Native American DNA and didn't have any. I'd like to find out more details for my kids about the origins of that side of their family, although it seems kind of daunting given that they came to the US as slaves originally.

Last edited by yodel; 08-20-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM

9,049 posts, read 20,141,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Thank you for providing those detailed instructions. I'm definitely going to do that.

For me to know what DNA came from whom (mother/father) would clear up some questions. The one thing I know is that I'm 1/2 Romanian, and if the Native American DNA comes from that side of the family, I'd know that it's a mistake (I read that NA/East Asian DNA is sometimes confused because it has the same origins).

I'm pretty sure that the Italian/Greek DNA (which is a higher percentage than anything else in my test) comes from this side of the family too, since Romania was invaded by the Romans way back when, and since I had a lot less Eastern European DNA than I expected. In the end, I'm still half Eastern European as far as I'm concerned, even thought the DNA test says otherwise. The test is interesting, but I would never say to anyone that I'm mostly Italian/Greek. It seems kind of ridiculous given that no one in my family came from that region of the world.

It was my mother-in-law who expected Native American DNA and didn't have any. I'd like to find out more details for my kids about the origins of that side of their family, although it seems kind of daunting given that they came to the US as slaves originally.
You're very welcome. The more DNA tests you have access to, the more questions you get answered. I don't have my parents or siblings. I was lucky that my daughters grandmother and daughter tested and my son's grandmother and a cousin tested. The cousin doesn't answer his PM's but I can see if he's a match to MIL and my son on the DNA results page.

My results came out mostly Hungarian like I knew with a small bit of Italian that I was clueless about. My Heritage used my genes for their test group because that's where both of my parents families came from. I wouldn't doubt that they did as much of my tree as they could before asking me. Would have been nice if they would have given it to me. I only had great grandparents on what I uploaded there.

You can also upload your results to My Heritage and Family Tree DNA. FTDNA gives free family matching, My Heritage gives free ethnicity and family matching.

Below are 3 threads that deal with the ethnicity at GEDmatch if you want to check them out and/or post in them

Please post your Gedmatch Eurasia K14 Neolithic results
Near East Neolithic K13 Admixture Proportions
Post your Gedmatch Eurogenes Hunter Gatherer vs Farmer

Old 08-20-2017, 03:55 PM

361 posts, read 253,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Most upsetting to me was no origin from Krypton could be found, worse, that radioactive spider gave me no super powers, my mutant X-Men genes are dormant. My only hope is lethal levels of gamma wave radiation to hulk me up, but the hulk is unappealing and if it doesn't work, well it's a lethal dose. My mere mundane human genome wasn't exciting.
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!! There's always that one guy.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 PM

18 posts, read 11,588 times
I'm not dissapointed with my DNA results however i was expecting a lot more native mexican inside of me rather then the 10% i am.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 PM

361 posts, read 253,388 times
I wasn't disappointed. My DNA test though pretty much came out as expected. I had been doing genealogical research for a good 20 years before I tested so I had outlined much of my tree back 6-8 generations by that point.

My grandmother always thought she had native american in her so it was a bit of a surprise to find that she really had some middle eastern DNA. I hadn't found any evidence of NA ancestry in my research so it was good to confirm what I had long suspected.

The fact that my results showed a smidge of jewish ancestry (and yes I found that ancestor so it is true), but that smidge didn't show up in my mom's test even though that ancestor is on her side. But meh. I know stuff like that happens. It wasn't anything close to disappointment seeing that though. Just mildly curious at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or