Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Just wanting to know if anyone else was disappointed with their result from the DNA ancestry test?
I was shocked...

My great grandmother (paternal) was full-blood Cherokee and I have ZERO...

Maternal Grandparents are German (10%) and French (ZERO)

Mine came back 47% Russian / Norway and there are no family members with any of those associations.

I even had 5% Iberian..2% African....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM

250 posts, read 181,836 times
Trying to make sense of my 23&Me results. I am 97.7% Ashkenazi Jewish, yet my maternal haplogroup is HV0,which is very rare in AJ. It is more common among very north Norway and Finland today.

Last edited by piperdiva; 12-29-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Trying to make sense of my 23&Me results. I am 97.7% Ashkenazi Jewish, yet my maternal haplogroup is HV0,which is very rare in AJ. It is more common among very north Norway and Finland today.
Remember the haplogroup is only from your direct maternal line, which is like a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of your tree. Maybe it accounts for the 2-3% you didn't get in Ashkenazi. Also remember the ethnicity report is only an estimate - it's not impossible you're less Ashkenazi than that.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:17 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
it not that you are ashkenazi but someone in your tree was in the same area as the ashkenazi at that time

Old 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,304 times
Default Had mine analyzed several times...

23 and me, Ancestry, DNA land and We Gene. All somewhat different. One thing does reamain the same is I am, by percentages mostly Chinese, though my parents heritage is Filipino. Chinese ancestry is known but not to the extent of what I thought. Ancestry eliminated all Europeon trace. So did 23, DNA land brings it back, somewhat diverse which is about true by family history per my mom before her passing, lots of Chinese a spanish grandfather somewhere, an Indian soldier somewhere and the rest local. and We Gene which is apparently an Asian based outfit eliminates Europe, I suspect a drift towards Asian on this but it does breakdown by which people of China I’m made out of. Bottom line. I’m mostly Chinese, trace Europe, and trace Indian subcontinent. Filipino heritage but mostly Chinese.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Remember the haplogroup is only from your direct maternal line, which is like a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of your tree. Maybe it accounts for the 2-3% you didn't get in Ashkenazi. Also remember the ethnicity report is only an estimate - it's not impossible you're less Ashkenazi than that.
I wonder if using Gedmatch, when searching through ancient DNA are they basing their results on only the haplogroup(s)? 23%Me, I just learned, only calculates ethnicity back 1 to 2 generations. That was a "duh" eyeroll moment for me.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,304 times
That explains a lot then. I was wondering why the time line was so short.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:17 PM

834 posts, read 743,658 times
Quote:
Maternal convert down the line? Way down the line I'd assume.

Technically all of my male cousin's boy children will have an Ashkenazi haplogroup with J1E, but unless they marry someone with that DNA, kids/grandkids/etc. will only be 6%, 3%, 1.5% and eventually 0% Ashkenazi.

Here's from Scientist.com: " “We found that most of the maternal lineages don’t trace to the north Caucasus, which would be a proxy for the Khazarians, or to the Near East, but most of them emanate from Europe,”

Old 01-01-2018, 03:09 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I wonder if using Gedmatch, when searching through ancient DNA are they basing their results on only the haplogroup(s)?
No, the admixture on Gedmatch only uses autosomal DNA. Gedmatch doesn't really do anything with Y and mtDNA. They offer a field for people to input their haplgroups, but that's it.

Quote:
23%Me, I just learned, only calculates ethnicity back 1 to 2 generations. That was a "duh" eyeroll moment for me.
That's not true at all. Where did you hear that? They have a tool (Ancestry Timeline) that tries to estimate how far back an ancestor of certain ethnicity might have been, but even that can show 8+ generations, not just 1 or 2. Still, it's not the same as your ethnicity report and is based on having only one ancestor of that ethnicity so it's not necessarily accurate. 23andMe say their ethnicity report goes back "at least 500 years": https://www.23andme.com/ancestry-composition-guide/

"The Ancestry Composition algorithm calculates your ancestry by comparing your genome to the genomes of people whose ancestries we already know. To make this work, we need a lot of reference data! Our reference datasets include genomes from 10,418 people who were carefully chosen to reflect populations that existed before transcontinental travel and migration were common (at least 500 years ago)."

Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM

Read their "White Paper" on calculating ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy