U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:53 PM

84 posts, read 28,310 times

Advertisements

Ok. I understand now. Just imagining 500 or so years of 98% Ashkenazi ethnicity is kind of mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM

7,673 posts, read 11,730,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Ok. I understand now. Just imagining 500 or so years of 98% Ashkenazi ethnicity is kind of mind boggling.
Ashkenazi are very endogamous, so it's quite common.

Old Today, 08:12 AM

84 posts, read 28,310 times
Funny thread derail: I joked with my husband that I should write a book entitled "Eat Right for Your Haplotype" and make millions. 23andMe beat me to it, if the Facebook ads on my feed are correct.

Old Today, 12:23 PM

1,294 posts, read 512,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskoo View Post
My grandmother's family swore that their paternal grandfather was white and Cherokee but passed as black and married a black woman and their maternal grandmother was also largely Cherokee. Despite being a visibly, predominantly Black family, let them tell it they are mostly white and Cherokee with some black. One relative even claimed to be able to trace some ancestors to the Trail of Tears.

The eldest male in the family, my great-uncle, took a DNA test that came back 60% Sub Saharan African, 40% European, and 0% Native American.

Paper trail list both the white/Cherokee grandparent and the black/Cherokee grandparent as being "Mulattoes" with Black/Mulatto parents
This is a common theme in black families. In the south, mulattos were called "Indian" if they had racially ambiguous looks.

I completely destroyed my mother's Indian grandmother myth.

She used to brag about how her grandmother, a fair-skinned woman, was "mostly Indian" and how she loved to braid her long strait hair. I looked up the records her grandmother's family had all been slaves in Texas who were recorded as "mulatto" in records between 1870 and 1920.

Then my mother claimed that Indians were recorded as mulatto in the census, a dubious claim that a lot of people make.

Finally my mother recently got a DNA test, she's not one iota Indian, but 26% European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy