Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why would you be disappointed? It's not like you have any control over what people did in your family all that time ago.

In terms of finding out whether there was consent, it's not like they are alive for you to ask. Still, DNA tests can bring up all sorts of interesting things in our families that we didn't know. And a lot of the time they do confirm stories we hear from our grandparents.

Still you can ask old people in your family what stories they heard of your slave ancestor and your Scottish ancestor.

The US was very good at keeping records, so I was able to trace back to the 1800s, and go over which ancestors have slave owners as their fathers. It's why my last name is Jewish. On one side of the family, the owner named the son after him. His slave was apparently his maid/concubine.
My Father's, Father family are immigrants to Guyana via Barbados of a mix Irish/Afro Bajan common law marriage She was Irish, he was black, that black man great grand father was a Scottish man. My father's mother is a descendent of Afro Guyanese slaves. My mother's maternal side is of Bajan immigration to Guyana, and British coupling naval seaman. My mother's father is a descendent from Brazilian migrant man, who coupled with an Afro Guyanese woman. The Brazilian migrant is white with mix of native and afro brazilin Most of my descendants are immigrants from one land to the next. Last the US has nothing to do with me tracing back my roots. I have to go to visit 5 different countries. Guyana, Barbados, Brazil, Portugal and the UK. Possibly Angola or Cape Verde due to small traces of Afro Brazilian that I have in my DNA. Guyana also has records which they keep as well as for who is who.

I already found out my paternal linage name, through a group of men in the US who I share the same paternal DNA, as well as a variant of my Great Grand Father's last name. Also the old people don't know much, and they don't say much. The old people in my family are dead. The matriarch of my family told me what I needed to know.

Not for nothing. You have these SJW's and these Feminists calling people oppressor because they are white men. An SJW told even though I'm a person of color, I'm still an oppressor due to fact that I'm male, but also a direct descendent of white men, and white patriarchy, and how I benefit from white privilege for being light skin, and I sound white with my speech . That statemen was very hurtful. But oh well. I will soldier on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You have these SJW's and these Feminists calling people oppressor because they are white men. An SJW told even though I'm a person of color, I'm still an oppressor due to fact that I'm male, but also a direct descendent of white men, and white patriarchy, and how I benefit from white privilege for being light skin, and I sound white with my speech . That statemen was very hurtful. But oh well. I will soldier on.
You got to let the opinions of SJWs roll off your back. No true Scotsman lets an insult get to him. :-)

Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You got to let the opinions of SJWs roll off your back. No true Scotsman lets an insult get to him. :-)
Thank you. For what its worth, I learned to embrace being a descendent of Scottish men. And I will have to live with that. I do plan to visit Scotland in the near future.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Thank you. For what its worth, I learned to embrace being a descendent of Scottish men. And I will have to live with that. I do plan to visit Scotland in the near future.
Take lots of pictures. I'm sure you'll enjoy Scotland. If you like it maybe you will live their one day.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/o...l-right-region

Slaveowners having slave/maids as their concubines was very common. Read up on Sally Hemmings and Thomas Jefferson. This has been verified by DNA testing.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/04/o...l-right-region

Slaveowners having slave/maids as their concubines was very common. Read up on Sally Hemmings and Thomas Jefferson. This has been verified by DNA testing.
This I know already. This is old news for me. I knew about this for the past 20 years. Well any who. I did some research. I found out that Scottish person was not a slave owner. He matted or had an consensual relationship with a black woman after the abolition of slavery in Barbados in 1834. I'm not sure if know Nywriterdude. The Scotts played an important role in Slavery in the 13 colonies and in the British Caribbean. A good example is in Glasgow or Edinburgh you have streets named Jamaica street or Virginia street where companies who profited off of slavery. And this explains why so many Black Americans and Caribbean persons have Scottish surnames names vs English surnames who were aristocratically dominant in both North America and in the Caribbean.

I found out that the Scottish person was known as a Redleg, that person was poor, as well as indentured servant, or his family was. He had relations with a black woman, but never married. 3 Generations later, his great grandson ended up leaving the Caribbean for South America which was more prosperous. At this time in history, plenty of Bajans left for Cuba, Brazil, Panama, Guyana and the United States and alike for work.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
I found out that the Scottish person was known as a Redleg, that person was poor, as well as indentured servant, or his family was. He had relations with a black woman, but never married. 3 Generations later, his great grandson ended up leaving the Caribbean for South America which was more prosperous. At this time in history, plenty of Bajans left for Cuba, Brazil, Panama, Guyana and the United States and alike for work.
You are lucky to know the history of a distant ancestor like that, no matter how dubious his status. It seems the majority of people fantasize about being descended exclusively from some imaginary stock of virtuous nobles.

In reality we are all descended from every kind of person imaginable from kings to slaves, saints to criminals, and their stories are what makes up humanity.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
This I know already. This is old news for me. I knew about this for the past 20 years. Well any who. I did some research. I found out that Scottish person was not a slave owner. He matted or had an consensual relationship with a black woman after the abolition of slavery in Barbados in 1834. I'm not sure if know Nywriterdude. The Scotts played an important role in Slavery in the 13 colonies and in the British Caribbean. A good example is in Glasgow or Edinburgh you have streets named Jamaica street or Virginia street where companies who profited off of slavery. And this explains why so many Black Americans and Caribbean persons have Scottish surnames names vs English surnames who were aristocratically dominant in both North America and in the Caribbean.

Yes, I've known a number of AAs and West Indians with Scottish last names. Do you have this Scottish ancestor's last name?

Just curious, did any of your family move to Britain? I know a lot of West Indians did in the 50s and 60s.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You are lucky to know the history of a distant ancestor like that, no matter how dubious his status. It seems the majority of people fantasize about being descended exclusively from some imaginary stock of virtuous nobles.

In reality we are all descended from every kind of person imaginable from kings to slaves, saints to criminals, and their stories are what makes up humanity.
Which is complete BS, and I'm not sure why they would even fantasize about that.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Sally Hemmings is old news for me to, but I did learn something new yesterday. She was the half sister of Martha Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's wife. So Jefferson had one sister as wife and one sister as slave/maid/concubine. He was a freak.

I wonder how did Martha feel about her sister being her husband's almost second wife (interracial marriages were not legal then)? Probably not happy, but what could she do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy