U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,240,617 times

Advertisements

Just wanting to know if anyone else was disappointed with their result from the DNA ancestry test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 AM

7,575 posts, read 11,528,753 times
No, I've managed to break down a few brick walls thanks to the DNA test, not to mention confirm that my grandfather was not the biological son of his father and narrow down his bio father to 4 likely men.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 PM

2,723 posts, read 4,012,101 times
Being "happy" or "disappointed" with your results has everything to do with your expectations. Before choosing a test, be sure you understand how it works and what kinds of information it will give you and will NOT give you. Many people seem to have unrealistic expectations and don't understand the limitations of the tests before they jump in. And lots of people go into it only knowing "family folklore" without doing any research on their ancestors at all. They get upset when their results don't match what they've "always been told." So, educate yourself first. This is a new and expanding field with a lot to learn.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Also be aware that it's taken years to use DNA to break down those brick walls - it's not something that just pops up automatically in your results. Just like researching the paper trail, it takes work, but that makes it all the more rewarding when you discover something.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:57 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,240,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
. And lots of people go into it only knowing "family folklore" without doing any research on their ancestors at all. They get upset when their results don't match what they've "always been told." So, educate yourself first. This is a new and expanding field with a lot to learn.
I've been told the family folklore for years about having Native American ancestry. I suspect that it's all hogwash, and I fully expect my DNA results to show no Native American at all.

I think I will be disappointed though if I don't see much diversity in my ancestry, for example it comes back 100% Great Britain.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I've been told the family folklore for years about having Native American ancestry. I suspect that it's all hogwash, and I fully expect my DNA results to show no Native American at all.

I think I will be disappointed though if I don't see much diversity in my ancestry, for example it comes back 100% Great Britain.
That's unlikely - even people native to Britain with a long ancestry in Britain usually get some results in West Europe and/or Scandinavia and/or Ireland.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM

1,553 posts, read 498,756 times
Most upsetting to me was no origin from Krypton could be found, worse, that radioactive spider gave me no super powers, my mutant X-Men genes are dormant. My only hope is lethal levels of gamma wave radiation to hulk me up, but the hulk is unappealing and if it doesn't work, well it's a lethal dose. My mere mundane human genome wasn't exciting.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

9,288 posts, read 19,312,576 times
Not disappointed but it would've been cool to have some 'exotic' trace regions like most of my closest DNA matches have (Middle East, European Jewish, Sub-Saharan Africa). 75% of my ancestors lived on two little islands and another 25% lived in a small area of West Europe. No wonder I have travel anxiety issues.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:48 AM

9,288 posts, read 19,312,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's unlikely - even people native to Britain with a long ancestry in Britain usually get some results in West Europe and/or Scandinavia and/or Ireland.
Highest percent I've seen on YouTube DNA reveals is 92%. And the girl is from Michigan LOL. Most of the British DNA reveals are less than 25% Great Britain.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:31 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,992,844 times
The level of detail can be disappointing but the results are what they are. We can't choose our ancestors. Family stories make us expect certain results but we need to keep an open mind. What I've come to realize is that people moved around a lot. We might have a snapshot idea of their origin but they got there from someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy