Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Maybe. Do you have any other Swedish matches? How much DNA do you share? What's your longest segment? Does it cross the centromere? You have to be careful with matches that share a segment which crosses the centromere, as they are more likely to be identical by state (ie, you do not share a recent common ancestor), not identical by descent, even if it's a long segment.
I have one "match" who lives in Sweden and has a Swedish name.

I will have to look up the answers to those other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:26 PM

OK. My Swedish match, we have 3 shared segments, largest segment is 16.9 cM and .4% shared DNA. Possible relationship anywhere from 1st cousin twice removed to 5th cousin.

I don't know how significant that is.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
16.9 cM is fairly long, but it could still be IBS especially if it crosses the centromere. The fact that you only have one match who Swedish is also significant, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:08 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
just curious, has your optometrist ever mentioned a 'nordic retina' or have you had a claw hammer type hand where the ring and little fingers bend toward the palm?

I mention because my optometrist called me on Nordic Ancestors based upon an almost white retina long before I ever started doing paper searches of my ancestors. And sure enough after research I found although my ancestors were Scottish - their ancestors were Norwegian. My sister also had surgery to repair the claw hammer and was told by the orthopedist it was an attribute of Nordic ancestors. (that is how Earl Scruggs of bluegrass fame developed his unique banjo style as his hand curled up he started picking the strings in a way to accommodate it. he was of the same scots irish background as we are).

So you could possible have UK type ancestors and DNA today and no Swedish ones, but in the way back machine, Norsemen did invade and settle in Scotland, eastern England, and Ireland.

just an explanation.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
just curious, has your optometrist ever mentioned a 'nordic retina' or have you had a claw hammer type hand where the ring and little fingers bend toward the palm?
No, but I read about the claw hammer type hand online. I don't know about Nordic retina. I have poor vision though but don't know what caused it. My mom's side of the family look very Scandinavian though so that's the only kind of evidence I have. There are no last names ending in "son" or "sen" except for one I found in the family tree - Robinson.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
No, but I read about the claw hammer type hand online. I don't know about Nordic retina. I have poor vision though but don't know what caused it. My mom's side of the family look very Scandinavian though so that's the only kind of evidence I have. There are no last names ending in "son" or "sen" except for one I found in the family tree - Robinson.
The area below the mountains of Scotland and the lower parts of Britan was heavily settled by Scandinavian farmers. As the medieval system took hold, native Britan and relocated Scandanivan farmers merged as estates ruled the land and the remnants of both became the pesantry. The practice of naming the child a son of or daughter of was used by both, but slightly different. If Sprurg had lived under a Scandanivan law, his familyline would be Spurgdottors and Spurgsons. But he and his British bride met and multiplied later, when both's were in use. So my way way back grandfather's legacy is a family called Spurgeoun. 'eon' means 'of'. Spurg is a common Scandinavian name. Its another common form of anglo/scandinavian family names.

I learned that researching the Spurgin/Spurgeons. The really interesting and fascinating thing is unlike many families, I could trace them back as serfs for some five or six generations in the same place. It went from three villages to two, then to one. It grew larger and my ancestors actually owned property. Then their success vanished as the estates were enclosed and the pesants sent away and sheep ruled.

My direct 5xgreat grandfather and his brother were on the first shipment of convict slaves shipped to the americas to relieve the pressure of overpopulated prisons in 1719. He and his brother hadn't moved, but their village today is in the middle of what was the notorious East End. London expanded around them. They had the common job of thief. The most notable part is they were shipped in the very first load of prisoners to be sold for labor in Maryland.

But they ended up like many indentured in Kentucky and moved west over three generations from there, and established themselves in California with my great grandfather's time.

All of this was in actual records because this particular growing town became the city of London. All the church records of the surrounding area were gathered and safely stored when London took over a village. It was awesome to be able to see so far back.

I'm curious what the 'nordic retina' is. Most of my family is nearsighted. Does that have anything to do with it?

Knowing where my family roots came from for such a long time makes me feel like I belong to a littlle bit of the human story as people moved on to a better place for their family but its rather neat to think that on one of those Viking ships which sailed to the native British Isles and stayed was a man named Spurg who is still walking around inside me.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Clawhammer hand gets hundreds of hits for a banjo playing technique, and Nordic Retina seems to be a WordPress blogging theme.

Page after page of google results reveal nothing about genetic conditions.

Does anyone have any links that describe what these conditions are germane to the subject here?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Dupuytren's contracture viking's disease for the hand

I will have to get back with you on the light retina because Google searches go into macular or retina pigmentosa sp ? And that may not be what it is technically called. I don't want to misinform

My eye doctor just said that people who had very light retinas probably were of Norse descent that the retina got redder the closer to the equator genetic ancestorially speaking. That it was not correlated to eye color.

If I find the medical term I will post it

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Any other guys I1 Haplogroup?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
it's claw hand, not claw hammer - this is where the difficulty comes in when searching for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy