U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Status: "In a Mayberry Town in the Mitten..." (set 11 days ago)

4,048 posts, read 6,974,895 times

Advertisements

Yes, my ancestors were some of the first pioneers to settle in Fulton County, Ohio in the northwestern corner of the state. There is a tiny town there that today basically consists of a cluster of homes and a church that bears my maiden surname as its name, since one of my ancestors was the first to settle there and the first postmaster. Today they don't even have a post office.

Others in my family were some of the first settlers in other communities in Fulton County and most of my extended family still live there. You couldn't pry them out of there either. They think Fulton County, Ohio is the best spot on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,579,836 times
My dads family were some of the first settlers of Dallas Texas. They owned thousands of acres of ranch land. Over time that was split up until one of my dads aunts had one of the last sections left. A developer came to her in the 1950's and asked to develop the land. They were going to rebuild her home to look like the new homes. She was all for it until they told her that she would be on city water and the well would have to go. She was not going to sell if she did not get to keep her well. Over time they came to an agreement and she kept the well, had her home rebuilt, and spend the remainder of her life in that home.

Unfortunately the land was mostly sold off by the time my grandparents were starting a family.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 AM

9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
One of the main mountain passes between Harlan Co KY and Lee Co VA bears my last name, the name of one of my paternal ancestors who was among the first White settlers in the area. Another ancestor lived at one of the earliest forts in Central Kentucky (Ruddles Mill). Many of my ancestors got land grants in what is now Kentucky for service in the Revolutionary War.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,599,695 times
Hyattsville and Hyattstown MD were named/began by distant relatives of my mother .. the Hyatt hotel name is associated with my family as well though not thru ownership .. just lending the name ..

Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM

20,501 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Jamestown, NC is named for one of my ancestors, James Mendenhall. Largent, WVA is named for another family, who were some of the 1st white people in that area.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 PM

14,376 posts, read 7,092,380 times
Yes, I shared on the "Most Interesting Ancestor" thread that some of my ancestors were pioneer settlers of Boyne City, Michigan in the Charlevoix area.

Zachariah and Mary Morgan

Zachariah was the brother of my 3rd great grandmother. He moved to the area after her first husband was murdered and she wrote to his wife Mary about the opportunities there, how the white men who killed her husband were not reflective of the friendly whites in the area and how the Indians were not savages (lol). Her husband's name was William Swan. He was one of the first settlers in this part of Michigan.

ETA: I also recently discovered that one of my 4th great grandfathers was a settler in a community that is no longer in existence in Pennsylvania. It was called Hinsonville or "Hinson Village" and was a black American village/town where the present day Lincoln University (the HBCU) is now located.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 PM

14,376 posts, read 7,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yes, my ancestors were some of the first pioneers to settle in Fulton County, Ohio in the northwestern corner of the state. There is a tiny town there that today basically consists of a cluster of homes and a church that bears my maiden surname as its name, since one of my ancestors was the first to settle there and the first postmaster. Today they don't even have a post office.

Others in my family were some of the first settlers in other communities in Fulton County and most of my extended family still live there. You couldn't pry them out of there either. They think Fulton County, Ohio is the best spot on earth.
Cool!

My 3rd great grandparents lived in Fulton County in the 1870s-1880s. They were the only black family in the entire county and lived in the Swan Creek Village area.

FWIW Fulton County had a lot of Underground Railroad activity. And the area is pretty nice. I live in the Toledo area of NW Ohio.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,725,327 times
There are some great responses here and fine detail.

I don't have access to my genealogy info during typing in this reply.

I have some distant ancestors who among the first families to settle a small village in colonial-era Virginia. Maybe in time, I will find out more.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM

5,826 posts, read 3,302,475 times
Yes. My 3rd great grandfather was a pioneer in Wheat Ridge Colorado. He started the first school there, and there is still a Jr.High School named after him. The first little cabin he built has been preserved by the historical society there.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,510,838 times
I have numerous ancestors who were the first white settlers of the New Hampshire coast, and there is still much debate today about the connection between these first settlements and the towns along the coast today such as Portsmouth (originally Strawbery Banke) and Rye (formerly Sandy Beach), which were renamed and/or changed boundaries in the first hundred years of settlement. Some of the first settlements were temporary; what we think of as "towns" came later as the population grew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or