Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
All familiar. Do you have the book "Tidewater Virginia Families" by Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis? We are related through marriage most likely, I don't descend from the Hutchesons, Watkins, or Lees.
I don't have that book but it sounds like I need to! And yes, I bet we are related by marriage!

Later Tidewater Virginia names in my family tree (still early - 1600s) are Martiau, Carter, and Bradley. From Yorktown and Williamsburg and that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of small towns seem to have a lot of descendants of the early settlers of those communities. Do you know of any towns where your family were some of the first settlers where there are still descendants living there today? Is the original homestead still there?

On one side of my family, my Great-Great-Great Grandparents and their young family(including my GG Grandpa) were some of the original settlers in a small South Dakota town in the late 1880s. The original homestead still stands today and although they are distant cousins to me, there are descendants of my ancestors still living there and farming.

How about you? Do you know of any towns where your ancestors were some of the "pioneer settlers?"
My Owings line settled Owings Mill, MD. There is also an Owingsville in KY I believe. And then there's a small farming village......Owings, SC.

As for the homesteads, there may be one or two in MD still standing. At one time, I believe one of their mills and/or homes was a restaurant. There was also an issue where a developer tore down one of the homes and the resulting outcry from the community caused the developer to recreate the original homestead lol.

The original homesteads in SC were all auctioned off and torn down by the end of the twentieth century. There are a couple of second generation to the original homesteaders that are still standing.

Cant say about what's left in KY.

Another line the Hunts in SC, there is a log cabin still standing that was an original settlers homestead.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't have that book but it sounds like I need to! And yes, I bet we are related by marriage!

Later Tidewater Virginia names in my family tree (still early - 1600s) are Martiau, Carter, and Bradley. From Yorktown and Williamsburg and that area.
I'm looking at the index, a zillion Hutchesons, many Watkins. Carters include Charles, George, Giles, Mr (?), Myrtle, R Page, and Thomas. Just one Bradley, Edward. Lee family, she has a load of them.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of small towns seem to have a lot of descendants of the early settlers of those communities. Do you know of any towns where your family were some of the first settlers where there are still descendants living there today? Is the original homestead still there?

On one side of my family, my Great-Great-Great Grandparents and their young family(including my GG Grandpa) were some of the original settlers in a small South Dakota town in the late 1880s. The original homestead still stands today and although they are distant cousins to me, there are descendants of my ancestors still living there and farming.

How about you? Do you know of any towns where your ancestors were some of the "pioneer settlers?"
I wish I had more information about my ancestors: All I know is one family came over on the Mayflower, but the person who had the history is long dead and I have no way of finding out the "rest of the story" I do know the name of the family: it was the Brewster family. My mothers family came from germany in the mid 1880s and settled in Ky and Kansas. that is all I know about them as well.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish I had more information about my ancestors: All I know is one family came over on the Mayflower, but the person who had the history is long dead and I have no way of finding out the "rest of the story" I do know the name of the family: it was the Brewster family. My mothers family came from germany in the mid 1880s and settled in Ky and Kansas. that is all I know about them as well.
It might take a while but if you can trace your paternal lines back far enough, there are books called Silver Books. They will have at least the first four generations after the original Brewster who came of the Mayflower. Once you get back far enough, that makes it easier.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
My great-grandmother was part Caddo from East Texas.....so her ancestors were among the first settlers of North America.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
My ancestors were all in North America anywhere from 250-325 years ago. Almost anywhere they settled they were among the first (American South).

Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Yes, both my mom and my dad's families were among the original settlers of their rural western Wisconsin communities. It was mid 19th century, though, not really that long ago.

My sister and her family currently live in the farmhouse that was built around the original log cabin that my great-great-great grandparents built. It's their kitchen now; they took down the plaster off of one wall to expose the original logs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy