U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,493,488 times

Advertisements

A lot of small towns seem to have a lot of descendants of the early settlers of those communities. Do you know of any towns where your family were some of the first settlers where there are still descendants living there today? Is the original homestead still there?

On one side of my family, my Great-Great-Great Grandparents and their young family(including my GG Grandpa) were some of the original settlers in a small South Dakota town in the late 1880s. The original homestead still stands today and although they are distant cousins to me, there are descendants of my ancestors still living there and farming.

How about you? Do you know of any towns where your ancestors were some of the "pioneer settlers?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
Yes, several.

Some of my ancestors came over along side (or shortly thereafter) Francis Daniel Pastorius, founder of Germantown, Philadelphia, and were among the first settlers there. Some from that same group (or children of that same group) moved out into what is now Montgomery county, PA - again, among the first settlers there.

One of my ancestors was one of the first settlers of what is now known as Colonial Williamsburgh, VA - and among the founding members of Bruton Parish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruton_Parish_Church

One of my ancestors arrived in New Amsterdam in 1630, only 6 years after the first settlers arrived.

Another ancestor was among the first settlers of Lancaster, PA. They were attacked by Native Americans and later, as an adult, their surviving son moved out to Ohio when it was still being settled too.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:58 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Only on my mother's side which is all New England and they just stayed in New England, pushing further and further into what was then, the wilderness.

William Sargent-b1598 Bath, Somerset, England
d1675 Amesbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
Was one of the 18 founders of Amesbury in 1654

Col. Heinrich Ruiter b1742 Albany, NY
Settled Dunkin/W Potton, Quebec (back and forth between Que. and VT)

Hugh Miller b1734 Dunbarton NH
First settler of Richford, VT

James Rogers b1706?
Founder of Dunbarton NH

Daniel Ladd b1614
one of the company of first settlers of Haverhill MA 1640

Benjamin Wright b1714
First settler of Hartford VT. First house in 1763

Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,820,852 times
My family on both sides were probably some of the first settlers in Arkansas. I can only trace my family history back to Arkansas with a couple of exceptions. Some were born in Arkansas in the late 1700s. There were probably some of my ancestors in Arkansas in the 1600s. It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 PM

3,602 posts, read 3,162,247 times
Apparently, I am a descendent of the Moores who were the first settlers in Booneville, Kentucky. Daniel Boone surveyed their land.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 PM

2,329 posts, read 4,614,374 times
Default Whitmire SC

In about 1774, my 4th great grandfather, George Fredrick Whitmire, purchased land and built a cabin in the old Ninety-Six District of SC, at the intersection of the Charleston and Ninety-Six trails, two early major trading routes. In a few years, he expanded his cabin to include a tavern and by about 1800 had added a trading post. The settlement came to be known as Whitmire's and gradually evolved into the town of Whitmire, SC. It was a once-thriving small SC town that, like so many small towns in the South, suffered mightily when textile mills closed and jobs moved offshore. The grave markers for George and his wife, along with a number of other family members, can still be found in an abandoned graveyard just outside of town.

Whitmire Trading Post then Drucilla Whitmire Museum :: WPA Photograph Collection, 193u-194u

Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,139,021 times
I have family that was among the 1st, if not the 1st, to settle in Palo Pinto, County, Texas. The 1st sherriff of Palo Pinto, County was a brother to my Grandfathers Grandfather, around 1857 to 1860. There are Texas Historical markers in honor of my distant kin that played a major role in the settlment of Palo Pinto, County.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 02-26-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 AM

2,900 posts, read 4,607,912 times
My ancestor, Richard Pace, was one of the "Ancient Planters" of Jamestown.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of small towns seem to have a lot of descendants of the early settlers of those communities. Do you know of any towns where your family were some of the first settlers where there are still descendants living there today? Is the original homestead still there?....
How about you? Do you know of any towns where your ancestors were some of the "pioneer settlers?"
Yes, several of my direct ancestors left the U.S. after the Revolution and settled in Prince Edward and Hastings counties in Ontario, Canada. One of them is an Empire Loyalist. There are still descendants of these people living there.

I have another direct ancestor who settled Hackensack, NJ. His surname was Banta, and there were still descendants in that area in the early 20th century, though I do not know about today.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
A lot of small towns seem to have a lot of descendants of the early settlers of those communities. Do you know of any towns where your family were some of the first settlers where there are still descendants living there today?Yes Lake Lure, NC My ancestor and his wife were the first white people to settle there.I have land records for later ancestors from different lines who arrived 1806Is the original homestead still there?no They are supposedly buried on top of the mountain under stones but no one knows where anymore. Family is still there and I go back home to visit often. It is kinda cool to put my feet in a creek that carries the family name.

On one side of my family, my Great-Great-Great Grandparents and their young family(including my GG Grandpa) were some of the original settlers in a small South Dakota town in the late 1880s. The original homestead still stands today and although they are distant cousins to me, there are descendants of my ancestors still living there and farming.

one of my other lines were settlers in Cades Cove which is part of the Smokey Mountain National Park some of the little settlement was saved when the park was established as a teaching exhibit for park visitors

The latest ancestor I have from any line came here during the Revolutionary War, so in a sense most of my family ancestors were colonists as well as pioneers. I think of what their lives must have been like often. chop down trees, put in a garden, and put up a shed/lean to for shelter the first year. Hunt and cure meat in the winter. The second year take the felled trees that had seasoned and build a small cabin, put the cows in the shed from the year before, plow the field and expand the plantings. Year three and two babies later, maybe add something pretty in the cabin.

In the SC upcountry and Western North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or