U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,048,550 times

Advertisements

I did my 23andme test awhile back, and it came back with 17.3% Native American.
I know this is on my father's side.
He's of Mexican heritage, but sadly is fairly unwilling to talk much about his family's history.

The story I have been told is that my father's father's family is from Mexico.
My father's grandfather (or great grandfather?) was a rich guy with a well-known name, and he got one of the servants pregnant. Because she was "Indian" (the word used in the story), she got nothing, and her son got nothing but the family name. The son eventually left Mexico and moved to Texas.

So, the female servant in this story was Indian. My test results came back with me as Native American.
This doesn't mean that I'm descended from one of the tribes of the United States though, right?
(Please educate me here, don't criticize my ignorance.)

Am I correct in believing that the indigenous peoples (Indians) of Mexico (or even Central America or South America, for that matter) would be considered Native American for the purposes of the 23andme test?
The test doesn't differentiate between any of those regions, right?

I have a digital map of the tribes of Mexico. Are there any tests yet to tell which of those I might be descended from?

And last question: I'm going to try to get my father to do a DNA test also. Is the 23andme test the best option, or would you recommend another one?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:32 AM

903 posts, read 307,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Am I correct in believing that the indigenous peoples (Indians) of Mexico (or even Central America or South America, for that matter) would be considered Native American for the purposes of the 23andme test?
Mexican, Central Americans and South Americans are generally x percent indian combined with x percent European or African or a mix of both.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 AM

634 posts, read 458,887 times
Quote:
He's of Mexican heritage, but sadly is fairly unwilling to talk much about his family's history.

My father's grandfather (or great grandfather?) was a rich guy with a well-known name, and he got one of the servants pregnant. Because she was "Indian" (the word used in the story), she got nothing, and her son got nothing but the family name. The son eventually left Mexico and moved to Texas.

So, the female servant in this story was Indian. My test results came back with me as Native American.
This doesn't mean that I'm descended from one of the tribes of the United States though, right?

I have a digital map of the tribes of Mexico. Are there any tests yet to tell which of those I might be descended from?

And last question: I'm going to try to get my father to do a DNA test also. Is the 23andme test the best option, or would you recommend another one?

Thank you.
Native Americans are the original "tribes" from the Americas, all the way from Alaska to Argentina.
The DNA for Native Americans is the same, it doesn't matter if they are Cherokees or Yanomami, or Mayans, or Aymaras, or Waraos or Navajos.....they are brothers and sisters, they are the same people.
I am 26% Native American, and my MtDna is C1 (native american)
But I am related to the Yanomami Tribe from South America, this is from my grandmother's side.

Here is my DNA results, I am Hispanic from South America :

Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

My MtDNA: C1 (Native American)
My Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1a2f* (Irish)

Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM

3,165 posts, read 4,814,335 times
The borders we have today have existed for a blink of an eye compared to the thousands of years of history of Native America. Before Europeans moved in and started setting up boundaries and dividing everyone up, the indigenous population of the Americas moved freely around and between both continents. The people of Mexico, South America and Central America are still "Americans", even though many citizens of the United States think the term applies only to them. This misunderstanding points out a basic difference between European and Native thinking: Europeans believe the land belongs to them, while Natives believe they belong to the land.

So "Native American" in a DNA test refers to genetics common to Native Americans whether they were born in Canada, the US, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Cuba, etc. It does NOT refer exclusively to Native American tribes of the US.

There is a scientist who claims he is able to differentiate certain Mexican tribes through DNA, but like all of ethnicity predictions, it is not an exact science:
https://bustamantelab.stanford.edu/

My advice is not to spend a lot of $$ trying to determine "which tribe" your ancestors came from, because there was always a lot of mixing of people from different tribes throughout history. There was lots of migration and trade and moving around across long distances.

Since you have already tested with 23andMe it would make sense to test your dad there also, so that you can phase your results.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Mexican, Central Americans and South Americans are generally x percent indian combined with x percent European or African or a mix of both.
Yep. 21.8% Iberian, 2.3% Sub-Saharan African.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The borders we have today have existed for a blink of an eye compared to the thousands of years of history of Native America. Before Europeans moved in and started setting up boundaries and dividing everyone up, the indigenous population of the Americas moved freely around and between both continents. The people of Mexico, South America and Central America are still "Americans", even though many citizens of the United States think the term applies only to them. This misunderstanding points out a basic difference between European and Native thinking: Europeans believe the land belongs to them, while Natives believe they belong to the land.

So "Native American" in a DNA test refers to genetics common to Native Americans whether they were born in Canada, the US, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Cuba, etc. It does NOT refer exclusively to Native American tribes of the US.

There is a scientist who claims he is able to differentiate certain Mexican tribes through DNA, but like all of ethnicity predictions, it is not an exact science:
https://bustamantelab.stanford.edu/

My advice is not to spend a lot of $$ trying to determine "which tribe" your ancestors came from, because there was always a lot of mixing of people from different tribes throughout history. There was lots of migration and trade and moving around across long distances.

Since you have already tested with 23andMe it would make sense to test your dad there also, so that you can phase your results.
Thank you. I do understand about Native Americans being from all the Americas. (In college, my science requirements were filled with Cultural and Physical Anthropology, and I loved it.)
I was trying to put my test results with the family story I heard, and get a clear idea of what Native American means as far as the DNA test is concerned.
I appreciate your feedback, and will try to get my father to do the same DNA test I did.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:20 PM

8,812 posts, read 13,573,729 times
Quote:

Native American can mean ancestry from indigenous people of anywhere in North or South America. Since you have known Mexican ancestry, it is likely from that and not from the U.S.

Quote:
No, it does not. Ancestry.com is supposedly working on an update which would break down their Native American category into North American and South America, but no one has any idea when that will be rolled out.

Quote:
No, there is no test which can accurately narrow it down to a specific tribe. DNAtribes.com attempts to break it down into a few different regions, but I've heard they are not very accurate: About SNP Analysis | DNA Tribes SNP Analysis Only Product

You'd be better off researching the paper trail and looking at what tribes lived in the area of Mexico your ancestry came from.

Quote:
From what I've seen, 23andMe is the most likely to report Native American, and since you already tested there, it would probably make the most sense to have him test at the same company.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 PM

634 posts, read 458,887 times
To the Original Poster, the only place I have found so far that separates Native Americans into two categories is DNALand, in my case, I am 30% Native American and it separates it into two categories: Native American and Amazonian
Here is my results:

West Eurasian 62%..... South/Central European 34%
.............................. Southwestern European 25%
............................. Ambiguous 2.1%
............................. Northwest European 1.5%
Native American 30% Native American 25%
.............................. Amazonian 4.4%
African 8.4%............
............................. Senegal River Valley 4%
............................. Lower Niger Valley 2.9%
............................. North African 1.5%

Last edited by ozarknation; 03-01-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 12:45 PM

10,592 posts, read 21,256,134 times
Quote:

Thank you.
How old is your father? I ask because Family Tree DNA is the only company that does male only tests. If at some point you want to know more about your dads paternal line it may make sense to test there, then have yourself done too. I say this because I've tested at Ancestry and My Heritage. I don't have many close matches at either so I ended up taking advantage of the free autosomal DNA transfer FTDNA is offering, then for under $20 you can do more testing. See my post here for details on how to upload multiple tests. You can also upload a family tree GEDcom file too. I have more closer family at FTDNA then I do on the other sites. I still have to test at 23 and me one of these days but I'm impressed with FTDNA. I like how they give you common names you share from the trees too. I'm gonna be testing my dads brother and my maternal cousin there too.

My son is supposed to have Lenni Lenape in him but it did not show at Ancestry. I'm testing his grandmother and will see what happens with her and what more testing I'm interested in doing.

I know this doesn't help with your NA question but it may help with narrowing down your supposed NA great grandmother at some point

Upgrade and unlock all features of Family Finder! For only $19, you’ll get unlimited Family Finder matches as well as full access to all of its interactive tools and features including myOrigins, ancientOrigins, Family Matching and Chromosome Browser.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,179 times
Default Related?

I have a similar story in my family. I wonder if that's a story that is just a story people like to say or if we might be related. Are you related to any Lopez/Mirano/Silva family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or