Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

About 30 years ago my Grandpa's cousin made a family history book that I have been reading up on. It was always said my Great-Grandpa was 100% German. However my Great-Grandpa has a Grandmother (my ggg grandma) who was born in Zurich, Switzerland in the 1840s. Apparently she was still "very German" culturally and was remembered for her German dishes. Of course, she also married a German and spoke German. Do people with ancestors from Switzerland often just associate themselves with the language spoken(i.e. French, German)? Do many people just consider the Swiss people who speak German as German as opposed to Swiss. I just thought it was interesting because you always would hear about my Grandpa's Great Grandparents as being German, even though one was born in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
I do I have a line of Swiss ancestry, leading back to an Isaac Kauffman who was in the early round of Swiss Menonites who became "Amish". In fact there's a religious resolution/letter with Jacob Ammann ("Amish" is named for him) with Isaac Kauffman's name on it. There are records of him being arrested for his beliefs as well.

So part of problems you'll run into:

1) National borders were different then and they shifted officially and conceptually
2) People bounced between bordering areas. In America it's easy to think of distinct Nationalities, since we don't have many border Nations. In Continental Europe however people move and intermix to the point of cultures fusing. Consider that initially immigrants into the US had very strong cultural bubbles (which carried through somewhat but usually slowly integrated)... In Continental Europe it happened for more often with neighboring countries, so you might have an area of Germany that was very Swiss, or Switzerland that was very German etc. When you get to the border areas what do you really even call it. The concept of Nation was every changing based off who claimed what etc so it didn't dictate culture the same way we think of it

3) Many people who came to America came through the German Palatines

Palatine Germans to America - their History of Immigration

Quote:
After Martin Luther published his 95 Theses on the door of the castle church at Wittenberg on 31 October 1517, many of his followers came under considerable religious persecution for their beliefs. Perhaps for reasons of mutual comfort and support, they gathered in what is known as the Palatine. These folk came from many places, Germany, Holland, Switzerland and beyond, but all shared a common view on religion.
Many people from Switzerland fled due to religious discrimination to the German Palatine and then often elsewhere like the US. This also means that many who came to the US merged into German/Swiss communities, intermarried, etc. So the culture then ended up with and passed down could be some adapted one.

4) To this day the majority of Switzerland is German speaking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...ng_Switzerland

Quote:
The German-speaking part of Switzerland (German: Deutschschweiz, French: Suisse alémanique, Italian: Svizzera tedesca, Romansh: Svizra tudestga) comprises about 65 percent of Switzerland
A very related and fused culture and language

Often the many different German speaking cultures were just called German in America as well as elsewhere in the world.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
All of my Swiss ancestors were culturally German, even if they were there for several generations. They spoke German, they had German names, etc. So I usually lump them together. Sometimes, I say "Swiss/German," sometimes just "German". When you consider how much political borders in Europe have changed over history, you stop thinking in term of modern political nations and think more about who your ancestors were culturally/ethnically.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I do I have a line of Swiss ancestry, leading back to an Isaac Kauffman who was in the early round of Swiss Menonites who became "Amish". In fact there's a religious resolution/letter with Jacob Ammann ("Amish" is named for him) with Isaac Kauffman's name on it. There are records of him being arrested for his beliefs as well..
I also have a line of Swiss ancestry, who came to the US as "Amish" people and lived in Pennsylvania for a while. They spoke German.

I've read that Switzerland was originally settled by Swedish immigrants and the name Switzerland means "little Sweden". Switzerland has a diverse group of languages that include French, German, Italian and Romansch so it's probably an ethnically diverse country.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:30 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I've read that Switzerland was originally settled by Swedish immigrants and the name Switzerland means "little Sweden".
There is a Swiss Swedish origin legend but there's no indication that Switzerland means "little Sweden":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_..._origin_legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Etymology

The Swiss Swedish legend seems to suggest the name Switzerland came from the name of the leader of the migrating Swedes: "Suit", alternately spelled "Swit, Schwyt, Switer". I don't know how well accepted this legend is to begin with though, since it is referred to as a legend, not an established fact.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Swedes have never immigrated to Switzerland.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There is a Swiss Swedish origin legend but there's no indication that Switzerland means "little Sweden":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_..._origin_legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Etymology

The Swiss Swedish legend seems to suggest the name Switzerland came from the name of the leader of the migrating Swedes: "Suit", alternately spelled "Swit, Schwyt, Switer". I don't know how well accepted this legend is to begin with though, since it is referred to as a legend, not an established fact.
To add, Y DNA doesn't really support this either

Switzerland seems to be heavily R1b U152
Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) - Eupedia

Some R1b U106

A drop of R1b DF27

While Sweden is heavily I1
Haplogroup I1 (Y-DNA) - Eupedia

and a bit of R1b U106 (charted above)

and a bit of R1a
Haplogroup R1a (Y-DNA) - Eupedia

The history etc suggests the R1b in Sweden went the other direction as well possibly originating in the German/Switzerland region.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
I found some hints of Swiss ancestry, but it was full of holes...

Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 6,164 times
This is interesting. I'm Swiss, born and raised in Zurich. I can trace my family tree a long way back and they're all born in Switzerland. But when my full brother did the NatGeo DNA test, it cited us as German.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
My family lore as taught me as a child was something like my father was 3/4 german 1/8 Swedish 1/8 Dutch. By traceable country of origin, he is about 98% GermanIC. The 2% are 2 Huguenots at the GGGGG GP level. Note Zurich Switzerland is GermanIC as in they speak German. I have 2 separate lines from KT Zurich. Note NO Dutch Swedish Found. Dutch was Deusch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy