U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 PM

634 posts, read 466,732 times

Advertisements

They now improved the Origin map and added a new map, Ancient Origin Map.
I found an error, for example, they indicate the Ashkenazis are not Europeans. I was pretty sure the Ashkenazis are Europeans, from Eastern Europe. I am 2% Ashekenazi.
In the Ancient Origin Map , I am:
20% hunter gatherner, 38% farmer, 7% metal age invader and 36% non-european
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I found an error, for example, they indicate the Ashkenazis are not Europeans. I was pretty sure the Ashkenazis are Europeans, from Eastern Europe. I am 2% Ashekenazi.
Read the abstract to this study. Ashenazi's are a blend of Middle Eastern and European. The European portion is primarily Italian not Eastern European.

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms5835

Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM

23,402 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Mine matches my genealogical paper trail perfectly. It's interesting because I had been surprised how much of my DNA was from continental Europe. When I first started looking into my ancestors I expected them to be mostly English and Scots Irish with a smattering of Germans. Finding the Huguenots blew me away. Then last week I found what is known as a "gateway couple" in my tree, with documented descent from royalty. That alone explained a big chunk of my continental DNA. I was surprised about how many written genealogical records exist from that many centuries ago, but inheritance rights were a Very Big Deal then, especially in prominent families with large landholdings. I now have lines that trace back to three English kings. Yes, I know, the probability of a non-paternal event in that many generations is likely to be significant, but it is fun thinking it's possible! I really never went deliberately searching for royals in my tree!

https://liveasfreepeople.com/2016/05...oyal-heritage/

Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 PM

8,901 posts, read 13,655,028 times
Quote:
Where does it say Ashkenazis are not European? When I click on the population descriptions, it directs me here: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tion-clusters/

Which says: "Ashkenazi Jews, who represent the majority of the world’s Jewish population, derived from countries which were located within Central & Eastern Europe. These Jews are now scattered across the world, with the largest concentrations in Israel and the United States. They represent a unique mix of Middle Eastern and European genetic elements which crystallized within the last 2,000 years."

Mine is better in some ways, not in others.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 PM

634 posts, read 466,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Where does it say Ashkenazis are not European? When I click on the population descriptions, it directs me here: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...tion-clusters/

Which says: "Ashkenazi Jews, who represent the majority of the world’s Jewish population, derived from countries which were located within Central & Eastern Europe. These Jews are now scattered across the world, with the largest concentrations in Israel and the United States. They represent a unique mix of Middle Eastern and European genetic elements which crystallized within the last 2,000 years."

Mine is better in some ways, not in others.
Take a look at the NEW MyOrigin Map:

European
New World
Middle Eastern
African
Jewish Diaspora

They separate Europeans from Jewish (ashkenazi), as you can see above.
I am pretty sure Jewish should be with the European Group.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the NEW MyOrigin Map:

European
New World
Middle Eastern
African
Jewish Diaspora

They separate Europeans from Jewish (ashkenazi), as you can see above.
I am pretty sure Jewish should be with the European Group.
Looks like they made Jewish Diaspora it's own parent category, I imagine because the Ashkenazi are actually genetically very different from most of Europe. I've attached an image illustrating how distinct they are from the rest of Europe, I suppose that's why they decided to give it it's own category.

When you look at the actual map though, where do they place it? I am not able to see that because I don't have results in that category, but I imagine it's within Europe?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone happy with the new Origin Maps at FTDNA?-ancestrydnaoverlapchart.jpg  

Old 04-07-2017, 01:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,079,365 times
FTDNA My Origins- there are no real change for me- I am East Asian (Taiwanese background). So, the results like before is a combo of Northeast Asian (64%) and Southeast Asian (36%). The realize my genetic ancestry probably just comes from these 2 regions, in general in more recent times. I hope one day they will break these regions down in further detail. But, I guess I can't do so until they receive a lot more samples.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Oh look at that, my grandfather has trace amounts of Ashkenazi. As I suspected, the map does put it in Europe, so they are just giving it it's own category because the Jewish are genetically not as related to the rest of Europe as other Europeans are.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone happy with the new Origin Maps at FTDNA?-ashkenaziftdna.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or