U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 AM

60 posts, read 81,280 times

Advertisements

Recently I've been getting more and more interested in my personal genealogy and ethnic makeup (I haven't taken a DNA test but I want to get one soon). All I know so far is that my mom says that she is half Black and half Naive American (don't know the tribe though) and that my father is a Black Trinidadian. I don't live with my father, so I don't know much about my family on that side. But I was wondering, generally speaking of course, what do Afro-Trinidadians usually have mixed in other than African. I'm mostly wondering because when I do take a DNA test, I wanna have a prediction in mind of what I might have in my blood lol. So if anyone can provide some insight, I would really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don16 View Post
Recently I've been getting more and more interested in my personal genealogy and ethnic makeup (I haven't taken a DNA test but I want to get one soon). All I know so far is that my mom says that she is half Black and half Naive American (don't know the tribe though) and that my father is a Black Trinidadian. I don't live with my father, so I don't know much about my family on that side. But I was wondering, generally speaking of course, what do Afro-Trinidadians usually have mixed in other than African. I'm mostly wondering because when I do take a DNA test, I wanna have a prediction in mind of what I might have in my blood lol. So if anyone can provide some insight, I would really appreciate it
I saw My Heritage has a sale of $69; Ancestry and Family Tree DNA should be on sale as well. Search google for a coupon code, then pick one and jump in It's the only way you'll know what ethnicity you have

My Heritage has also been giving tests away on their blog

Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Trinidadians could be a combination of European, African, and indigenous people to that island, along with East Indians.

FWIW, if you grew up with your mom and she claims to be half native American and she doesn't know the tribe, she probably is not half native American so don't be surprised if she is primarily African and European.

I am a member of a lot of social media groups that focus on free people of color (FPOC) and of black Americans from all over the country and most black people do not have much, if any native DNA. If they do, it is very slight. I've never done a DNA test but some of my distant cousins have and are very into genealogical DNA research so I know, via social media a lot of my very distant cousins who have NA DNA. Theirs are from specific ancestors who we share - my 6th and 7th great grandparents, which is a long way away genealogically than myself. Many of them, due to having more of our distant great grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins marry each other (lots of cousin marriages) or, what were then called "tri-racial" families, have more native DNA than my more nearly related cousins who, our ancestors didn't marry into "tri-racial" families. But most have less than 5% native DNA.

But all of those, including myself, we know which tribes are associated with our ancestors and if the ancestor was a parent of your mom - like a grandparent, it would be odd not to know the tribe.

FWIW many of my cousins also have Asian DNA, from East India. Indians, from India were made slaves and were indentured servants in the colonial period and early decades of this country. Some I am aware of moved to Indiana with other FPOC in the early 1800s so my cousins have DNA from a particular ancestor of theirs who was Indian. There was also a short bio written about this ancestor of theirs because he was an early Bishop of the AME church.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM

577 posts, read 342,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Trinidadians could be a combination of European, African, and indigenous people to that island, along with East Indians.

FWIW, if you grew up with your mom and she claims to be half native American and she doesn't know the tribe, she probably is not half native American so don't be surprised if she is primarily African and European.

I am a member of a lot of social media groups that focus on free people of color (FPOC) and of black Americans from all over the country and most black people do not have much, if any native DNA. If they do, it is very slight. I've never done a DNA test but some of my distant cousins have and are very into genealogical DNA research so I know, via social media a lot of my very distant cousins who have NA DNA. Theirs are from specific ancestors who we share - my 6th and 7th great grandparents, which is a long way away genealogically than myself. Many of them, due to having more of our distant great grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins marry each other (lots of cousin marriages) or, what were then called "tri-racial" families, have more native DNA than my more nearly related cousins who, our ancestors didn't marry into "tri-racial" families. But most have less than 5% native DNA.

But all of those, including myself, we know which tribes are associated with our ancestors and if the ancestor was a parent of your mom - like a grandparent, it would be odd not to know the tribe.

FWIW many of my cousins also have Asian DNA, from East India. Indians, from India were made slaves and were indentured servants in the colonial period and early decades of this country. Some I am aware of moved to Indiana with other FPOC in the early 1800s so my cousins have DNA from a particular ancestor of theirs who was Indian. There was also a short bio written about this ancestor of theirs because he was an early Bishop of the AME church.
Most trinitarians I know, are a mix of African and people from India.
I guess they are Afro-Asians.
Same goes with Guyana, and english speaking caribbean islands. Somehow the British brought people from Africa and India to work at the sugar cane fields.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Yeah that was something that kinda got me questioning things too. My grandfather was born in Baltimore but his parents were born in Virginia in Middlesex County (I've seen places within the county like Pine Top, Harmony Village, and I think Topping thrown around). Those places are near the Rappahannock River which I believe had a tribe that lived there historically, but since it's the South I'm pretty sure there were African Americans that lived there as well lol. My mom claims that everybody on that side of the family had straighter hair and high cheekbones, but I guess I won't know for sure until I take a DNA test lol

Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Same goes with Guyana, and english speaking caribbean islands. Somehow the British brought people from Africa and India to work at the sugar cane fields.
Thats pretty interesting! I never knew that Indians were brought over in such large numbers like the Africans were

Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah that was something that kinda got me questioning things too. My grandfather was born in Baltimore but his parents were born in Virginia in Middlesex County (I've seen places within the county like Pine Top, Harmony Village, and I think Topping thrown around). Those places are near the Rappahannock River which I believe had a tribe that lived there historically, but since it's the South I'm pretty sure there were African Americans that lived there as well lol. My mom claims that everybody on that side of the family had straighter hair and high cheekbones, but I guess I won't know for sure until I take a DNA test lol
If you have done some research, you should check out the site below. It mentions a lot of the POC population of Virginia by surname.

I have 4 lines of my family who I have connected with people documented on this site:

Free African Americans

This page is VA/NC/SC specific by surname. There is also a page on MD and DE.

One of my 5th great grandmothers was a descendant of the Bass family shown in this site. I also have cousins who are connected to that ancestor and their other ancestors married into the Chavis family, which is very large and has a page on this site by themselves. Both of these families are associated with specific indigenous populations of North America and the VA/NC area during the colonial period.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 05-12-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I agree with this. There are some Trini members of the forums I'm members of and most of them are mostly African and East Indian. Some also have indigenous, European, and even East Asian (Chinese) DNA.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 AM

4,990 posts, read 4,452,319 times
Quote:
There was a lot of migration to Trinidad not just from India but other places as well including other Caribbean islands.

So yes, there are some dooglas but others whose family came from Barbados, Grenada & other islands who are also of Afro descent.

Unlike mainland U.S., mix is not just about "race" (though I know its an obsession in the plantation nations of the Americas).

Last edited by kovert; 05-14-2017 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
If you have done some research, you should check out the site below. It mentions a lot of the POC population of Virginia by surname.

I have 4 lines of my family who I have connected with people documented on this site:

Free African Americans

This page is VA/NC/SC specific by surname. There is also a page on MD and DE.

One of my 5th great grandmothers was a descendant of the Bass family shown in this site. I also have cousins who are connected to that ancestor and their other ancestors married into the Chavis family, which is very large and has a page on this site by themselves. Both of these families are associated with specific indigenous populations of North America and the VA/NC area during the colonial period.
Oh ok thanks so much for this link! I'll defintely try to check it out real soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or