U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:13 PM

109 posts, read 72,434 times

Advertisements

Like what age did you first become interested in knowing all about your family tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 01:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,769,426 times
only recently so i say when i was in my late 50`s .. i had known my mothers side of the family for 20 years or so but only recently became aware of dads family .. both are of English colonial heritage as well as all other family seeds .. i had relatives on both sides of the revolutionary war as well as the war of northern aggression ... my lineage consists of Moons / Hyatts / Briscoe`s/ Jones/ and Bakers ...i know the least about the Bakers ....

Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,769,426 times
i had known for many years that there were Moons from nearby towns but did not know they were of my own family .. there are at least 15 civil war moons interred here as well a one from the war of 1812 and a few from the revolutionary war but their exact location is lost to posterity ...

Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM

6,134 posts, read 9,108,819 times
I think in 5th grade was when the assignment was to make a family tree. I had to obtain paper 10 feet long and 4 feet wide to get everyone in it. My Mom was very interested too and she kept that rolled up paper for years, bringing it out when someone died or was born, and we added to it.

She also had in her possession a history of Kankakee County (1853) with my gggrandparents pictured and described. I have researched them for decades, never finding their parents' names or info.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM

4,835 posts, read 4,829,444 times
A couple of years ago I asked my grandmother about my biological grandfather. I never met him as he was never part of the family. I started going from there. Then I found out I had a sibling who was put up for adoption at birth. I was livid because I never knew about him. (I had been told it was a girl though). He found me last year and his adoptive parents gifted me a 23 and me test. I took it and was excited to find out about my ethnicity.

My half-aunt is very into genealogy and has been able to traced our ancestors back to the Revolution and beyond. (I've traced them to Alfred the great over 1200 years ago!) I was stoked to find out I am related to John Adams.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,241,471 times
When I started dating a girl from the country that my great grandmother came to the US from as a child - had to make sure we weren't cousins. :0)

Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM

19,920 posts, read 18,928,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think in 5th grade was when the assignment was to make a family tree. I had to obtain paper 10 feet long and 4 feet wide to get everyone in it. My Mom was very interested too and she kept that rolled up paper for years, bringing it out when someone died or was born, and we added to it.

She also had in her possession a history of Kankakee County (1853) with my gggrandparents pictured and described. I have researched them for decades, never finding their parents' names or info.
Mostly, I guess I'm glad they did that in school, especially in your case. Ethically, in education, there have been arguments against it based upon many kids feeling left out when it comes to family ties. In our modern world, as we know, there are more and more cases of broken families, unwed mothers, and other instances that make it difficult or embarrassing to research one's past. Nice that it got your mom involved too!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:08 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,935,455 times
I was first interested when I was about 13 or 14. I asked for some info from my relatives at the time, which was somewhat helpful. I had saved a few things from that time like hand-written letters to me of what they recalled of their own lineage.

I lost interest for quite a while, and returned to this hobby just a few years ago. I'm now addicted to genealogy, but due to other work-related obligations, I don't spend that much time on it as I would like. Perhaps I will after I retire.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:12 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,935,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

That's so unfortunate, that you cannot find matches with this information even with what we have online nowadays.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM

634 posts, read 471,420 times
I first became interested, when my dad told us we have italian great grandparents.
So, me and my brothers started to search and we finally found our family roots all the way to a small town in Italy, the name is San Remo, is near the french border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy