U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times

Advertisements

How would I go about looking for church records? This is a small community church that was probably built around the late 1800's or possibly early 1900's. It's one of those little white churches you see in the country. It has apparently been abandoned now. It was probably shut down in the last twenty years. I'd like to find funeral records from 1910-1925 if they would release them.Where should I start asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 12:42 PM

21,495 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
How would I go about looking for church records? This is a small community church that was probably built around the late 1800's or possibly early 1900's. It's one of those little white churches you see in the country. It has apparently been abandoned now. It was probably shut down in the last twenty years. I'd like to find funeral records from 1910-1925 if they would release them.Where should I start asking?
What denomination? I would check with other churches nearby from the same denomination.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:30 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,805,062 times
If it's abandoned, the records might have been thrown out. You can check with the local historical/genealogical society or other churches (their congregation may have been merged into another church), but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. There is a small church with a smaller graveyard where some of my ancestors are buried. When I visited there, the minister, who was very kind and helpful, explained that back in the 1950s or so, the church was nearly abandoned and all records were lost/thrown out at that time. It was eventually revived and rebuilt but the records were gone.

I would also look into who owns that property. Check current property records to find out who owns it - maybe they have info on whether the records were preserved anywhere.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:21 PM

861 posts, read 472,706 times
Quote:
Stop at near by local churches. Chances are someone knows someone who knows someone who can help with your search. I work at a small church, no I'm not the pastor, once in a while someone will come in looking for a long lost relative. More often than not we can send them in a helping direction.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Much will depend upon the denomination. If it belonged to one of the majors, the records or copies of it will be in a central archive. If a little local stand alone, maybe the local library or museum will have something.

Once you find the official name or even just location, check with that state's historical society for anything that might have been deposited.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:01 PM

I believe it is a Baptist church.

I'm looking for an email address for some of the other local churches. They may be my best bet to find out.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,916,254 times
Quote:

Whether or not you can locate those church records, you can also try to find civil death certificates at the state or local level.

Also, local newspapers may have had obits. Check if the local library has an index to the local newspapers of that time, and also check if that newspaper has been digitized at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...paper_archives
Above site is broken down by geographic location (by state within USA listings.)

Have you searched https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,022,675 times
You might check to see if there is some type of 'historical society' for that community. Often they've incorporated church documents into their archives?? Or they just might have other documents related to people you are searching for? Also, old yearbooks. I will look in my genealogy files to see if I can find some types of organizations that you might look for. I found tons of 'related' info, events, etc. that were about the time /place I was researching some years ago.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:42 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Maybe something here:
https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Bap..._United_States

And for reference:
Genealogy - American Baptist Historical Society

If you could determine the church name & then the time period you are interested in, you could probably discover the minister's name. I have seen records from a minister archived at local historical societies. Searching that minister's name might yield a book of marriage records (or deaths) at a secular archive rather than a Baptist repository.

Reading old local newspapers for obituaries and details of weddings will give some of the minister names. The old genweb online by county sites have all sorts of minister records.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 PM

The family did not know how to read and write so no yearbooks. So far, I haven't had luck with obituaries, death certificates, or headstones. It falls in that time period and place where there just weren't a lot of records. The three people who may have had a funeral at the church all died young and had no descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or