Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM

6,921 posts, read 11,172,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
your ethnicty with dna doesnt start till couple hundred years back. Those living in United states are still too young
I'm not so sure about that. My ancestors have lived in the same part of Maryland since the 1780. I have had no admixture with anyone outside the county since one set of great-great grandparents moved here from Scotland in the 1880s, and only modest admixture with post independence immigrants (all German or British save one Jewish man) before that.

Ancestry is able to place me in the "Settlers of the Potomac Valley" group and the center of the circle they draw for the region is centered pretty much where I am sitting right now......the same place one of my ancestors had his farm in the late 18th century. 200+ years is plenty of time for a group of people to not only accumulate a unique set of DNA markers, picked up by tests like this, but also to self-ID as a group of people who share a common heritage among themselves, the start of ethno-genesis.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-13-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
your ethnicty with dna doesnt start till couple hundred years back. Those living in United states are still too young
ROTFL

You have no clue what you are rambling on about.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,743,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'm not so sure about that. My ancestors have lived in the same part of Maryland since the 1780. I have had no admixture with anyone outside the county since one set of great-great grandparents moved here from Scotland in the 1880s, and only modest admixture with post independence immigrants (all German or British save one Jewish man) before that.

Ancestry is able to place me in the "Settlers of the Potomac Valley" group and the center of the circle they draw for the region is centered pretty much where I am sitting right now......the same place one of my ancestors had his farm in the late 18th century. 200+ years is plenty of time for a group of people to not only accumulate a unique set of DNA markers, picked up by tests like this, but also to self-ID as a group of people who share a common heritage among themselves, the start of ethno-genesis.
The Genetic Communities are determined differently than the ethnicity percentages. Genetic Communities are established by looking at the DNA of your matches and your matches matches, so naturally you all share DNA. That doesn't mean Americans have developed a unique set of DNA markers. If we had, there would be an "American" ethnicity category (differing from Native American, of course) and there isn't.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The Genetic Communities are determined differently than the ethnicity percentages. Genetic Communities are established by looking at the DNA of your matches and your matches matches, so naturally you all share DNA. That doesn't mean Americans have developed a unique set of DNA markers. If we had, there would be an "American" ethnicity category (differing from Native American, of course) and there isn't.
You're right for most Americans, and most American regions. Not so where I live. I mean, I give a DNA sample, and the service says "Your ancestors in America lived here," and draws a circle right around where I am sitting. It isn't a parlor trick.

My region has a strong founder effect, and only modest admix since then. Sure, lots of those cousins have moved on, but many have stayed. My grandparents were distant cousins, my parents were distant cousins. For me personally, Ancestry did a much better job figuring out my American heritage story than it did with my European ethnicity percentages, and it is because my cousins and I share DNA markers that pin us to a very specific place in America, it is pretty cool.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You're right for most Americans, and most American regions. Not so where I live. I mean, I give a DNA sample, and the service says "Your ancestors in America lived here," and draws a circle right around where I am sitting. It isn't a parlor trick.
You're completely missing the point. Brownbagg was talking about ethnicity percentages. You're talking about Genetic Communities. They are calculated differently. They are different things, yet you are applying how Genetic Communities are determined to how ethnicity percentages are determined.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 PM

360 posts, read 369,444 times
Zero

Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You're completely missing the point. Brownbagg was talking about ethnicity percentages. You're talking about Genetic Communities. They are calculated differently. They are different things, yet you are applying how Genetic Communities are determined to how ethnicity percentages are determined.
The point is my spit can tell you where I live, and where all of my ancestors have lived for over 130 years, most going back a century before that.

Call it "ethnicy" call it "Genetic Community" call it strawberry ice cream if you want. The point is my DNA, and that of my cousins, is traceable to about a 1,200sq mile region on this continent with a high degree of certaintity. The idea that Americans haven't been here long enough to ID specific gene markers with specific communities isn't true for all us.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:38 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,898,712 times
12% Chinese 25%-30 European 60-70% African

Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,332,503 times
i bought this book from ancestry couple years ago, on my family surname. It said i was from here, they had this job, they was this and they was that.

the book was 100% wrong for my family, but they was pulling the genectic community I guess. or it was a palor trick

Old 11-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
i bought this book from ancestry couple years ago, on my family surname. It said i was from here, they had this job, they was this and they was that.

the book was 100% wrong for my family, but they was pulling the genectic community I guess. or it was a palor trick
Genetic Communities haven't been around that long and Ancestry have never produced books based on Genetic Communities. It sounds like it's a generic surname origins, nothing to do with DNA, and as far as I know, Ancestry have never produced those. You are mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy