U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM

9,810 posts, read 20,699,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
OP, I would do the 23andMe test. Again, not many men will adopt a male child for the hell of it and give him the Jr title. Even more interesting is this adoption info was found unintentionally, as if it wasn't meant to be known.

I think that a hit on your husband's paternal haplgroup will produce useful info.

Good luck to you.
I've been advocating for adoptees over 10 years. There are many adopted male children that were given their adopted fathers name to make them a Jr. All it did was made the name go on, not the genes. They didn't tell about the adoption because some parents choose not to tell they were infertile.

We don't even know what year this was, I think the poor farmer taking in a kid to help is what happened.

I know of one adoption where the adoptee actually did have the same 1st name as the adoptive father, the adoptive father hated his name so gave his son a different name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,821,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
there were already 3 other kids in the family that adopted him. And they were poor farmers, so not sure why they adopted him.

With such limited information, where do we start?? Should we subscribe to ancestry.com? Completely new at this and would really love to get some information! Thanks for any suggestions.
Unless I've missed a post, it seems the OP hasn't stated when or where her husband's father was born but if he was born in NY and adopted by farmers before 1929, he may have been part of the Orphan Train movement:

The Orphan Trains | The Children's Aid Society

this site might also be of interest:

Guide to the Records of the Children's Aid Society 1836-2006 (bulk 1853-1947) *MS 111

Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM

148 posts, read 92,297 times
Wow, thanks for so many responses! Lot's of good information as I know nothing about DNA testing, etc. My father in law was adopted into a family that had 2 girls and a boy. So he was not the first boy. And yet he was named a Jr. So strange. Also, I absolutely believe it had to be a family member. I am unclear about how DNA testing will help. I must be missing something here. How can that lead me to actual names? When you do DNA tests do they give you names of people with the same match? Is that even possible? I hope to try and really get into this in the near future. I will give updates.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Were the older siblings all girls?
Two girls and one boy. So there was already a son. Yet he was adopted and named a Jr.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I am not the OP but this is a useful question. OP stated that no siblings are available after reading the post again.

My next thought would be again, the male child of a male sibling if one ever existed. Then perhaps the female child of such a person?

My gut is telling me that this is likely an in-family adoption of some sort. I hope that OP comes back and gives us more info.

OP, I would test with 23andMe and then upload to Gedmatch, WeGene, FTDNA, and MyHeritage if free uploads are still available. I don't have a lot of experience with Ancestry outside of it contains my extensive family tree. A DNA cousin is in the process of doing Ancestry right now and I will take his recommendations on moving there with testing, based on his experience.
Thank you for this information! I hope to get into this in the near future.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
OP, I would do the 23andMe test. Again, not many men will adopt a male child for the hell of it and give him the Jr title. Even more interesting is this adoption info was found unintentionally, as if it wasn't meant to be known.

I think that a hit on your husband's paternal haplgroup will produce useful info.

Good luck to you.
My husband's brother overheard at a funeral of a grandparent that their father was adopted. He shared that with some of his friends. My husband and I were at a party with some of those friends and we were talking about children and one of them made the comment about my husband's father being adopted. My husband was stunned. He called his brother and he confirmed it. Then we went straight to his mom and dad's house and confronted them. It was like "no big deal, why would we have told you" attitude. It was obvious he did not want to talk about it. I am going to talk to his brother and see if he doesn't have more information.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
My husband's brother overheard at a funeral of a grandparent that their father was adopted. He shared that with some of his friends. My husband and I were at a party with some of those friends and we were talking about children and one of them made the comment about my husband's father being adopted. My husband was stunned. He called his brother and he confirmed it. Then we went straight to his mom and dad's house and confronted them. It was like "no big deal, why would we have told you" attitude. It was obvious he did not want to talk about it. I am going to talk to his brother and see if he doesn't have more information.
Ouch.

That is such interesting talk for a funeral. Probably some interesting family dynamics here, too.

I'm sorry, I know that had to hurt. And yes, I can see why it appears that the info was being withheld intentionally. I hope you get more answers and please, do DNA testing wherever you please. I cannot tell you to test at Ancestry when I haven't tested their myself. I have functional knowledge of how it works there and that's about it.

I used 23andMe YEARS ago and have no complaints at this moment. To be honest, since there is missing genetic info I would chose 23andMe for the health reports alone.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM

2,770 posts, read 4,088,220 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for so many responses! Lot's of good information as I know nothing about DNA testing, etc. My father in law was adopted into a family that had 2 girls and a boy. So he was not the first boy. And yet he was named a Jr. So strange. Also, I absolutely believe it had to be a family member. I am unclear about how DNA testing will help. I must be missing something here. How can that lead me to actual names? When you do DNA tests do they give you names of people with the same match? Is that even possible? I hope to try and really get into this in the near future. I will give updates.

My cousin and I tested with Family Tree DNA.

After your DNA test is completed than you can log in with your kit number and password and see the names of everyone with whom you match within the Family Tree DNA database.

Of course, this only includes other people that have tested with that one specific company.

Some people test with several different companies to find matching relatives.

DNA testing may answer your questions, but it also may give you more new questions than answers. DNA is just one research tool among many.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
My cousin and I tested with Family Tree DNA.

After your DNA test is completed than you can log in with your kit number and password and see the names of everyone with whom you match within the Family Tree DNA database.

Of course, this only includes other people that have tested with that one specific company.

Some people test with several different companies to find matching relatives.

DNA testing may answer your questions, but it also may give you more new questions than answers. DNA is just one research tool among many.
I agree that this could open more questions than answers. But in this case, I still feel that this is an in-family adoption. That is MY feeling. I hope that OP follows through with this.

Because DNA testing was so new within the last few years, companies are offering free uploads. And even tests. OP can do Genes For Good for free as far as I know.

To me, I don't think that there is an answer to which test. TO.TEST. is a better answer, For people who want to know.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM

2,770 posts, read 4,088,220 times
Quote:
I agree that this could open more questions than answers. But in this case, I still feel that this is an in-family adoption. That is MY feeling. I hope that OP follows through with this.

Because DNA testing was so new within the last few years, companies are offering free uploads. And even tests. OP can do Genes For Good for free as far as I know.

To me, I don't think that there is an answer to which test. TO.TEST. is a better answer, For people who want to know.

I agree. Hope OP will let us know if they do the DNA testing, or get answers another way.

We all want to know the answer to this mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or