U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,158,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
I dont use Family Search as its owned by the LDS and its editable by anyone i wish there was a thing like Ancestry and Family Search but free and non editable except for you and people you allow

There is.

It is called family research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But this cannot happen on ancestry.com.

If you have a FS tree, you should put your relatives on watch and just delete information that may pop up from other users.

I am black and had someone put a picture of a white man, with the same name, attached to my great great uncle on my FS tree in the past few months. I knew my uncle, he died around 10 years and I knew him all my life so I know who his wife is who his children are, and that he wasn't white lol.

The person attached the picture of a man with the same name as my uncle, they also attached a new white wife and new white children and even attached sources from FS for these people onto my uncle's profile.

Technically though they didn't "take" my great uncle! They just added things to a profile online. I contacted them and told them they made a mistake and that I was deleting all that information, which I did (I will admit it was a PITA to do, especially since they added new children and sources). But it was done within 30 minutes and now I have this uncle on my watch list to make sure he is not changed again. The person who added all that information apologized to me via message. I understand that oftentimes people don't look/read thoroughly the genealogical information they find online. They feel since it is the same name/same birthdate (which was the case for my uncle, their relative also was a WW2 vet, as was my uncle) that it is probably the same person and they just link it up. I think everyone has done this one or twice.
I've only looked on that site a few times, but what I saw matched what I saw on other sites until I looked up Mom. First off, her middle name was wrong. Her fathers name was spelled wrong. Mom and dad's marriage was said to be in L.A. They were married in Panama as Dad was stationed there before the war. There were several other blatent errors, things if they checked and compared all the other places I've looked they were right. I fixed it and added a note to look on Ancestry for family information as theirs could be faulty. Haven't looked since, but they likely deleted it.

I like Ancestry since they provide access to a good number of places you can search online. I've found out a lot more information about some of the lesser known parts of my family by trying a variety of sources, and being able to compare. And it was in their sources that I found the court record for my maybe 12th g grandfather when he and his brother were sent to the colonies as indentured labor which confirmed Mom's saying they were from Maryland. I remember Mom saying she didn't know of any other family there.

I'd never had anything connect with that before, and until college, their existance was never mentioned in history class.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:38 AM

574 posts, read 217,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
[/b]
There is.

It is called family research.
Has to be online through i dont have much info offline and most website charge or allow other people to edit

Old 07-28-2017, 07:57 AM

893 posts, read 1,267,249 times
Here's an interesting thing where wrong information is produced by the INDEXING on Ancestry! Of course all the totally insane entries where page upon page of City Directories don't even have any resemblance to the names. Keep that in mind when using City Directories and go to one which is correct and then change the year to see if your relative is in that year/just indexed wrong. It's tedious but kind of fun. I have gotten great information doing that.

But the best INDEXing error was when I happened to see the "life story" version of a relative I had put on my tree. And I wondered why it was showing a photo of a flooding of the Ganges River...............in India.............ummm, I went back to my profile page on him. They interpreted the IND in an address as India; instead of Kokomo, Indiana............funniest thing I had ever seen.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:30 AM

3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Quote:
Has to be online through i dont have much info offline and most website charge or allow other people to edit
I sort of use FindAGrave as a tool for making trees. This only works because I have been able to get possession of the memorials for my more immediate family. I like to write biographies for my people I research. I state the facts and include parents and children. I try to include any family lore or news articles or anything else of personal interest I find. I don't always include my documentation if it is something easy to research. I'll include sources if I'm getting information from books, newspapers or family lore. I'm finding that my FindAGrave info gets worked into the trees. I haven't had anyone contest anything I've written yet. At least if people are going to copy, they are getting correct info.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM

14,411 posts, read 7,103,336 times
Quote:
You don't have to do genealogical research online. You can do it the old fashioned way if you like by perusing the information held at vital statistics/archive offices and historical societies.

I've come to a point in my own research that I don't often find much (especially about direct ancestors) on either FS or ancestry. I write a lot via email to county/state archival offices for information. A lot of it is not on either of those websites anyway. However, for our county archives for marriage, death, and birth records, our local vital statistics office will refer you to either FS or ancestry or tell you to go to our library to get that information. They don't help with those things since they've put them out there for free.

Also some states, like PA partner with ancestry.com and they allow free access to users in PA. I'll be honest and admit that I used my cousin's zip code in PA to gain access to those records for free a couple years ago lol. Unfortunately, they didn't have what I was looking for and I still had to contact Chester County archives to send me the info I needed. They only had index information on ancestry.com and not the actual record, which is housed only at the archives in Chester County. There is a fee for this sort of service, or you can visit and look at it your self. Most of my vacations now a days center around researching and visitng archives and historical societies.

I'm going to DC for an end of the year summer trip and will make a pit stop at the national archives for some civil war pension application files.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:04 PM

8,226 posts, read 12,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The answer appears to be yes. I just googled and found this: FamilySearch Wiki: Dispute resolution
That's for the wiki, not the trees.

Quote:
The reality is that no one can control everywhere on the internet what others choose to show on their family tree, even if it is absolute rubbish.
Which is why I don't try to - my tree is private, I share it with other experienced researchers for collaborative work, and I generally don't worry about or try to correct anyone else's tree. I understand the frustration with it, but I generally don't let myself get frustrated by it. However, if I had my tree in a universal place like FamilySearch or WikiTree then I would probably get frustrated by it. Instead, I stick to working with trusted researchers.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is what I took from that poster - that someone changed his/her tree on ancestry. Unless they gave them permission, that cannot happen. They stated he was "taken" and "given" another wife and children. That shouldn't happen on ancestry but it can happen on FS.
I took "taken" to mean someone took the info from that person's tree and added it to their own, where it was then "given" the wrong additional info. I think you're just misinterpreting the terminology used.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I dont use Family Search as its owned by the LDS and its editable by anyone i wish there was a thing like Ancestry and Family Search but free and non editable except for you and people you allow
Well, Ancestry's tree is free - you can build a tree there for free and no one can edit it except the people you allow. It's just the majority of records there that aren't free. At FamilySearch, the tree builder is free, but anyone can edit it. However, they do have a great records database available for free. I use and would recommend both as a records resource, but my tree is only on Ancestry.

I don't see anything wrong with LDS owning FamilySearch - as everything there is free, they are not making any money off it, so they are not benefiting from it.

Quote:
You mean your tree has to be online? Why is that? There are plenty of family tree programs for your computer - they are arguably better for tree management than an online tree is. The best ones aren't free, of course, but some good ones have free versions with more limited features. You can still do all your research online, if that's what you prefer. I have Family Tree Maker, RootsMagic, and Legacy - and I've used Family Tree Builder in the past. I think RootsMagic and Legacy have free versions. Family Tree Builder is free, but if you plan to upload to MyHeritage (it's maker), your tree is limited to 250 people online.

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. You can't expect everything for free.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've only looked on that site a few times, but what I saw matched what I saw on other sites until I looked up Mom. First off, her middle name was wrong. Her fathers name was spelled wrong. Mom and dad's marriage was said to be in L.A. They were married in Panama as Dad was stationed there before the war. There were several other blatent errors, things if they checked and compared all the other places I've looked they were right. I fixed it and added a note to look on Ancestry for family information as theirs could be faulty. Haven't looked since, but they likely deleted it.

I like Ancestry since they provide access to a good number of places you can search online. I've found out a lot more information about some of the lesser known parts of my family by trying a variety of sources, and being able to compare. And it was in their sources that I found the court record for my maybe 12th g grandfather when he and his brother were sent to the colonies as indentured labor which confirmed Mom's saying they were from Maryland. I remember Mom saying she didn't know of any other family there.

I'd never had anything connect with that before, and until college, their existance was never mentioned in history class.
If you were looking at trees, that happens everywhere. Anyplace that hosts family trees is going to have trees with errors. It's not specific to FamilySearch, it's not specific to Ancestry, or anywhere else.

If you were looking at records, errors also happen all the time on original documentation, but that's not the website's fault - they are not responsible for the enumerator or informant's errors on the original documents. It's just a part of genealogy.

If what you're seeing is a transcription error - then yeah, you could blame the indexers for that website. But this too is just a part of genealogy. All indexers are human and bound to make mistakes, on any website. It is not specific to FamilySearch or Ancestry or any other site.

If any of these things really bother you that much, genealogy is probably not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or