U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM

360 posts, read 219,602 times

Advertisements

Living DNA seems the most accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Having more of a break down doesn't mean they are more accurate. The more specific the results are the more speculative they are, and most reviews of LivingDNA say they overestimate British results.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 AM

360 posts, read 219,602 times
Thanks for the informations

Old 03-13-2018, 05:04 PM

71 posts, read 24,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Thank you for the info.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 PM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
I don't suggest 23 and me right now if you're interested in uploading to My Heritage and GEDmatch for free ethnicity and family matching and FTDNA for free family matching. They changed their chip, you can only upload to GEDmatch Genesis. Ancestry's new chip at least has an online work around

Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM

71 posts, read 24,656 times
I was just curious about my heritage. I took a DNA test years ago and now I wanted to take it another time with a different company to figure if the results are similar.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltabc View Post
I was just curious about my heritage. I took a DNA test years ago and now I wanted to take it another time with a different company to figure if the results are similar.
Use ancestry then see my pinned thread Family tree and DNA general instructions

Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't suggest 23 and me right now if you're interested in uploading to My Heritage and GEDmatch for free ethnicity and family matching and FTDNA for free family matching. They changed their chip, you can only upload to GEDmatch Genesis. Ancestry's new chip at least has an online work around
The work around for AncestryDNA has nothing to do with their chip, it's because they changed the file format of the download. AncestryDNA are on chip V2, and FTDNA, Gedmatch, etc all accept AncestryDNA V2 (my dad tested on V2 and I had no problems uploading his results to these outlets because it was before Ancestry changed the file format). The work around simply rearranges the raw data into the proper positions in the spreadsheet - this isn't possible with a new chip because there is new data and missing data that the company has to adjust for - no third party work around is possible for it, it's in the hands of the company you're upload to.

It's true 23andMe are on a new chip that most outlets haven't updated to accept yet, but they mostly likely will in the near future because they always have in the past. So I would only recommend not testing with 23andMe if you don't want to wait to be able to do this.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The work around for AncestryDNA has nothing to do with their chip, it's because they changed the file format of the download. AncestryDNA are on chip V2, and FTDNA, Gedmatch, etc all accept AncestryDNA V2 (my dad tested on V2 and I had no problems uploading his results to these outlets because it was before Ancestry changed the file format). The work around simply rearranges the raw data into the proper positions in the spreadsheet - this isn't possible with a new chip because there is new data and missing data that the company has to adjust for - no third party work around is possible for it, it's in the hands of the company you're upload to.

It's true 23andMe are on a new chip that most outlets haven't updated to accept yet, but they mostly likely will in the near future because they always have in the past. So I would only recommend not testing with 23andMe if you don't want to wait to be able to do this.
Thanks for explaining better. I was in my cell that has keyboard issues.

I was on FTDNA's forums, it seems some have issues uploading there with newer ancestry files so someone made a 3rd party app that fixes the lines of data. I mentioned it in case someone reading has the issue. Some have redownload the raw file and had no issues

Old 03-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for explaining better. I was in my cell that has keyboard issues.

I was on FTDNA's forums, it seems some have issues uploading there with newer ancestry files so someone made a 3rd party app that fixes the lines of data. I mentioned it in case someone reading has the issue. Some have redownload the raw file and had no issues
The work around I know of is found here: Mapmy23 Tool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy