Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

This is extremely interesting to me particularly since my Y-DNA direct paternal line is M-319 the same haplogroup of 2/3 of the Minoans tested. An FMS mtDNA for one of the M-319 Minoans is H131a which appears to have spread from eastern Anatolia/Caucasus. The Minoan samples are estimated approximately at 4,000YBP.

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/2017...nd-mycenaeans/

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture23310.html

Last edited by AFP; 08-11-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Yup very interesting, even more is the amateur community digging into it more, some good samples provided that will provide further insights as time goes on.

Eurogenes Blog: Steppe admixture in Mycenaeans, lots of Caucasus admixture already in Minoans (Lazaridis et al. 2017)

Quote:
Over at Nature at this LINK. Why is the presence of steppe admixture in Mycenaeans important? And why does it matter if the Minoans already had a lot of ancestry from the Caucasus or surrounds? Because Mycenaeans were Indo-Europeans and Minoans weren't. I'm still reading the paper and will update this entry regularly over the next few days.

Update 03/08/2017: This is my own Principal Component Analysis (PCA) of the Minoan and Mycenaean samples, which are freely available at the Reich Lab website here. The Armenian angle for the eastern admixture in Mycenaeans looks forced. The trajectory of this admixture obviously runs from Northern or Eastern Europe to the Minoans. If it did arrive from Armenia, then realistically only via a heavily steppe-admixed population. Right click and open in a new tab to enlarge:

Update 05/08/2017: Much like Lazaridis et al., I ran a series to qpAdm analyses to find the best mixture model for the Mycenaeans. However, just to see what would happen, unlike Lazaridis et al., I didn't group any of the archaeological populations into larger clusters based on their genetic affinities. The three models below stood out from the rest in terms of their statistical fits.

So it's essentially the same outcome as the one obtained by Lazaridis et al., because Sintashta and Srubnaya are part of their Steppe_MLBA cluster, while Corded Ware is part of their Europe_LNBA cluster, and it's these clusters that, along with Minoan_Lasithi, provided their most successful mixture models for the Mycenaeans. But it's nice to see Sintashta at the top of my results, because it fits so well with the long postulated archaeological links between Sintashta and the Mycenaeans (for instance, see here).

Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Yup very interesting, even more is the amateur community digging into it more, some good samples provided that will provide further insights as time goes on.

Eurogenes Blog: Steppe admixture in Mycenaeans, lots of Caucasus admixture already in Minoans (Lazaridis et al. 2017)
Thanks I hadn't seen that. Here is my details on the study. It's in English.

Загрузка статьи

Old 08-13-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Thanks I hadn't seen that. Here is my details on the study. It's in English.

Загрузка статьи
See page 16 of the study for the haplogroup results.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
The Minoans were the hub of a wide-spread trading network. They likely originally migrated from Anatolia/Near East as part of the dissemination of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent.

The Mycenaeans were a hybrid Indo-European/Old European population (with the Indo-Europeans the ruling group and the Old Europeans ("Pelasgians") the peasantry.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Minoans were the hub of a wide-spread trading network. They likely originally migrated from Anatolia/Near East as part of the dissemination of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent.

The Mycenaeans were a hybrid Indo-European/Old European population (with the Indo-Europeans the ruling group and the Old Europeans ("Pelasgians") the peasantry.

I agree but in addition there is a Caucasus/Iranian component.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I agree but in addition there is a Caucasus/Iranian component.
The Caucasus is not that far from the upper Tigris and Euphrates and eastern Anatolia. The Minoans likely trace back to more than just one group. Farmers migrated often because of overpopulation, drought, or because they had exhausted their fields. The Caucasians and Iranians (Elamites) might have served as troops or mercenaries in the Akkadian Empire, which spread all the way to current Syria and Lebanon.

Or the earlier, they could have been traders, with the cultural influence of Mesopotamia/Sumeria spreading to the Mediterranean and Egypt (and possibly Crete). Genes can be traded just like goods.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Interesting article on the Mitochondrial DNA of the Minoans

Quoted from article "A new study reported in the journal Nature Communications indicates that the Minoans, who 5,000 years ago established the first advanced Bronze Age civilization in present-day Crete, probably were descendents of the first Neolithic humans to reach the island around 7,000 BC and that they have the greatest genetic similarity with modern European populations." End Quote

Mitochondrial DNA Study Reveals Origins of Minoan Civilization | Archaeology, Genetics | Sci-News.com

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2871

Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 PM

The similarity was because the first Minoans were part of the overall migration of farmers from the Near East into Europe, absorbing the pre-existing low-density population of hunter-gatherers. Later migrations formed overlays, over a largely unchanged majority "Pelasgic" population, displacing language, customs, and religion, but genes much less so.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The similarity was because the first Minoans were part of the overall migration of farmers from the Near East into Europe, absorbing the pre-existing low-density population of hunter-gatherers. Later migrations formed overlays, over a largely unchanged majority "Pelasgic" population, displacing language, customs, and religion, but genes much less so.
Exactly this study discusses that in detail.

Early farmers from across Europe directly descended from Neolithic Aegeans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy