U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM

20,189 posts, read 24,730,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OH Now I see. I got my raw data uploaded to GedMatch. I have a kit #. I got a long list of emails and other data. And now I have to go back to Familysearch.com and ask them to send my family tree to Gedmatch. Right? OK, I am proceeding. Thank you for your help.
Doing it from Family Search may be a problem. I do not think you can create a gedcom there. You can upload one, but not download. I do not have a tree there, so some who is more familiar with Family Search will have to help you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:49 PM

8,446 posts, read 19,599,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I don't understand what you mean about your raw data not coming with a .com address. That data is not a URL, it's a file, and GEDmatch tells you exactly how to upload it. Log in to GEDmatch, go to File Uploads, and click "23andMe fast & easy", then follow the prompts. You will need to give 23AndMe permission to allow GEDmatch to access your data.

In order for GEDmatch to compare family trees you have to upload your own tree by creating a file called a gedcom. The genealogy software you use has a feature allowing you to do that. The more complete your tree is, the better. Follow the directions with your program. Once your tree is uploaded to GEDmatch (follow the directions thereyou can ask it to compare your tree to others. If you want to compare to a specific person you ask that person for his gedcom number. You can also compare to the entire database, but that will generate a lot of matches.

You are looking for matches who have more information on a particular ancestor than you do. In your case, you are looking for other descendants of your three times great grandfather born in 1827. When I first started looking at my family tree I found two third cousins, one at Ancestry.com and one on a message board, who were deep into genealogy and provided me with reams of information on two branches of my tree. DNA can help you find such people, too.

Unless all of your ancestors are very recent immigrants to the US or they left few descendants (my DH's ancestors had surprisingly small families whose descendants are apparently not interested in genealogy) you probably will have matches. The number will vary, depending on how many people with whom you share ancestors get DNA testing.
Thanks for helping. I didn't know what she did wrong but I knew she didn't follow the directions to download her raw data.

I didn't realize GEDmatch accepts GEDcom files. I haven't used the site much, will have to look at it next time I work on my tree; just haven't had time.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The way to break down brick walls with DNA matches is to find matches who descend from a potential ancestor of your brick wall ancestor, and matches who descend from the brick wall ancestor and triangulate them. So for example, let's say your brick wall is John Smith b. 1827. You find a DNA match who is descended from an Abraham Smith b. 1800 in the same area, but by a different child (not John Smith). Then go looking for other DNA matches who also have John Smith, Abraham Smith, or ancestors of Abraham Smith in their trees and triangulate them to make sure many of you match on the same segments. Of course, the surname Smith so common, it may not be possible (too much risk of coincidence) but I'm just using that as an example.

I hate to say this, but this is more difficult to achieve on 23andMe because they no longer support family trees. Without trees, it's much more difficult to find enough matches with the necessary people in their tree to make this work. Gedmatch supports gedcom uploads, but many people don't upload them. You'd probably have the best luck with FamilyTreeDNA - you can upload your 23andMe raw data there for free, or for $19 to unlock your full results. It's more user friendly than gedmatch.
Thanks for helping

I use family search but never uploaded my GEDcom. I did look to see if I could download one from there but have not seen that option.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 AM

34 posts, read 14,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I hate to say this, but this is more difficult to achieve on 23andMe because they no longer support family trees. Without trees, it's much more difficult to find enough matches with the necessary people in their tree to make this work. Gedmatch supports gedcom uploads, but many people don't upload them. You'd probably have the best luck with FamilyTreeDNA - you can upload your 23andMe raw data there for free, or for $19 to unlock your full results. It's more user friendly than gedmatch.
Interesting. My experience with FamilyTreeDNA hasn't been very good at all. Not that many close DNA matches and hardly any match has a tree to view. Those who do have limited trees with no useful data.

I have had much better success with Ancestry.com, especially over the past few months. I now have 7 or 8 second cousin matches. Many more 3rd cousins. Many matches have extensive family trees on the service - hundreds and sometimes thousands of people in their tree.

The great thing (for me) about Ancestry is that once you have a name and basic info, you can access various records. Those records open doors to match other people and so on.

23andMe (for me) has been a waste. They have some nice "health reports" but I find them useless when trying to find DNA relatives.

I do find the process very frustrating. I have reached out to many of my closest matches on these services, asking if they would be willing to share family surnames or allow me access to their "private" tree online. Even though you can see these people logged in and have probably read your message, they never respond. I don't understand why people do a DNA test, create a tree online and then ignore the people who show up as a close match. Odd.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joef279 View Post
Interesting. My experience with FamilyTreeDNA hasn't been very good at all. Not that many close DNA matches and hardly any match has a tree to view. Those who do have limited trees with no useful data.

I have had much better success with Ancestry.com, especially over the past few months. I now have 7 or 8 second cousin matches. Many more 3rd cousins. Many matches have extensive family trees on the service - hundreds and sometimes thousands of people in their tree.

The great thing (for me) about Ancestry is that once you have a name and basic info, you can access various records. Those records open doors to match other people and so on.

23andMe (for me) has been a waste. They have some nice "health reports" but I find them useless when trying to find DNA relatives.

I do find the process very frustrating. I have reached out to many of my closest matches on these services, asking if they would be willing to share family surnames or allow me access to their "private" tree online. Even though you can see these people logged in and have probably read your message, they never respond. I don't understand why people do a DNA test, create a tree online and then ignore the people who show up as a close match. Odd.
My son's grandmothers nephew hasn't answered me. I see he logs in. I think he's on a tablet app where he doesn't see messages

Old 08-28-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for helping

I use family search but never uploaded my GEDcom. I did look to see if I could download one from there but have not seen that option.
Wanted to address this - You can upload one but can't download one from Family Search.

Creating a GEDCOM file

How can I create a GEDCOM file?

You can use third-party genealogy software programs to create a GEDCOM file. For more details on third-party software programs, go to https://familysearch.org/apps. Please refer to information from the specific software vendor regarding how to create a GEDCOM file.

You can upload a GEDCOM file to Family Tree on FamilySearch.org. For details, see Uploading GEDCOM files and copying the information to Family Tree (61144).

You cannot create a GEDCOM file directly from data you find on FamilySearch.org.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM

5,675 posts, read 8,033,937 times
Well no wonder I am having such frustration with my 23 and me ! guess I need to join Ancestry to get anywhere with this. Have delayed doing this for years because I usually go to the library to use it. But for DNA matches, I would not want to do this.Thank you to all !

Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 AM

7,919 posts, read 12,297,170 times
Quote:

I've had more success with AncestryDNA too - but PhxBarb tested with 23andMe and AncestryDNA doesn't accept uploads from other companies. So unless she wants to drop another $99 to test with AncestryDNA (and I don't like to assume people are up for that or can afford it), the next best option is probably FTDNA. I have had some success with FTDNA too though - and more importantly, unlike AncestryDNA, they have a chromosome browser, which is important for triangulating.

Additionally, I think you'll find that any company you test with is going to have a lot of matches with no trees, or tiny trees. Since Ancestry's big sales recently, I've noticed a huge increase in my matches with no trees. Also, don't dismiss trees that are tiny - if there's at least some names and dates, you can often research their tree from there to work back to your most recent common ancestor. I do this a lot and have had success with it.

Quote:
Yes, a good records resource is still important even when working with DNA.

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM

20,189 posts, read 24,730,695 times
Quote:
I have recently devised a system to use at FTDNA. Instead of just browsing the list of matches, I search for a particular surname and then browse that much shorter list. If it is one of my brick wall surnames and the tree at FTDNA is missing or inadequate, I send an email (and the response rate has been pretty good - much better than 23AndMe) asking if a more complete tree is available somewhere. Often the match has a tree at Ancestry.com. If the match has a tree at FTDNA I search for the name of interest within that tree. Sometimes I can get enough information to choose an individual in that tree and search for other trees at Ancestry.com. Occasionally the tree that turns up obviously belongs to the DNA match.

The FTDNA tree browser is terribly user unfriendly and FTDNA has been told about it and refuses to do anything. That is frustrating. I also have no idea why some folks think it is useful to create a tree that makes four generations private.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM

5,675 posts, read 8,033,937 times
I have another question: Do you have to be a member of Ancestry to do their DNA test? And if I put out the $99 for the test, does it give me any membership with Ancestry at all, or is that another $$$?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or