U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

21,848 posts, read 26,507,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I have another question: Do you have to be a member of Ancestry to do their DNA test? And if I put out the $99 for the test, does it give me any membership with Ancestry at all, or is that another $$$?
You do not have to subscribe to do the DNA test and doing the test does not automatically include a subscription. The DNA test is on sale for $79 right now.

https://www.ancestrydna.com/kits/?s_...d+Search+Brand

What you get with the test:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...090085520-3160
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 04:45 PM

5,907 posts, read 8,552,643 times
Suzy: Can I do the Ancestry test and then go to the library to use the information? Or would it block me? Maybe you don't know and I would have to ask the library. Just a thought. Trying to save money.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 PM

21,848 posts, read 26,507,833 times
Quote:
Suzy: Can I do the Ancestry test and then go to the library to use the information? Or would it block me? Maybe you don't know and I would have to ask the library. Just a thought. Trying to save money.
The biggest perk you miss by not having a subscription is access to other people's family trees, and I do not think you can do that at the library.

What you could do is wait until you have your DNA results and matches, then do a two week free trial at Ancestry.com. You can check out the trees for some of your matches and see whether it will be worth the cost to continue to subscribe. Choose a time for your free trial when you can spend a lot of time on the Ancestry site.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 20,402,851 times
From what I've seen, public trees can be seen from the library. I have not gone there yet but will once school starts.

I've been busy working various branches of my tree that I haven't needed my 2 week trial, I'm working my son's fathers side so he has history there. His grandmother is in her 80's so I'm doing whatever I can with her help. I just switched branches to her grandparents who she doesn't have much info for.

Next will be my daughters grandmother; then I'll worry about mine.

I'd say do your DNA 1at then see what matches you get.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM

8,324 posts, read 12,961,843 times
Quote:
You would not be able to access your DNA results from the Library Edition of Ancestry.com. If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can access your DNA results from anywhere with those though. I do this when I'm at the Family History Center and need to access my tree but can't with their computers - I just bring it up on my phone.

You can access Ancestry.com public trees from the Library Edition - you just can't contact private tree owners or get an invite to their tree.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:14 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,767,028 times
This post should really be pinned.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 PM

Here is a blog by PA2UK for anyone needing advice on which place to test with

Which DNA Test Should I Buy? A Comprehensive DNA Buying Guide

My Heritage has a lot of neat features they recently added. I'll post a link to their newest blog about it

Introducing the New DNA Match Review Page

Old 11-03-2017, 06:18 AM

bump

Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Bumping for newer members

Old 12-01-2017, 03:06 PM

5,721 posts, read 3,264,102 times
I submitted my Gedcom to Family Tree Maker about 20 years ago. My sources were all cited; Birth, Marriage, Death Certificates, Tombstone and Burial Records, US and British Census Records. Back in the 70's in order to get Certified, I had to appear before a Board of Directors and answer their questions on my sources and methods of genealogical research. My Mom's Cousin (Retired Judge) went to Italy and searched local Church Birth, Marriage and Death Records, as well as Tombstone Inscriptions overseas. I submitted his findings to my Gedcom also. That is also bona fide legal research.

My younger daughter did her Family Tree DNA. It totally confirmed all my paper trail research. The only surprise was that the DNA confirmed a family word of mouth tradition from my Maternal Grandma that her family originally migrated from Spain to Italy. My daughter's DNA came up with 4% from Iberia. I never found that but my research on Maternal lines back centuries was not as extensive. It is very difficult with women changing their surnames getting married. Far too many times these official records do not give women's maiden surnames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or