U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:22 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,526,579 times

Advertisements

Looks like it just needed some time to search. I now have a short list.

Stephen Amell - 8th cousins 2x removed, we apparently share the ancestor Jacob Gottschalk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_C._Gottschalk - I am definitely descended from Jacob Gottschalk but whether Stephen Amell is, I couldn't say. On a side note, I kind of hope I'm not related to Stephen Amell because that would mean I'm attracted to my cousin (good God, that man is sexy).

Britney Spears - 9th cousins, shared ancestor James Johnston. Supposedly James Johnston is the grandfather of my ancestor Samuel Ramsey, but I haven't been able to confirm Samuel's ancestry so this link is speculative.

Newt Gingrich - 7th cousins 1x removed - Elizabeth Jans, allegedly the mother of my ancestor Hendrick Hendricks but again, I haven't been able to confirm that.

Carrie Fisher - 9th cousins - Joseph Pleasants - allegedly the grandfather of my ancestor Martha Pleasants, but once again I haven't confirmed that.

Winston Churchill - 6th cousins 5x removed - John Hall, supposedly the ancestor of my ancestor Rosamond Hawkins, but again, unconfirmed (by me, anyway).

It's certainly interesting and it may help me dig deeper in the right directions to break down some brick walls but I wouldn't take any of it as certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 PM

933 posts, read 2,986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Looks like it just needed some time to search. I now have a short list.

Stephen Amell - 8th cousins 2x removed, we apparently share the ancestor Jacob Gottschalk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_C._Gottschalk - I am definitely descended from Jacob Gottschalk but whether Stephen Amell is, I couldn't say. On a side note, I kind of hope I'm not related to Stephen Amell because that would mean I'm attracted to my cousin (good God, that man is sexy).

Britney Spears - 9th cousins, shared ancestor James Johnston. Supposedly James Johnston is the grandfather of my ancestor Samuel Ramsey, but I haven't been able to confirm Samuel's ancestry so this link is speculative.

Newt Gingrich - 7th cousins 1x removed - Elizabeth Jans, allegedly the mother of my ancestor Hendrick Hendricks but again, I haven't been able to confirm that.

Carrie Fisher - 9th cousins - Joseph Pleasants - allegedly the grandfather of my ancestor Martha Pleasants, but once again I haven't confirmed that.

Winston Churchill - 6th cousins 5x removed - John Hall, supposedly the ancestor of my ancestor Rosamond Hawkins, but again, unconfirmed (by me, anyway).

It's certainly interesting and it may help me dig deeper in the right directions to break down some brick walls but I wouldn't take any of it as certainty.
We must be cousins because I'm related to the same people with the exception of Britney Spears (assuming the app is correct).

Stephen Amell - 9th cousin - common ancestor is Nicholas Erb 1680-1740

Newt Gingrich - 7th cousin 1x removed - common ancestor is Anna Margaretha Kieffer 1678-1730

Carrie Fisher - 8th cousin 1x removed - common ancestor is Maria Elizabeth Dentzer 1672-1744

Winston Churchhill - 8th cousin 1x removed - common ancestor is Susanna birth and death year not listed.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:30 AM

8,676 posts, read 19,838,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Dislike the FB connect. Reviews aren't great. I installed it; will see if it finds anyone. As far as I know I'm not related by blood to anyone famous; by marriage there's a soccer player named Goose and a baseball player Chuck Diering.
It hasn't found anyone for me. I added 2 more trees that I'm in, we'll see if it comes up with anything.

On the main tree screen all I'm seeing is myself, my parents, their parents and grand parents. I'm not seeing any of their offspring. Is that right?

Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM

816 posts, read 714,016 times
Really dislike how it's adding generations onto my ancestry via other trees. Many of them I've found are highly questionable (and even one had a parent born after their child, so clearly they are just cross referencing user trees).

It would be great if they just stopped checking at the end of my own tree.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,526,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Really dislike how it's adding generations onto my ancestry via other trees. Many of them I've found are highly questionable (and even one had a parent born after their child, so clearly they are just cross referencing user trees).

It would be great if they just stopped checking at the end of my own tree.
Even if they stopped at the end of your tree, it doesn't prevent errors in other people's trees that wrongly link the famous people to your own ancestor. Basing anything on family trees is always going to be speculative - it's just a bit of fun, and I wouldn't take it seriously, which is partly why I hadn't bothered until now, but curiosity got the better of me.

It does give you the option to thumbs up or thumbs up each path way so you can sort of report errors that way. That thumbs upped the path from me to Jacob Gottschalk because that's confirmed, but I did not give the thumbs up for the path from Stephen Amell to Jacob Gottschalk - I'd have to look into that.

It's added 3 more people for me. All unconfirmed.

Carrie Underwood, 9th cousins, shared ancestor is Sarah Biddle, allegedly the ancestor of my 5th great grandmother, Mary Campbell.

Mark Twain, 6th cousins 5x removed, shared ancestor is supposedly William Bourne, an ancestor of Rosamond Hawkins again.

Edgar Allen Poe - 6th cousins 6x removed - Mary Anthony, the alleged ancestor of yet again Rosamond Hawkins.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM

523 posts, read 161,483 times
How long do it take to get a leaf? I've added my parents, and grand parents, but don't see any new results.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:47 AM

816 posts, read 714,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Even if they stopped at the end of your tree, it doesn't prevent errors in other people's trees that wrongly link the famous people to your own ancestor. Basing anything on family trees is always going to be speculative - it's just a bit of fun, and I wouldn't take it seriously, which is partly why I hadn't bothered until now, but curiosity got the better of me.

It does give you the option to thumbs up or thumbs up each path way so you can sort of report errors that way. That thumbs upped the path from me to Jacob Gottschalk because that's confirmed, but I did not give the thumbs up for the path from Stephen Amell to Jacob Gottschalk - I'd have to look into that.

It's added 3 more people for me. All unconfirmed.

Carrie Underwood, 9th cousins, shared ancestor is Sarah Biddle, allegedly the ancestor of my 5th great grandmother, Mary Campbell.

Mark Twain, 6th cousins 5x removed, shared ancestor is supposedly William Bourne, an ancestor of Rosamond Hawkins again.

Edgar Allen Poe - 6th cousins 6x removed - Mary Anthony, the alleged ancestor of yet again Rosamond Hawkins.
True though ideally they would either build out famous peoples ancestry in a more verified way, or at least curate it to some extent (kind of like the famouskin website). Then they can just match ancestors in your tree to theirs. That's what I was hoping.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:40 PM

9,206 posts, read 17,736,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I just learned about this today. It's not on the actual Ancestry website, or on the regular Ancestry smartphone app. It's a separate free phone app called "We're Related."

John McCain is my 7th cousin, 4 times removed

Harry Reid is my 8th cousin, 2 times removed

John Brown was my 4th cousin, 6 times removed

Janis Joplin was my 9th cousin, once removed

Julia Child was my 8th cousin, 2 times removed

This is all on my mother's side, and they're all descended from a colonial Connecticut line I have. So far nothing on my Dad's side.

Who did you get?
So the app seems to want to slowly dole out cousins slowly, rather than give them all to you at once when you sign up. In addition to the above, I now also have:

Winston Churchill 7th cousin 3X removed
Calvin Coolidge 7th cousin 4x removed
Sam Walton 6th cousin 4X removed
Margaret Mead 6th cousin 5X removed
Ulysses S. Grant 6th cousin 6x removed
Humphrey Bogart 6th cousin 4x removed

Every couple days I get 1-3 more. I don't know what people are talking about regarding signing in via facebook. The app never made me do that. Mine just somehow found the regular Ancestry app I had on my phone and signed me in. However, the picture of my face it uses is oddly my facebook picture and not the picture I use on Ancestry. I little creepy, but I'm not going to lose sleep. I guess since I'm on an android phone with google, it pulled the pic from google-searching me.

Also, it doesn't seem to be adding anything unwanted to my tree like others are saying. When I click onto the generations between me and the common ancestor I share with the famous person, all those generations are actual people in my actual tree. I wonder if that's something the app will do later, once I'm on it for a while and it runs out of real connections? But so far, so good. However, I don't like the "stringing me along" thing. Why not just give me all the connections at once? Obviously all these famous people have been researched by genealogists, and their trees are in the database. I can't believe that the computers could find my 8th cousin 2X removed, Julia Child within minutes, but it took almost a week to find Winston Churchill my 7th cousin 3x removed.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
How long do it take to get a leaf? I've added my parents, and grand parents, but don't see any new results.
You probably have to have a much deeper Ancestry tree than just grandparents. Unless there is a famous person descended from your grandparents, then no, no one will show up.

But if you have a tree that goes back into the 1700s or 1600s, then there will definitely be descendants from your ancestors back then who happen to be famous people.

So far every connection it's given me is descended from someone my colonial Connecticut line.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post

Also, it doesn't seem to be adding anything unwanted to my tree like others are saying. When I click onto the generations between me and the common ancestor I share with the famous person, all those generations are actual people in my actual tree. I wonder if that's something the app will do later, once I'm on it for a while and it runs out of real connections? But so far, so good. However, I don't like the "stringing me along" thing. Why not just give me all the connections at once? Obviously all these famous people have been researched by genealogists, and their trees are in the database. I can't believe that the computers could find my 8th cousin 2X removed, Julia Child within minutes, but it took almost a week to find Winston Churchill my 7th cousin 3x removed.

Strike that. I now see that with Humphrey Bogart, it made a leap in my line, adding a father for my 6th great grandfather, who I do not have in my tree, and who died 10 years prior to my 6th great grandfather being born. That's either an error, or my 6th great grandfather gestated for over 10 years.

Well, crap, I want my money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or