U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 4,530,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Ultimately, they can't put the show on hold for two decades just to wait and see if other close relatives pop up.
Well, good gracious, DUH!

The point I'm trying to make is that more specific information may well be available in the future, so if I had been a participant on this show (which will most probably not exist in a few years, let alone a decade or two), in a decade or two I would choose to independently pursue further genealogical work with new DNA testing and compare the results.

And I would take the information shown on that episode with a MEGA HUGE GIGANTIC GRAIN OF SALT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:39 AM

2,399 posts, read 2,590,855 times
I agree, we should look at the family info shown quite cautiously, of course. If DNA testing was not available, neither of these 2 guests would have as many possibilities to work with (Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffman).

Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM

7,922 posts, read 12,306,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, good gracious, DUH!

The point I'm trying to make is that more specific information may well be available in the future, so if I had been a participant on this show (which will most probably not exist in a few years, let alone a decade or two), in a decade or two I would choose to independently pursue further genealogical work with new DNA testing and compare the results.

And I would take the information shown on that episode with a MEGA HUGE GIGANTIC GRAIN OF SALT!
But how exactly do you think there are going to be new relatives in the future who are more closely related than the ones they already tested? And if you think the testing itself may improve, then perhaps, but it's already very conclusive when it comes to close relatives. I'm not sure how much experience or knowledge you have of DNA testing but Leoni's mother's results with her half sibling were conclusive. What evidence do you have that it shouldn't be reliable, or that it should be taken with a "mega huge gigantic grain of salt"?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

13,518 posts, read 6,553,585 times
I found that show particularly fascinating with Gabby Hoffman and Tea Leoni. It is amazing what we can now discover with DNA research IMO.

I thought it strange that Tea's mother couldn't get her original birth certificate. I'd think that they'd let someone have the original record of their own birth. But I understand in adoption situations they want to protect the identity of the parents in that day and age. I'd think after a certain amount of time, they should let adoptees or the children of adoptees gain access to those records, maybe after 70-75 years like they do with census records.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:50 PM

7,922 posts, read 12,306,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I found that show particularly fascinating with Gabby Hoffman and Tea Leoni. It is amazing what we can now discover with DNA research IMO.

I thought it strange that Tea's mother couldn't get her original birth certificate. I'd think that they'd let someone have the original record of their own birth. But I understand in adoption situations they want to protect the identity of the parents in that day and age. I'd think after a certain amount of time, they should let adoptees or the children of adoptees gain access to those records, maybe after 70-75 years like they do with census records.
The records are sealed in a closed adoption, and that's very different from the records simply being private and not open to the public like census records for a time. Censuses don't really contain much sensitive information, whereas adoption records do. Even if they were unsealed after a certain amount of time (which can happen in some places/cases), they would still be private records. Adoptees can go to court to get the records unsealed but it's normally very difficult to do so and typically only possible in certain situations where the medical family history is very important.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM

9,205 posts, read 17,486,583 times
So is it just something local here, or is everyone else having the stupid PBS fund drive, causing you to miss the last two weeks of Finding Your Roots?
They get enough of our tax dollars already, and they still have to do this crap a couple times a year. Ugh.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 PM

4,496 posts, read 2,524,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
So is it just something local here, or is everyone else having the stupid PBS fund drive, causing you to miss the last two weeks of Finding Your Roots?
They get enough of our tax dollars already, and they still have to do this crap a couple times a year. Ugh.
Just getting reruns right now — series seems to have ended?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:01 PM

811 posts, read 688,986 times
Quote:
Here's their schedule

TV Schedule | Watch | Finding Your Roots

Following is the broadcast schedule for the new season on PBS:

Tues., Oct. 3, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Impression” with Larry David and Bernie Sanders
Tues., Oct. 10, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Unfamiliar Kin” with Fred Armisen, Carly Simon and Christopher Walken
Tues., Oct. 17, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Puritans and Pioneers” with Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen and William H. Macy
Tues., Oct. 24, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Vanguard” with Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ava DuVernay, Janet Mock
Tues., Oct. 31, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Immigrant Nation” with Scarlett Johansson, Paul Rudd and John Turturro
Tues., Nov. 7, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Black Like Me” with Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux
Tues., Nov. 14, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Children of the Revolution” with Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro
Tues., Nov. 21, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Relatives We Never Knew We Had” with Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffmann
Tues., Nov. 28, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Stories We Tell” with Donna Brazile, Ty Burrell and Kara Walker (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Family Reunions” with Sean Combs and LL Cool J (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 9 p.m. ET: “Tragedy + Time = Comedy” with Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear and Bill Hader (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 12, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Southern Roots” with Questlove, Dr. Phil and Charlayne Hunter-Gault
Tues., Dec. 19, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Funny Business” with Garrison Keillor, Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari

Looks like this last Tuesday were repeat broadcasts from Season Three. Looks like there are two new episodes left.

I know towards the end of the season they always start pushing more pledge things. Yeah it can get annoying but clearly they need the funding and I want the show to continue (as well as various other PBS offerings) so they have to get the money somehow.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM

9,205 posts, read 17,486,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Here's their schedule

TV Schedule | Watch | Finding Your Roots

Following is the broadcast schedule for the new season on PBS:

Tues., Oct. 3, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Impression” with Larry David and Bernie Sanders
Tues., Oct. 10, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Unfamiliar Kin” with Fred Armisen, Carly Simon and Christopher Walken
Tues., Oct. 17, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Puritans and Pioneers” with Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen and William H. Macy
Tues., Oct. 24, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Vanguard” with Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ava DuVernay, Janet Mock
Tues., Oct. 31, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Immigrant Nation” with Scarlett Johansson, Paul Rudd and John Turturro
Tues., Nov. 7, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Black Like Me” with Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux
Tues., Nov. 14, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Children of the Revolution” with Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro
Tues., Nov. 21, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Relatives We Never Knew We Had” with Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffmann
Tues., Nov. 28, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Stories We Tell” with Donna Brazile, Ty Burrell and Kara Walker (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Family Reunions” with Sean Combs and LL Cool J (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 9 p.m. ET: “Tragedy + Time = Comedy” with Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear and Bill Hader (encore broadcast from Season Three)
Tues., Dec. 12, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Southern Roots” with Questlove, Dr. Phil and Charlayne Hunter-Gault
Tues., Dec. 19, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Funny Business” with Garrison Keillor, Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari

Looks like this last Tuesday were repeat broadcasts from Season Three. Looks like there are two new episodes left.

I know towards the end of the season they always start pushing more pledge things. Yeah it can get annoying but clearly they need the funding and I want the show to continue (as well as various other PBS offerings) so they have to get the money somehow.
Thanks for the info. So I only missed re-runs and new ones come back this week. Sure, I want the series to continue but I don't believe in taxpayer dollars going to TV station or TV shows. This show has great sponsorship by Ancestry, plus all those private foundation donors that they list at the beginning of each show. I'd also be perfectly fine if they just had commercials.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 AM

811 posts, read 688,986 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So I only missed re-runs and new ones come back this week. Sure, I want the series to continue but I don't believe in taxpayer dollars going to TV station or TV shows. This show has great sponsorship by Ancestry, plus all those private foundation donors that they list at the beginning of each show. I'd also be perfectly fine if they just had commercials.
I'll avoid talking politics/modern tax policies and just respond to your complaint about the fund drive, that to me fund drives vs commercials are no different, fund drives are just commercials for your own network vs for other businesses that then give you money, maybe more efficient in some ways, but in the end I don't see it as any different. It's also hard to comment one what's enough without looking at actual numbers and compare them to other networks that produce similar content, I'd be surprised if PBS doesn't come in relatively underfunded compared to he comparisons even taking into account the different sources, but just a guess.

I'll also say I'm a huge fan of PBS and there are some genuinely great educational and information shows on PBS. If they offered more genealogy related ones I'd definitely donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy