U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times

Advertisements

I always wonder why this is so intriguing to people.

People get around today and they got around back then. Europeans made war on each other in one form or another for centuries, marching armies to and fro across the continent. You think the soldiers were chaste? You think the local girls were immune from falling for a handsome occupier?

People traded as well. Why would it hard to imagine a sailor frequenting a house of ill repute somewhere far away? Or again, taking a wife in a foreign land? Or, setting up shop far away for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 01:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,216,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

People get around today and they got around back then. Europeans made war on each other in one form or another for centuries, marching armies to and fro across the continent. You think the soldiers were chaste? You think the local girls were immune from falling for a handsome occupier?

People traded as well. Why would it hard to imagine a sailor frequenting a house of ill repute somewhere far away? Or again, taking a wife in a foreign land? Or, setting up shop far away for one reason or another.
Or leaving his DNA with an unwilling woman?

I've heard that a number of sailors from the Spanish Armada survived and wound up in Ireland. That would spread some Iberian genes around, right?

And aren't Vikings Scandinavian? I believe they cruised to England and other European areas.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:02 PM

26,831 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Ancestry says I have Iberian and my family tree says Italian.
They can both be true.
I have some of a LOT but I think it's how the more recent mixing plays out that counts most.

This is a 23&me graphic:
Attached Thumbnails
Is Iberian DNA common in English and German people?-admixture.png  

Old 10-30-2017, 02:34 PM

9,864 posts, read 8,000,104 times
What was the relevant reference sample? If the reference population was in the Basque Country, you'd expect it to peak there at close to 100%.

A second issue is whether this represents a measure of the Iberian segments in your genome i.e., an actual stretch of DNA inherited from an Iberian ancestor, or represents an average genetic distance from the Iberian reference population (see above)?

Don't lose any sleep over this. It's science.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM

15,676 posts, read 3,108,907 times
I am primarily Nordic with lots of dna from the British Isles and I am also German. but I have some iberian dna....I dont know if that comes from the Spanish Occupation of the Netherlands because i always heard we were black dutch and i actually am Dutch or whether it came from my family in New Mexico.I live in Texas and my family has lived here for many generations so it may of come from here in Texas but we are still trying to figure out where my Spaniard/iberian came from.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM

8,504 posts, read 2,387,119 times
Italian ancestors of mine probably came from Iberia after the Inquisition. Since that time, they spread their DNA far and wide - in fact, the Norwegians actually ran "our" town in Italy and built a castle there. So it makes sense that small %% of Iberian (including myself) show up in many of other Euro descent.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM

8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Apparently they get Italian mixed up with Iberian on ancestry. Ancestry says I have Iberian and my family tree says Italian.
That can happen with any company, it depends more on your particular DNA. I have Italian ancestry and at AncestryDNA, it comes up as Italy/Greece. No Iberian.

If you click on "see details" for each category, you'll get a lot more info. It says 25% of native Italians get results in Iberian.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 14 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,845,108 times
Probably in southern France more than anything. The Iberian are Celtic not Germanic.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 14 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,845,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I find it intriguing because I find culture, anthropology and ancestry interesting, however I don't find it surprising how so much mixing has gone on. Most of my ancestry from my DNA results is easily explained from what my family knows... except the Italian. Yet again my mom's maiden name, though of the Spanish language, is related to "Rome," meaning "from Rome." And my dad's mom's maiden name can double as Italian as well as Spanish and Portuguese. Also its important to distinguish ethnicity from nationality. For example someone can be like "my grandpa was born in Italy so I should have this much Italian DNA" but their grandpa could be from northern Italy and genetically be more German, or they can be from anywhere in Italy, but of Greek or Russian ancestry, for example. That's why they might be surprised to find more Russian than Italian, but he could have been an Italian of Russian descent. People always gotta consider that. Then there's always secret bastard children from affairs and adopted kids.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,913,065 times
People moved around much more than we think. Canterbury Tales is an interesting depiction of a pilgrimage but people were going to Santiago de Campostella in Spain from all over Europe. There were other pilgrimages to Rome or elsewhere. Marco Polo and his family were travelling merchants going from Venice up toward Crimea and eventually to China. They didn't go alone. Caravans were crossing North Africa. The Silk Road moved people and goods from China to Europe. None of this was warfare...a whole other mechanism for moving people (and DNA) around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or