U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Stupid question here.....So what's the point of having DNA done if it's still basically full of errors and wrong percentages?
The true value of the test is in the DNA matches. The ethnicity report is only an estimate and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it can be interesting to explore, and on a continental level, is usually accurate. It's mainly when you get into sub-continental regions that it becomes speculative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Who says the DNA test is wrong?
If anything it's gonna be far more reliable than the stories the grandmothers can/will tell.
Unfortunately, when it comes to the ethnicity report, that's not really true. Like I say, it's pretty accurate on a continental level, but people in neighboring regions typically share too much DNA to always be able to accurately tell them apart. You definitely should NOT take the ethnicity report literally.

Those percentages, if you must | The Legal Genealogist

Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,451,704 times
everybody always talks about german, norman, france, iberian, great britalnd heritage, but if you took all the names off the countries, you will notice there only couple hundred miles away from each other. Thats like baltimore and boston. new york and virginia

Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 AM

9,180 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
I tried the myfamilytree DNA and it says I'm 78% British and 19% southeast European. I think GED match was in agreement with ancestry DNA results. My family history seems to be in line with both ged match and ancestry.
Have you uploaded to My Heritage yet? It's free just like Family Tree DNA but they give ethnicity, surnames and family matching. My Heritage has been on a quest to test all over the world. I'm not sure how long they will allow the free uploads

Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,772,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
There is a lot of Iberian (specifically Basque) DNA in a lot of Irish people, and a lot of Irish DNA in a lot of Basque people. I'm not sure why this is the case (many theories) but there is a definite connection.
That's a fallacy.

The Basque get the highest amount of Iberian on 23andMe while the Irish get very high amounts of Ireland/Scotland/Wales on Ancestry and British & Irish on 23andMe. Just to explain it better Iberian peaks in the Basques whilst Ireland/Scotland/Wales peaks in the Irish.

Basques form their own cluster on dna plots whilst the Irish are Northwestern Europeans and cluster with populations from that area.

Just looking at Ancestry this is what they say about the Iberian category.

Primarily found in: Spain, Portugal; May also be found in: France, Morocco, Algeria, Italy

Ireland/Scotland/Wales is primarily found in Ireland, Scotland and Wales but also England and France.

Last edited by Bernie20; 11-07-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 AM

This is about the Welsh, not the Irish, but as studies continue, we could find it applies to the Celts in general:

What DNA might tell us of the history of Welsh people - Daily Post

"The last ice age covered the valleys and mountains with a thick blanket of ice and nothing, animal or plant, could survive in this polar landscape.

But once the ice melted about 11,000 years ago, the first pioneers came north. And some certainly came from what is now Spain. During the millennia of ice, people sheltered in what are known as the Ice Age Refuges, caves on either side of the Pyrenees.

The refuges began to empty as the ice melted and the herds people depended on moved north.

Already the CymruDNAWales project has discovered people, especially in South Wales, who are directly descended from the pioneers from the Pyrenees."

This was using Y and mtDNA.

https://www.s4c.cymru/cymrudnawales/e_index.shtml

Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
My younger daughter just got her results back from Family Tree Maker. I've done paper trails genealogy getting back to the 16th Century. My Mom's side was Italian and my Dad's British/Irish. I've also traced my husband's but I won't get into this for the purpose of this thread.

My daughter got 31% Italian, 14% British/Irish, and 4% Spanish (my genes). The latter confirms interesting family folklore. My Maternal Grandma always told me that her family originally came to Italy from Spain many generations ago. She even told me the Spanish Spelling of her surname.

I guess this DNA test confirms Grandma's family lore.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My younger daughter just got her results back from Family Tree Maker.
I think you mean FamilyTreeDNA.

Quote:
I've done paper trails genealogy getting back to the 16th Century. My Mom's side was Italian and my Dad's British/Irish. I've also traced my husband's but I won't get into this for the purpose of this thread.

My daughter got 31% Italian, 14% British/Irish, and 4% Spanish (my genes). The latter confirms interesting family folklore. My Maternal Grandma always told me that her family originally came to Italy from Spain many generations ago. She even told me the Spanish Spelling of her surname.

I guess this DNA test confirms Grandma's family lore.
Not necessarily. It's certainly possible your Italian roots originate in Spain, but lots of Italians get results in Iberia and it doesn't necessarily mean they have Iberian roots, at least not recently. Neighboring regions of Europe just share a lot of DNA among them, making it difficult or sometimes even impossible to tell them apart. Especially at 4% - that's such a small number, it could just be "noise" (like a false positive).

Italians can also get results in the Middle East/Caucasus, or North Africa.

She should upload her results to MyHeritageDNA, Gedmatch, and DNA.land - they are all free and will provide alternate ethnicity reports. You'll see how many they can vary. The ethnicity report is very much an estimate.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:35 AM
AFP

6,064 posts, read 3,629,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Until the Moors invaded from North Africa they were the dominant culture in Spain. Here is an article from Wikipedia documenting their moves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visigoths. I would think that if they had enough people to set up a Visigothic kingdom for three hundred years that the influx could be characterized as large enough to dominate the locals.

If you have information to the contrary, please let me know. I like to know that my facts are reliable.
The current population of the Iberian peninsula carries a minor amount of DNA contributed from the Visogoths. In western Iberia the Suebi left a more significant genetic contribution.(I see this in Y-DNA and mtDNA matches)

Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,918,142 times
I have no Iberian DNA results under 23andme but, using the same test, MyHeritage claims I have 2.2% Iberian. Their notion of Iberia covers everything from SE Ireland to Sicily and over to northern Morocco...and overlaps at least three other regions in Europe. In some respects, 23andme looks like it has more precise regions but then uses the "Broadly..." categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or