U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM

4,310 posts, read 7,296,308 times

Advertisements

I guess it would be slowly arrived at conclusion that one of my favorite and most colorful immigrant ancestors is as verifiable as Santa Claus.

No immigration records
No emigration records
No land patents or sales
No will
No nothing

We have a mythical place of arrival, place of residence, list of children, place of origin, name of spouse, somebody found a guy of his name who disappears from a country church in England and has declared it to be "our ancestor," so we have another 200 years of grafted ancestors found on family treets.

Yet we after literally 100 years of searching, nobody has ever found anything to show this guy existed. Every researcher has said "While I found nothing on XXXX, perhaps future researchers will" before launching into the old stories. After over a century of looking, now with modern tools and record keeping. I am content to say he does not exist as others have presented him.

We have done enough research now to know some old family lore about his man's life were exaggerated and presented as fact back in the early 20th century during the DAR craze and the family as dutifully repeated these claims since then.

Obviously, our first known ancestor through actual primary records had to have a father and mother............they just don't seem to be this guy. So we are off to look in new directions, already have some very strong leads. But man o man, if we ever find enough to go public with our conclusions, there will be LOTS of angry cousins because this ancestor is a the "top line" on thousands of family trees.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-14-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,458,795 times
Learned that one of my ancestors in England was drawn and quartered for treason.
Now that I think about it I had another one, a female ancestor that was captured and raped by the male ancestor.

Have you ever thought about it, if someone was not raped, or if someone for whatever reason had not had sex one particular time you would not be here?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM

14,621 posts, read 2,476,473 times
My least favorite ones are that i discovered i am related to Dr.H.H. Holmes,Joseph Smith,Lee Harvey Oswald,Mark David Chapman,John Hinkley and the Kardashians distanly.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,539,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
My least favorite ones are that i discovered i am related to Dr.H.H. Holmes,Joseph Smith,Lee Harvey Oswald,Mark David Chapman,John Hinkley and the Kardashians distanly.
I would be disappointed in knowing I am related to some of these as well. So far I haven't found so-called famous people in my lines yet.

The only unpleasant events I can think of that I found that are somewhat disappointing is there are more suicides by ancestors in the early 20th century than I thought I would encounter. Whenever I find those, I feel rather sad about them.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:04 PM

14,621 posts, read 2,476,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I would be disappointed in knowing I am related to some of these as well. So far I haven't found so-called famous people in my lines yet.

The only unpleasant events I can think of that I found that are somewhat disappointing is there are more suicides by ancestors in the early 20th century than I thought I would encounter. Whenever I find those, I feel rather sad about them.
Thanks....i suppose we all have skeleltons in our families closets somewhere along the line.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 AM

9,211 posts, read 14,275,487 times
I found my grand aunt, my m-grandmother's sister, was trapped in an abusive marriage. Her husband took her wages, beat her, etc, etc. She filed for divorce, but the case dragged out and was never resolved. This was all back in 1910's, when women didn't have many rights, and the rights they did have were not respected. I knew her, and always thought she was a quiet, dignified lady. Little did I know her sad history until I started my genealogy.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,536,172 times
Not all of my stories can be shared with people I know. There would be some hard feelings.

I may have a half relative. I don't know if his family knows that. His 'known' dad may have been unable to father children because he was an only child. The wife is said to have had an affair with my relative. He resembles our family.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:46 AM

8,384 posts, read 19,447,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Not all of my stories can be shared with people I know. There would be some hard feelings.

I may have a half relative. I don't know if his family knows that. His 'known' dad may have been unable to father children because he was an only child. The wife is said to have had an affair with my relative. He resembles our family.
How old is the person in question?
Been there, done that. Found out at 40 that my dad may not be my dad while he fought terminal cancer. Did DNA a few hours before he passed. He was my dad.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:11 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,536,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How old is the person in question?
Been there, done that. Found out at 40 that my dad may not be my dad while he fought terminal cancer. Did DNA a few hours before he passed. He was my dad.
The person in question passed away a few years back. He was born in 1933 and would have been a half great uncle. His descendants still live in that area. I don't want to start something. If it's true, his children and grandchildren need to make that discovery on their own. It's not something I want to instigate. I'm trying to put together a family history book. I have to be careful because there are some things that could still cause hard feelings. These stories are in the past before I was born, but I don't want to cause friction. One of my aunts became upset with my dad over another story involving her in-laws. I have another shockingly juicy story I can't share because my aunt might be offended. All of the people in that story are dead. My aunt is 80 and I love her so I won't intentionally do anything to upset her

Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 AM

4,310 posts, read 7,296,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The person in question passed away a few years back. He was born in 1933 and would have been a half great uncle. His descendants still live in that area. I don't want to start something. If it's true, his children and grandchildren need to make that discovery on their own. It's not something I want to instigate. I'm trying to put together a family history book. I have to be careful because there are some things that could still cause hard feelings. These stories are in the past before I was born, but I don't want to cause friction. One of my aunts became upset with my dad over another story involving her in-laws. I have another shockingly juicy story I can't share because my aunt might be offended. All of the people in that story are dead. My aunt is 80 and I love her so I won't intentionally do anything to upset her
I hear you. My grandfather was illegitimate. He knew who his father was (now confirmed by DNA) and his father knew he existed, but the two never connected other than in awkward passing and my grandfather never knew if any of this man's other kids ever found out they had a 1/2 sibling. He had some evidence they did not know.

Fast forward to my generation, and this family line pops us as 1st or 2nd cousins on Ancestry, and us as theres. I have a cousin bold enough to list this man in his family tree......we do have his name on a birth certificate too. I have never had the courage/audacity to try and connect with these folks even though they live in the same town. I would love to have old pictures, family stories, etc., but don't feel I "have a right" to ask and possibly change their opinion of their grandfather/great uncle, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or