U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,447,161 times

Advertisements

Naturalization records should give birth town name and immigration date (sometimes the ship name).

If any ever traveled back to Europe for a visit, passport files can be a wonderful resource. I have seen father's names & their birthplaces included.

This is a good resource for Jewish immigrant research
https://stevemorse.org/
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,482,456 times
One of the frustrations of trying to find village locations in Poland is that there may be several villages with the same name scattered throughout the country. It takes logic and research to determine the right village. Old maps also help.

Another problem is that many place names were changed after World War I or World War II and the new name can bear no resemblance to the old name. For example, Danzig is now called Gdansk.

Here is one list of changes but I donít think it is comprehensive: German names for Polish towns and cities

I run into the same problem in the Ukraine, in an area that was part of Poland in the 1700s, controlled by Austria from then to the end of WWI, then part of Poland again, and then part of the Ukraine after WWII. For example, Lemberg is now called Líviv.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 AM

572 posts, read 424,110 times
I found someone! My Polish great-grandfather was born in Radom as per his marriage license. I haven't found anything on other sites that confirms this, though.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I found someone! My Polish great-grandfather was born in Radom as per his marriage license. I haven't found anything on other sites that confirms this, though.
I don’t know if this helps:

Quote:
Volume I, Number 3, Third Issue, published in July 1997, partial contents:

Complete extracts of all Jewish births and marriages in the city of Radom, 1827-1841, transcribed by Lauren Eisenberg Davis
Kielce-Radom Jewish Genealogy Special Interest Group | Jewish Records Indexing - Poland

I found the web page by doing a simple Google search using the keywords - radom birth records genealogy

Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,916,254 times
Quote:

Info from JewishGen on Radom:
https://www.jewishgen.org/Communitie...?usbgn=-524856

Try searching:
Welcome to the Jewish Records Indexing - Poland and JewishGen ďAll Poland DatabaseĒ.
https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Poland/

Remember that the spelling of the surname in these records may differ from the spelling that you are used to seeing, so you can use the soundex (sounds like) search on the surname.

Congrats on your discovery!

Old 11-27-2017, 06:46 AM

8,354 posts, read 12,057,006 times
Quote:
My ancestors are Jewish, too, and I've also been doing research. As mentioned above, Jewishgen.org is a great resource. They have a database by town. When you key in Radom, there is a link to over 1,000 other researchers looking for ancestors in that town. It shows the surnames they are looking for. If you find another person looking for the same surname, you can contact them and try to match up data. I was successful finding another researcher this way looking for mutual ancestors.

https://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/jgcd.php

There is a facebook group that I belong to that is called Tracing the Tribe that is all about people searching Jewish ancestors. There are some very knowledgeable people on there, including some who read Hebrew, Polish, Russian, etc. I highly recommend joining if you are on Facebook.

The stevemorse.org site has been very helpful to me as well in finding ship manifests. Because sometimes the ship manifest lists the name of the town the ancestor came from, his site allows you to search ship manifests by town.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
- There are websites specifically for Jewish genealogy research in Poland. Do a Google search using the words - Jewish genealogy Poland

- I'm not sure if you've picked up all the clues as to origin which might be available in North America. For example, death records and obituaries may list a place of birth which is more specific than a country.

- Your ancestors may already be in the Family Tree at FamilySearch: https://www.familysearch.org
You need to be signed in to search it.
I was going to say the same, see if someone has started a public tree. I then suggest adding the last name to a record search with country, I was able to get a bunch of relatives baptism records this way. Once you see what is there, you can play around with the 1st name search. If you do find records, I suggest starting a tree to attach them. You'll have to have an account to do that.

My relatives are Hungarian. There are FB groups and blogs that will help but most want you to learn to do it yourself, so going to family search may help. There are tutorials on how to find the actual films.

I'll have to search Germany/ Poland too for my daughters paternal grand parents. I found her grandfather coming here but not her grandmother. I have to call her one of these days when I can get a list of questions together. I did her DNA the beginning of the year, she doesn't have many matches.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My relatives are Hungarian. There are FB groups and blogs that will help but most want you to learn to do it yourself, so going to family search may help. There are tutorials on how to find the actual films.
I have used the searchable database called Hungary, Catholic Church Records, 1636-1895 extensively for my paternal relatives born in the 1800s in an area then controlled by Hungary: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1743180

The records I found I linked to profiles in the FamilySearch community tree so if anyone finds a record, they can just click the tree icon associated with the record to be transported to the personís profile and tree.

Note about Hungarian records: German first names were translated to Hungarian equivalent and only the Hungarian name appears on the record. I used the Behind the Name site a lot to find equivalent names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or